X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Lewisohn interview I have not heard before, on Get Back:

https://www.marklewisohn.net/2019/05...2-spring-1969/

Comment

The pod. A bit giddy from my double-header of Chelsea-City & Brentford-Liverpool on Saturday.
      https://podfollow.com/totallyfootbal...b25301dba/view
      (Jimbo + Daniel, Colin & Sash)

Comment

Having followed Nishlord's advice in the latest Chart Music, I gave Tomorrow's World Audit Time a listen. It's quite impressive to be fair, and I've enjoyed all of the episodes and wait patiently for the next one.

Comment

Talked a lot of Sheriff yesterday
          TFS - on the pitch (27:00-34:00)
          https://podfollow.com/totallyfootbal...7c97a7567/view
          BBC - off the pitch (22:00-35:00)
          https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09xdr3p

Comment

I normally like the Distraction podcast from Defector, with Drew Magary and David Roth. Mostly sports, but not strictly. But yesterday they had a food writer on who is supposedly an Arsenal fan, so they shoehorned in talking about Arsenal to talk about sports in the episode, and it was painful. She definitely knew more about soccer than Drew and David, but she seemed to say that Arsenal under Wenger was always finishing 4th and annoying their fans, and she kept pronouncing it Wenger as "Wayn-er." Then at the end the issue of undefeated sports teams came up and she didn't even mention the Invincibles season! Also, David said that The Damned United was about Man Utd (admittedly, he said he never read it or saw the movie). Jesus Christ!

Comment

Alexei Sayle's recent podcasts have been excellent, with an A-Z of Leftist thought, and an interview with Jeremy Corbyn. The link works if you click on 'Google Podcasts'

Last edited by Vicarious Thrillseeker; 01-10-2021, 15:01.

Comment

The best thing I’ve discovered recently via Spotify podcasts is ‘Retrospect: 60’s Garage Punk Show’ which is actually a radio show from Free Radio in Hamilton, NZ presented by a guy called Phil Grey who just knows and loves this stuff. It’s absolutely great.

Comment

I enjoyed listening today to this ten part (but short and punchy episodes) series Death By Conspiracy, on disinformation and Covid denial, on the BBC today. It's straightforward, to the point, a good dispassionate investigation into someone who needlessly died from Covid.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/series/m0014ywx

Comment

Not a podcast as such but there was a fascinating five part Radio 4 programme recently discussing demography and how population trends effect the world economy. Amol Rajan presents and keeps things moving along nicely. It’s on Sounds App.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001326k

Comment

In my ongoing obsession with the Second World War I'm listening to The History of the Second World War, which is so comprehensive that at episode 85 we're just up to The Night of Broken Glass/Kristallnacht which happened in November 1938...

Comment

How many more episodes are there?

Comment

That sounds a bit like The British History Podcast by US academic Jamie Jeffers, which is so comprehensive he's only just recently got to the Norman Conquest at some 370 episodes in. It's taken him a full decade. At this rate he ought to catch up with the present in perhaps only another 15-20 years.

Comment

On a similar theme we’ve just watched the current series of three episodes of ‘Rise of the Nazis’ on BBC 2 (and iplayer) which focused on Hitler’s attack of the eastern front and the Battle of Stalingrad. Fascinating and harrowing on equal measure.

Comment

Rise Of The Nazis will be a must watch once again.

Some of the ‘big subject’ podcasts move so slowly as to be almost glacial. Kevin Stroud’s imperious History Of English Podcast is just about to celebrate its tenth anniversary, and it hasn’t reached Shakespeare yet. That said, it felt like a huge achievement when it officially reached modern English, after a hundred or so hours of broadcasting

Comment

Yes, I recall I either found the History of Britain one while searching for the History of English one, or vice versa (having seen one recommended on here originally), and subscribed to both at the same time – then promptly found myself staring into the abyss of 400-odd combined episodes. I've still barely scratched the surface of either, and between the pair of them there's nearly 550 episodes now.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                  How many more episodes are there?
                                  No idea but so far it's taken 85 episodes to go from the end of WW1 to the eve of WW2, so I'd guess quite a lot more... there's a fair bit to cover.

Just to clarify episode 85 is the most current episode and they come out one per week.

Comment

Oh wow, The Age of Napoleon is pretty much rushing through the time as he's up to 1805 in just 86 episodes

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                      That sounds a bit like The British History Podcast by US academic Jamie Jeffers, which is so comprehensive he's only just recently got to the Norman Conquest at some 370 episodes in. It's taken him a full decade. At this rate he ought to catch up with the present in perhaps only another 15-20 years.
                                      If anything, I'd have thought it would take even longer because the closer you get to the modern day, the more we know about the world. If he can wring almost 400 episodes out the period up to and including the freaking dark ages, just imagine how thorough later periods could be.

I did two of these series, football-wise. One was twenty episodes and one was ten, and I thought that was pushing it. I'm really tempted by a lot of these subjects, but that number of episodes is just too daunting. We've done getting on for 400 200% podcasts, but listening to them ALL is a big ask.

Comment

I can't think of any I've missed Ian. Looking forward to the next TV ones - they were fantastic, and got me hooked on Cluedo on Youtube for a weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                                          If anything, I'd have thought it would take even longer because the closer you get to the modern day, the more we know about the world. If he can wring almost 400 episodes out the period up to and including the freaking dark ages, just imagine how thorough later periods could be.
                                          Well indeed, the same thought went through my head Ian! I offered that relatively low figure on the basis that technically he's already covered all the way from Neolithic times up to the end of the Anglo-Saxons within 'just' this last decade, and there's 'only' another millennium or so to go.

But yes, given that there's exponentially more information available for the centuries he's got coming up, another 15-20 years might prove a conservative estimate. Perhaps 2066 might be a reasonable deadline instead, for the thousandth anniversary of the Norman Conquest.

Comment

Mon 28 Feb
                                            James + Daniel Storey, Natalie Gedra & Sash
                                            Ukraine, Wembley & other football.
                                            https://podfollow.com/totallyfootbal...eb9b73159/view

Comment

There's a really tremendous pod out at the moment from the APM Reports people, an investigative reporting body which contributes to public broadcasting media in the states a fair bit. I think they're based in Minneapolis.

They have a podcast called Sent Away, done in collab with the Salt Lake Tribune, which examines the regulation of residential teen treatment centres (so called), which mostly seem to be located in that part of the States. It's shocking and illuminating of the many chronic structural failings which failing kids. But, it's gripping, and like everything APM seem to be involved with, like the astonishing In The Dark documentaries, it doesn't just tell you the 'what' of sad and tragic situations but strives to examine the how and why as well.

Comment

Jon Ronson s excellent Things Fell Apart won the best UK podcast the other day

Comment

Can someone with a much better memory than me help me out with something? I don't think this was in the podcast thread but hopefully I will get to where I need to be: there was a podcast posted about songwriters who are brought in strictly to write contemporary hits (to smooth out stuff that is close). This was a BBC podcast. Does anyone remember this and if so, can you share a link? Thanks.

EDIT: Found it:
                                                  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000qjfd
                                                  Last edited by danielmak; 30-03-2022, 22:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                                    Jon Ronson s excellent Things Fell Apart won the best UK podcast the other day
                                                    Yes, it is excellent. Also a recommnendation for 'The Trojan Horse Affair', which I think was discussed elsewhere. It had me shaking my head in anger and disbelief - but it's an awesome piece of work.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X