Peter Wyngarde RIP - Mandela Effect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peter Wyngarde RIP - Mandela Effect?

Petunia Winegum has died at the age of 90.

Jason King, Klytus, assorted Avengers villains.

RIP

(As noted above, I thought he'd already left us.)

I haven't got a link - though I have the CD - of his solo album. It's quite something, often overly racist and offensive - see one of the tracks ‘Rape', I think it's called. Then there's something about a 'little queer', which iirc at least tries to take the protagonist's side in an account of queer-bashing. All very 70s.

I thought he died years ago.

Comment

Just read that he was gay, I didn't know that. That would explain his attitude on the second song I mentioned.

Comment

Starred in the first TV drama to portray a gay character sympathetically:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...gay-television

I had assumed that his "cottaging" arrest in 1975 ended his career but I think his CV shows that his career was already on the slide before then (Jason King finished in 1972), and he did have some minor comeback roles

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0943936/

Comment

And there never was a blue plaque errected in Gloucester 'bus station, or on the site of its demolition!

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
            Petunia Winegum has died at the age of 90.

Jason King, Klytus, assorted Avengers villains.

RIP

(As noted above, I thought he'd already left us.)
            OY! Fucking "Department 'S'"!

Comment

He was Jason King in "Fucking" Department 'S'...

Comment

I know.

I 'caught' him in about 1969, and the show, and him, continued throughout my life: yes, you can get away with that moustache. You will never be Jason King. And it's ok to be 'lesser', than Jason King.

Comment

For a Times obituary to speculate on your date of birth and therefore age at death, in this day and age, is fascinating.

Comment

So, was he gay?

Comment

I saw a Timeshift special last year on the successive film and TV Sherlock Holmes that have appeared throughout the years and was surprised to note that the bluff, posh-sounding old cove who narrated it was Wyngarde himself, surprised because he could trade on the malevolent purr of his voice at its peak, which - obviously due to passing years - now sounded like a tired old headmaster.

Comment

I've only ever seen one episode of Department S. It doesn't get rolled out as often as other, popular in their day, action shows. Could this be because it was quite short lived and re-run channels prefer continuity in their schedules?

Seeing a photograph of PW in full Jason King mode never fails to lift the mood though. Interesting life, including the mystery around his early days.

Comment

In Harry Enfield's spoof The Playboys, who is the playboy who isn't Martin Clunes or Enfield himself?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh9XzFhGI8g

Comment

I have no idea.

Comment

Working...
                            X