The Downfall of Harvey Weinstein?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bruno
    Speaking of comedians reacting to it, Jon Stewart was asked about the rumors last year during question time after an interview by David Axelrod at the University of Chicago. He appeared genuine in saying he hadn't heard about them, and genuinely surprised. Which seems curious given that people are now saying that everyone knew. I wouldn't peg Stewart as the kind of guy to dissemble on that.
    Stewart had to have known about them after that, and Louis was going to be on Stewart's charity HBO special that is coming up. He's now been removed.

Comment

I'll be very surprised if this doesn't get discussed in comedian podcast land. I don't see any way Joe Rogan could avoid it, for example. Or Bill Burr. There's gonna be tons of discomfort to work through.
      Maron has said that he will be talking about it on WTF.

Comment

I've said zero objectionable things on this thread. I'll spell out my views in full to please the moral grandstanders who like to blow their police whistles and fill in the things I didn't say for me on the assumption that I'm stupid, and then I'm seriously fucking done with this place. You won't miss me and I won't miss you.
        Yes we will. Or I will anyway. Please reconsider

Comment

Ditto.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
            Maron has said that he will be talking about it on WTF.
            Maron and him have been thick as thieves for their entire careers. If he doesn't come straight out and say "I knew all about it and I did nothing", I'll be deeply disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
              Ditto.

What he didn't say.

Comment

Aye me too

Comment

Though that's possibly a poor choice of phrase on this thread. Let's go with "I agree with them"

Comment

For the record, I think he'll miss me.

Comment

So you think I want to "explain away" sex crimes. Go fuck yourself.
                      I never said you want to explain the behavior away. I said that cultivating the theme of having changed is a classic first step on any path to doing so. It crosses the mind of anyone when something obscene comes out about someone you have a like (or love) for - be it someone famous, a friend or a family member.

I understand that you were just sounding thoughts out. It is not an area where I like to see any sense of caveats being voiced - even in the process of trying to come to reason with what has happened. No good can come from it.

Anyway - with that hopefully cleared up, please don't flounce based on all this. I will leave rest of your tantrum alone as you know as little about others on here as we all know about you.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...ories-are-true

I bet Louis CK gets forgiven a lot quicker than those others.
                        Last edited by Gerontophile; 10-11-2017, 20:03.

Comment

I doubt the Sheen thing. The Enquirer? C’mon.

Comment

Speaking of comedians reacting to it, Jon Stewart was asked about the rumors last year during question time after an interview by David Axelrod at the University of Chicago. He appeared genuine in saying he hadn't heard about them, and genuinely surprised. Which seems curious given that people are now saying that everyone knew. I wouldn't peg Stewart as the kind of guy to dissemble on that.
                            Stewart hasn’t been part of the stand-up scene for a long time and he was in New York and his farm in New Jersey while most of people involved are probably in LA. So it’s not surprising that he hadn’t heard.

Whenever somebody says “everyone knows” something, usually that’s not true. Some people just aren’t clued in to gossip or even the actual news.

Comment

Louis CK's career will probably just suffer a setback. The narrative will be one of scale, and it'll be the really bad guys who'll go down; your Cosbys and Weinsteins and, perhaps, Spaceys. The sexual casual harassers get a pass, and with Louis CK the logic will be that he didn't force himself on anybody but just had a little wank. And that will be the signal that Hollywood and society still don't get the power relations.

Comment

Probs so. HBO to give him a special within two years. I’d imagine Spacey is completely toast, and possibly looking at jailtime. Unless he kills himself maybe and people start to feel sorry for him, I doubt any of his films from the rare decent one like Usual Suspects to Oscar bait shite like American Beauty, let alone pure pish like Ordinary Decent Criminal or that creepy as fuck Bobby Darin biopic, will get much airtime on TV or Netflix ever again. Doubt anyone anywhere will miss his turn as Lex Luthor in that terrible drear Superman film though.

And I see Bryan Singer’s name surfacing again, talking of shite superhero reboots and good the first time twisty movies.

Ach Bruno. Gonnae no go away?
                                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 10-11-2017, 21:54.

Comment

Anthony Edwards (the balding guy in ER) has now come forward about being molested from the age of 12 by Gary Goddard, who apparently directed the live action Cultural Chernobyl that is He-Man.

Goddard’s new film is a co-directed smells of shite in tap shoes thing called Broadway 4D. The co-director is Bryan Singer. Yeuch.

Comment

I don't follow the logic that "maybe he's changed" leads to excusing of the original crimes, unless you think claims to have changed are always insincere and false, and that anyone who thinks such change is possible is susceptible to excusing bad behaviour.

Comment

Stating that the situation caused by Louis CK is sad is not equal to being sympathetic towards him or letting him off the hook.

Comment

Props to him for coming straight out the same day and saying "these accusations are true". Of course, he wrote too much and the whole statement is being dissected and parsed for imperfect language, wording, etc. But it's exactly what we'd have said we'd wanted. So, I mean, good first step. And I agree, saying the situation is 'sad' doesn't mean you feel sad for him. Which, of course, you might do too.

Comment

I was more sympathetic to LCK until I saw that he denied any truth to these claims when asked about them a few weeks ago, before the specifics came out.

Comment

I'm very glad you are (at least currently) continuing to contribute Bruno.

I'd have been upset to have been accused of explaining away LCK's actions, and I don't think dglh was as clear in his initial point as he could have been - we rarely are, I suppose, I've redrafted this post several times and I'm still not happy with the nuance.

But I think your accusation that his motive is grandstanding (virtue signalling?) is pretty offensive too. I think the "tantrum" quote was ascribing the accusation to anger, which I hope it was.

In sum, I'd like us all to get along.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                              I was more sympathetic to LCK until I saw that he denied any truth to these claims when asked about them a few weeks ago, before the specifics came out.
                                              Well, shit. Seriously. Who among us would voluntarily sink their own ship based on someone asking for confirmation / denial of 'widespread rumours'?

I mean, if you're running for office and someone asks "Hey, ever cheated on your wife?" and you'd done it once, 15 years ago, would you take that opportunity on the dais to come clean? Or would you maybe wait to see if it was more than a fishing expedition?

Comment

Etienne's avatar pic is so close to Amor's (at a glance) that I read that whole post in his 'voice'.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                                  Well, shit. Seriously. Who among us would voluntarily sink their own ship based on someone asking for confirmation / denial of 'widespread rumours'?

I mean, if you're running for office and someone asks "Hey, ever cheated on your wife?" and you'd done it once, 15 years ago, would you take that opportunity on the dais to come clean? Or would you maybe wait to see if it was more than a fishing expedition?
                                                  I'd not then expect any props for later admitting it once the details were public.

Comment

Right

Comment

Working...
                                                    X