Podcasts Wot OTF People Are Listening To And Recommend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
    I'm getting way into the History of England podcast.
    https://thehistoryofengland.co.uk/
    He's also doing History of Scotland now for "members only." It's overwhelming, but I joined for a few bucks.

Also getting way into Peter Rollins, whose a theologian and philosopher, of sorts, talking about a kind of atheist Christianity, but it isn't what it sounds like.

Also, Rob Bell, who does a lot of stuff with Peter Rollins and is friends with Pete Holmes, who I'm a big fan of. He used to be a pastor, but broke away from the conservative scene and now writes and talks about a number of things. He also consults and teaches on public speaking and writing.

I'm a big fan of The Hilarious World of Depression. Its interviews with comedians (stand-up or other kinds of professional funny people) about their battle with depression. Andy Richter, Gary Gulman, Rachel Bloom, and a some others. Highly recommended for anyone interested in humanity.

I also like the Marc Maron show. Interviews with assorted people - mostly comics or actors, but not always.

Comment

I've been listening to the Blindboy podcast the last few days.
      By jove he's an odd chap. Entertaining but odd.

Comment

Originally posted by Sash View Post
        Back on the Totally Football Show today with Ian Irving, Daniel Storey & Caroline Barker standing in for James, who is skiing.
        https://audioboom.com/posts/6669885-...ie-adam-s-neck
        (Very pleased with it tbh. Reckon it's my best one so far.)
        Nice one sash. Will give it a listen.

Comment

Go find A Very Fatal Murder from The Onion. Bite sized at 15 minutes and very, very funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
            I'm getting way into the History of England podcast.
            https://thehistoryofengland.co.uk/
            This looks like exactly what I've been looking for - thanks. You may not hear from me again for some time...

Comment

I listened to the first five episodes of the history of the Islamic world and Caliphs in Spain from Flashpoint History. Very good.

Comment

The Edge with Joey Barton. An appalling title, an appalling pod description, an appalling first 30 seconds intro leading into an absolutely fascinating interview with Sean Dyche. More exploring management and leadership with football as the "hook" as opposed to old players telling stories. I found it massively interesting, honest and refreshingly devoid of cliche.

Subsequent episodes have Alistair Campbell, Clive Woodward and Gary Neville. I really recommend you put aside any prejudices about the host and give it 10 minutes to see if you like it.

Comment

Richard Herring's Leicester Square podcast. Sometimes it's great for positive reasons (e.g. Johnny Vegas and Sarah Millican are excellent episodes) but my personal favourite is this absolute car crash with Andrew Collins, which exposes Collins as an incredibly insecure narcissist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5sCjCePYvg

Comment

The Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project is back!

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                      Richard Herring's Leicester Square podcast. Sometimes it's great for positive reasons (e.g. Johnny Vegas and Sarah Millican are excellent episodes) but my personal favourite is this absolute car crash with Andrew Collins, which exposes Collins as an incredibly insecure narcissist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5sCjCePYvg
                      I've not seen that but will give it a watch - there is a lot of history there, the podcast they did together was increasingly fractious even before their actual falling out.

Comment

an incredibly insecure narcissist
                        Not exactly unusual for a comic.

Comment

Talking World Cup with Mark Chapman & Jason Burt on BBC Radio 5 Live tonight right after the 9 o'clock news.

Comment

Admittedly it was shooting fish in a barrel, but the recent Smershpod discussion of Zardoz was very entertaining.

Comment

It's the subject of a pretty great double episode of HDTGM as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                Admittedly it was shooting fish in a barrel, but the recent Smershpod discussion of Zardoz was very entertaining.
                                Yep, sure was.

I spent most of yesterday going through the episodes I'd somehow missed, with "Meteor" and "North Sea Hijack" being particular favourites.

Comment

Originally posted by Sash View Post
                                  Talking World Cup with Mark Chapman & Jason Burt on BBC Radio 5 Live tonight right after the 9 o'clock news.
                                  The pod: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p061x34p
                                  (I am on early doors, 01:00-08:30)

Comment

Back on TFS with James, Matt Davies & Daniel Storey.
                                    https://audioboom.com/posts/6767804-...atan-the-great
                                    The main takeaway is that Pontus Wernbloom is coming for Arsenal & he's gonna f*** them up.

Comment

Not a podcast but... well... it was a lovely hour of television:
                                      http://sport.bt.com/video/golazzo-th...91364261396113

Comment

Monday's TFS. Caroline Barker stood in for James, who was off playing with trains.
                                        I was in with Michael Cox and Ian Irving. We all went off to play football at Old Trafford afterwards.
                                        https://audioboom.com/posts/6865081-...ian-travelogue

Comment

Some podcasts I'd like to recommend:

Lexicon Valley – a podcast about language. Good god, how did I miss this before. It's incredible*–*funny, learned, timely, sometimes boisterous, genuinely enlightening. Really one of the most amazing podcasts about language I've encountered. Note: I started at the start, and I'm still only up to 2015.

Outside Podcast –*about the great outdoors, but especially their Science Of Survival series, which is a fascinating premise of examining how and why people and things die, from dehydration to freezing to death to getting stung by bees to whatever else you can imagine.

Like others, I'm rather enjoying Max Rushden on Football Weekly – enthused, informed, eager to draw his contributors in. Bit puppyish, but the enthusiasm gets him a long way.

Comment

My god, how could I forget The Tip-Off? A fantastic podcast recounting how some of the best contemporary investigative journalism as done. These stories of “how” are as gripping as the headlines themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                              Like others, I'm rather enjoying Max Rushden on Football Weekly – enthused, informed, eager to draw his contributors in. Bit puppyish, but the enthusiasm gets him a long way.
                                              Yes, I've rather given up on the the Totally Football podcast. As someone suggested upthread, James Richardson is starting to come across as a bit unenthused about football, whereas Max Rushden actually seems to like it - as if he's slightly embarrassed that he's got a job that he really enjoys. Plus the other podcast now has a betting section which puts me right off.

Others I've been listening to:

Limetown - episodic conspiracy thriller about a deserted town, new season later this year
                                              The Hyacinth Disaster - slightly amateurish but fun sci-fi story about miners in trouble on a remote asteroid
                                              War Stories - military history

My favourite remains Headphone Commute - occasional long mixes of ambient/modern classical/drone/minimalist electronica.

Comment

Put me on the list for Rushden and his fixed and floating selection of panellists. It's good to hear the stalwarts like Barry, Barney et al, along with a consistently fresh rotation of newer arrivals like Priya Ramesh (excellent) Archie Rhind-Tutt etc.

And they sound as though they enjoy what they're doing. This comes from Rushden.

Comment

Totally World Cup preview. Groups A, B, C.
                                                  I deliver the most negative assessment of Russia's chances you'll hear but I am well excited about Peru.
                                                  https://audioboom.com/posts/6886705-...nd-c-previewed
                                                  (with James, Michael Cox, Tom Williams and Matt Stanger)

Comment

Btw both pods were well represented in Kiev.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X