Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Those include one of the forcible rape charges, which were the most serious he faced.

The jury deadlocked on three others and acquitted him on a lesser charge

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    Weinstein has been found guilty of 3 of 7 charges in his Los Angeles trial after almost three weeks of jury deliberations.

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-ag-settlement

The New York attorney general’s office released a sweeping report Wednesday that detailed an elaborate cover-up at the highest levels of CBS in late 2017 and 2018 to try to contain allegations of sexual harassment by former chief Leslie Moonves.

The report comes five years after a Los Angeles Police Department captain tipped off CBS executives, telling them a woman had come to the department’s Hollywood station to report that Moonves had allegedly assaulted her in the 1980s.

“Somebody walked in the station about a couple hours ago and made allegations against your boss regarding a sexual assault,” the police captain said in a Nov. 10, 2017, voicemail message left for a CBS executive, according to the report. “It’s confidential, as you know, but call me.”

Over the next few months, the LAPD captain — whose role was not previously revealed — secretly provided Moonves and CBS executives with status updates on the LAPD’s investigation as well as personal details about the alleged accuser, the attorney general’s office said. The captain slipped CBS a copy of the accuser’s report, and top CBS executives then “began investigating the victim’s personal circumstances and that of her family,” the report said.

The police captain was friendly with CBS executives because he had been part of Moonves’ security detail for the Grammy Awards for several years, according to the document.

Both sides sought to downplay the gravity of the woman’s complaint, which came as the #MeToo movement was reaching a fever pitch. CBS executives were assured by the captain that LAPD “implemented controls to prevent news of the police report from leaking to the press,” the document said.

“Hopefully we can kill media from PD. Then figure [sic] what [Complainant #1] wants,” Moonves wrote the captain and a CBS assistant in one text message obtained by the attorney general.

More than eight months went by before the public became aware of the allegations against Moonves.
    The attorney general’s report detailed CBS’ campaign to conceal the issue — all while publicly asserting that the company had no tolerance for sexual harassment.

A week after Golden-Gottlieb lodged her complaint, CBS executives were grappling with reports about inappropriate behavior by morning show host Charlie Rose. Moonves approved the decision to fire Rose, telling reporters that he felt that Rose needed to go.

Moonves on Nov. 25, 2017, requested an in-person meeting with the police captain. He and an underling, Ian Metrose, met with the captain at a restaurant and vineyard in Westlake Village to plan strategy. The police officer volunteered to come wearing a suit, rather than his uniform, according to the report. Metrose could not be reached for comment.

“During the meeting Moonves said that he wanted the LAPD investigation closed and discussed contacting other public officials,” the prosecutors wrote.

Four days later, at Variety magazine’s Innovate Summit, Moonves called #MeToo “a watershed moment,” according to the report. It quoted Moonves as saying: “It’s important that a company’s culture will not allow for this.”

The next day, according to the report, Metrose passed along a message to Moonves from the LAPD captain, who alerted them that another police officer would be wrapping up the report on Golden-Gottlieb’s complaint the following week: "[H]owever, it’s a definite REJECT - no witnesses and/or corroborative Evidence.”

As The Times previously reported, members of CBS’ board became aware of the allegations by Golden-Gottlieb by early 2018. An outside law firm was brought in to review information about allegations and the police inquiry but concluded that “no further investigation was warranted,” sources told The Times in 2018.

Behind the scenes, then-CBS Vice Chair Shari Redstone, the controlling shareholder, had learned from reporters about sexual harassment allegations involving Moonves, the report said. She told another board member about reporters’ pursuit of the Moonves story.

Redstone began agitating for a board investigation — and sweeping changes at the company.

In July 2018, the New Yorker magazine published the first of several articles by investigative reporter Ronan Farrow, detailing the allegations of six women who alleged Moonves assaulted or harassed them. Farrow’s report prompted swift action. CBS’ board hired two prominent law firms to investigate Moonves and the company’s culture. The board then fired Moonves on Sept. 9, 2018.

That day, the LAPD captain emailed Metrose saying: “I’m so sorry to hear this news, Ian. Sickens me. We worked so hard to try to avoid this day.”

The captain sent a note to Moonves two days later: “I’m deeply sorry that this has happened. I will always stand with, by and pledge my allegiance to you. You have embodied leadership, class and the highest of character through all of this.”

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Spacey update:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...ards-producers

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    I am so cynical about what he tried to pull off during his trial that I'm afraid I don't believe that this is not just some further ploy to get him off proper clink and into a nice cushy jail via a week in a hospital room.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    I'm genuinely unsure if I'd prefer him to die from this or have to suffer a decade or so in prison before dying there.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Prison officials have told the local paper that Weinstein is one of two inmates to test positive for COVID-19

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    I think that the choice was determined more by proximity to New York while ensuring distance from major media than anything else. I wonder if they drove him up there.
    Last edited by ursus arctos; 19-03-2020, 16:59.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    Nice place to spend the rest of your life. /sarcasm

Buffalo is where he and Bob are from, but whether that had any impact on the location is beyond me.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Weinstein has been transferred to a maximum security Federal prison near Buffalo pending his final assignment

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    Yeah. Whatever Corbyn is or isn't, he certainly isn't associated with this rapist. His school kid behavior of chest pains makes me all the more happy he has a sentence long enough that he can't do this bullshit forever.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    I'll just leave it there, then.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Other threads are already dedicated to the topic. I don't think any minds can be changed by debating it because judgments seem to be based on gut feelings in the absence of any smoking guns. For example, it's entirely subjective whether you think his meeting a Palestinian leader implies endorsement of that leader's utterances about Jews. I was just addressing the name pronunciation issue specifically, where I think Corbyn made an error of judgment but not in any way an antisemitic one.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Not directed at you WOM. it's just a subject that I've seen done to absolute death on social media and I really have no desire to ever have to sit through it again.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

Let's not do this. please.
    ?

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Originally posted by WOM View Post
    I know almost nothing about Corbyn, but he gets labeled an anti-semite fairly regularly. Is there anything behind it? And if not, how do they get away with hanging it on him so often?
    Let's not do this. please.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    I know almost nothing about Corbyn, but he gets labeled an anti-semite fairly regularly. Is there anything behind it? And if not, how do they get away with hanging it on him so often?

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Originally posted by Flynnie View Post

Aka Jeremy Corbyn is a huge antisemite for pronouncing Epstein the way a Yiddish speaker would. I assume it's an opaque reference to that too.
    He's not an antisemite but I think you have to respect the way a person chooses to pronounce their own name.

Leave a comment:

• Flynnie
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Guy doesn't approve of the pronunciation many Jewish emigrés adopted in order to make themselves seem less foreign
    Aka Jeremy Corbyn is a huge antisemite for pronouncing Epstein the way a Yiddish speaker would. I assume it's an opaque reference to that too.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    Ugh.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    He had another bout of chest pains after the verdict and is back at Bellevue

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    It would be terrible if this convicted rapist died in jail.

Absolutely terrible.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    There was a good tweet about calling him 'convicted rapist' instead of 'disgraced movie producer '.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    He was referred to on the front page of one of the papers as a "rapist mogul" today. Mrs Thistle said it made him sound like that was actually the way he became a mogul. Like a newspaper mogul.owns newspapers.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    You just don't . . .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X