T2 Trainspotting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T2 Trainspotting

I only caught up with this yesterday. It tried very hard to recapture the subversive thrills of the first film but failed because it's an impossible task to bring back those characters convincingly into the present. They should already be dead for starters. Stretching those characters across a sequel just exposes their limitations, and it's too big an ask for Johnny Lee Miller, for example, to strip back everything he's done since 1996 and be believable as an Edinburgh cokehead pimp.

It also became very knowing. McGregor and Miller riffing is more about the actors' shared history with the audience and a believable relationship between the characters, even at a comedy level. Ewen Bremner's gurning is not enjoyable in the slightest, and the ending would embarrass a sitcom spin-off.

I dunno, I enjoyed it. I have no idea what Johnny Lee Miller has done since then so I didn't find that distracting.

I just wanted to see more of Diane.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
      I dunno, I enjoyed it. I have no idea what Johnny Lee Miller has done since then so I didn't find that distracting.

I just wanted to see more of Diane.
      Me too.

Comment

I thought it was very disappointing. The story didn't need a sequel, it had reached a natural full stop. The film felt like it was reaching too far to recreate the spirit of the original, set piece after set piece. Good soundtrack though I suppose.

Comment

I enjoyed it, thought it had just the right amount of nostalgia for the original but with enough new stuff to make it engaging.
          Plus, and this is generally my most important thing in a film nowadays, it was less than 2 hours long.

Comment

Looks like I'll be giving it a miss so. I generally really dislike Danny Boyle films and nothing I've heard on this convinces me it'll be anything different. It'll be flashy cuts and knowing references to the first fillum. Fuck that pish.

Comment

And Ewan Mcgregor and that fuckin accent man. Enunciating every fuckin syllable, like Aiden Gillen he's so shit at accents he can't convince whether yank or Jock (Substitute Irish for Gillen obvs) or stage English.
              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 31-07-2017, 18:12.

Comment

This presented itself as a choice on Netflix the other night, so we lazily pressed the button. Enjoyed it well enough, while appreciating the reservations expressed above. But please, no T3.

Comment

I thought it was awful, and a pointless money maker.

Comment

The definitive "I've run out of ideas let's make a sequel to the hit" movie. Had its moments but so do commercial breaks.

Comment

It was on actual telly tonight. I kind of enjoyed bits of it, but only the bits that you would enjoy because you, like the characters, had aged twenty-five years along with them. I thought Begbie's redemption moment with his son was going to be the moment it was all going to end up "Full Monty", but then they fuck it up again. Irvine Welsh being Spud all along was the worst reveal since that spoiler right there.

Comment

Was never much of a fan of the original, to be honest.

Comment

The book is massively flawed, but way superior to the Britpop encrusted fillum.

Comment

Watched this last night after it had sat on my Tivo for months.

Yes it's a shit film but I enjoyed it having because I was a huge fan of the original book, and on the whole I liked the treatment it got on screen.

But Ewan McGregor, man... pretty much stunk out the screen, comprehensively out-acted by Miller, Carlisle and Bremner.

It would actually make a better film without the Renton character - Sick Boy struggling to hustle and pimp with younger, rougher gangsters and the East European influx, hopelessly coke-addled, dyeing his hair to still appear credible to the 20 and 30 somethings who run the show... Begbie reconnecting with his family, adapting to a changed world after 20 years inside, Spud still a fuck up but ever hopeful...
                            Instead we have Renton and the £4,000 he owes two of them, the lack of which supposedly ruined their lives... fucksake, Sick Boy has a £20k grow underneath his pub, unless it's not his, in which case they could show whose it is and the pressure he is under, but nah, here's Ewan McGregor, George Best played for Hibs... tch.

Comment

Working...
                            X