It's Trigger!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Trigger!

I was watching the film version of "The Magus" last week, and was quite enjoying the sumptuous photography and meandering storyline. One of the main characters is an enigmatic Greek man called Conchis. He is played with much gravitas by Antony Quinn, and there is one flashback scene which explains a romantic episode of the young Conchis.

The problem is that the young Conchis is played by Roger Lloyd Pack (Trigger in Only Fools and Horses).

At the point when I should have been digesting the backstory of Conchis, I was marvelling at how young Trigger looked, and recalling my favourite Trigger moments from Only Fools and Horses.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience, when the spell of a a film is broken by the connotation of an actor?

The same actor in The Naked Civil Servant.

Comment

As soon as I open my gob, Pollock slaps a solo off him.*

*Oops. This isn't the baseball thread?

Comment

I love the Long Good Friday, but one of the main characters being Charlie from Casualty really throws me at times.

Roger Lloyd Pack popped up as a foreign assassin in an episode of the Professionals. That really puts you off the whole thing.

Comment

Stephen Fry in just about anything but especially the 2nd Hobbit film.
          Matt Lucas in Alice in Wonderland.
          Chris O'Dowd in Bridesmaids and trying an American accent in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

Comment

Trigger was also in Interview With The Vampire with Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt.

*I just had a look at his imdb page, and I bet he would be great to play "6 Degrees..." with.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
              I love the Long Good Friday, but one of the main characters being Charlie from Casualty really throws me at times.

Roger Lloyd Pack popped up as a foreign assassin in an episode of the Professionals. That really puts you off the whole thing.
              The Professionals is full of them. Like radio operator Pierce Brosnan, in the back of a not-at-all-suspicious blue CI5 Transit van.

Comment

Brosnan was of course also in The Long Good Friday.

I was watching The Wire with my brother when Clarke Peters (who played Albert Lambreaux) was on screen. My bro knew he'd seen him before somewhere. Turned out it was in The Professionals in the early 80s playing an African dictator.

Comment

Brian "George & Mildred" Murphy in The Devils
                  Brian "Alf Roberts" Moseley in Get Carter

Danny Baker talks about watching a love scene in a film, featuring Roy "Mr Roy" North and Gabrielle Drake.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

I wonder if anyone was watching Only Fools and Horses and was chilled to the bone when the nasty foreign assassin from The Professionals came on!

Comment

Speaking of Get Carter, Glynn Edwards (Dave the genial barman from Minder) turns up in both Get Carter as an unpleasant gangster, and Zulu as a fearsome Welsh army corporal.

Comment

Julius Harris going from being the gentle Clancy in "Salty" to Idi Amin in "Victory At Entebbe" within just three years.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                          The Professionals is full of them. Like radio operator Pierce Brosnan, in the back of a not-at-all-suspicious blue CI5 Transit van.
                          The same episode features Ruby Wax and Jonathan Morris out of "Bread" - http://www.mark-1.co.uk/Professionals/d08.htm

Comment

It took me a long time to get used to seeing Mike Reid in EastEnders without expecting him to shout, "Runaraaaaand NAAAAAH!".

Comment

One episode also had Charles Dance as a mercenary and I recall David Suchet also on baddie duty in another. I was once taken aback by coming across an episode of Minder with one grim-faced East End villain played by...Derek Jacobi.

Comment

Minder - Ray Winstone as Terry's mechanic friend, Stephen Rea as an estranged father, Brian Blessed as a bent copper in cahoots with Ian McShane, Peter Capadi as a Glaswegian telecoms engineer, Jimmy Nail as somebody I've forgotten, Michael Kitchen as a conman chased by Don Henderson, Mel Smith as a gangland boss in the music industry.

The Professionals - Ian McDiarmid (The Emperor) was the baddie in the first ever episode, Maurice Denham was a businessman that was webbed uo with a local politician played by the actor that played Del Boy's dad.
                                Last edited by Kowalski; 08-10-2017, 16:30.

Comment

Originally posted by ian.64 View Post
                                  One episode also had Charles Dance as a mercenary and I recall David Suchet also on baddie duty in another.
                                  I read somewhere that David Suchet appeared as Inspector Japp in Poirot (where Peter Ustinov played the Belgian detective) prior to the more recent TV series.

Comment

One episode also had Charles Dance as a mercenary and I recall David Suchet also on baddie duty in another. I was once taken aback by coming across an episode of Minder with one grim-faced East End villain played by...Derek Jacobi.
                                    I thought I saw Derek Jacobi in the hospitality bit at Gigg one afternoon. I asked our chairman at the time, the bluff and straight-talking Brian Fenton, if it was him. "Wouldn't know, kid. I wouldn't Derek Jacobi if I fuckin fell o'er 'im" came the reply.

Comment

Cheggers in Roman Polanski's Macbeth.

Comment

I read somewhere that David Suchet appeared as Inspector Japp in Poirot (where Peter Ustinov played the Belgian detective) prior to the more recent TV series.

He did indeed but didn't distinguish himself very well, sadly. Mind you, the adaptation was one of these strange affairs where Poirot and his chums were brought into the modern era (at that time, the 80s). If that sounds as if it were a pile of pants, you're right.

Ace Chris Morris satire, Nathan Barley, features Benedict Cumberbatch in a small role as a hapless office wonk.

Comment

George Costanza in Jacob's Ladder was a freaky moment.

Comment

Dr. Terrors' House of Horrors will still boggle the mind while Alan 'Fluff' Freeman shares the cast list with Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee and Donald Sutherland.

Comment

In fact, Donald Sutherland's early career in 60's Blighty, with appearances in such shows as The Avengers, remains an unusual prelude to his later, much more stellar work in American cinema.

Comment

Dr. Terrors' House of Horrors will still boggle the mind while Alan 'Fluff' Freeman shares the cast list with Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee and Donald Sutherland.
                                                You're forgetting Roy Castle and Kenny Lynch.

Comment

Mick Fleetwood in The Running Man. Directed by Starsky.

Guy Siner ('Allo 'Allos Lieutenant Gruber) in Doctor Who - Genesis of the Daleks.

While on an 'Allo 'Allo thing, Kim Hartman, who plays Helga, is the aunt of Batman / Inception / Dunkirk director Christopher Nolan.
                                                  Last edited by Snake Plissken; 08-10-2017, 21:15.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X