Podcasts Wot OTF People Are Listening To And Recommend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Forest Gump View Post
    If you enjoyed the Baha Men episode, you might enjoy this: "The Case of the Missing Hit - A man in California is haunted by the memory of a pop song from his youth. He can remember the lyrics and the melody. But the song itself has vanished, completely scrubbed from the internet."

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/o2h8bx

I think it's the only time I've ever completely stopped what I was doing to listen to a podcast.
    Thanks for suggesting this -- fantastic story!

Comment

I haven't listened to the first episode yet, but the trailer for Where is George Gibney? was really gripping. It was reported over 2 years by Mark Horgan from Second Captains.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08...odes/downloads

Comment

I believe there was an old, and really excellent, Second Captains episode on this 3-4 years ago, featuring one-time OTFer garcia.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
          I haven't listened to the first episode yet, but the trailer for Where is George Gibney? was really gripping. It was reported over 2 years by Mark Horgan from Second Captains.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08...odes/downloads
          I've listened to the first episode as someone who as a former competetive swimmer who swam with Trojan where Gibney coached. I was lucky, unlike some of my peers, and obviously feel quite emotional about the whole thing. At the time I didn't really see anything wrong, odd maybe, but not wrong, but that was when I was a kid. In retrospect however....

I'll withhold judgement on the first episode (there is another nine to come after all). I fear though it is just a rehash of what is already known, in the public domain. I hope, but don't expect, that it will cover some new ground such as who gave him references to get him into the US, did he lie on his visa application (which would have had to over the charges against him) which would render him liable for deportation, who knowlingly fixed him up with cosy coaching jobs in Scotland with other children and the US etc. I could hazard a guess, as could many people in the swimming world, but some actual evidence would be nice.

Gibney never disappeared. People knowingly enabled him to move on and just walk away from a mountain of human suffering, broken lives and much worse besides. I hope that they have to answer for what they did, as much as he has to stand trial for what he did.

Finally, for those who listen, a mark of what a man Gary O'Toole is - the greater swimmer we have produced to this day, and an even better person:

[URL="https://twitter.com/colincoyle/status/1283345105823432704"]https://twitter.com/colincoyle/statu...45105823432704[/URL]
          Last edited by fospheny; 28-08-2020, 21:25.

Comment

I haven't had a chance to listen to the Sugarhill Gang or Twist episodes yet. I'll check out that missing hit story.

If anyone cares about insider music business stuff then check out the Bob Lefsetz podcast on whatever service you use. He also interviews authors and other media types but I have only listened to interviews with record producers and music industry execs.

Comment

I am 32 minutes into The Case of the Missing Hit and it is a really interesting story, but I have to say that I am feeling a real physical sense of frustration (my body is actually tense). It's like yelling at your team during a football match where you see open players everywhere and whoever has the ball never sees the killer pass. I'm going to put my frustration in white text below just to avoid spoilers for folks, since the story is told as a mystery. But I am posting now before the end because if it ends how I think it would end then my prediction isn't a prediction. Haha. Highlight the text below if you don't care about spoilers.

The problem I have with this story is that the host is busy calling music critics, heavyweight critics. They won't know some junky Spin Doctors/Barenaked Ladies kind of song. Instead, the search needed to be twofold (local record stores in Arizona that were around then since I assume this is going to be a local band--even if Jessica Hopper was predicting major label) and most importantly, the song sounds jam bandish. The host needed to be contacting people on jam band forums, promoters of jam band tours, members of jam bands. So the execution of the research is totally flawed, which is what frustrates me.

Anyway, I'll be curious if the two predictions I make play out.

Comment

TFS (James + Sash, Carl, Daniel)
                https://audioboom.com/posts/7687188-...ersion-of-fifa

Comment

Race and Democracy: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000492904818

Comment

As I mentioned, I'm really enjoying the Fake Doctors, Real Friends podcast, a retrospective of Scrubs with the stars and creators.

Today, I'm listening to one where they all discuss their use of black face in the show. It wasn't meant to be racist, of course, but Bill Lawrence has told Disney to take those episodes off of Hulu, but he suggested that eventually he'll just cut out those bits.* They all feel appropriately bad about it, etc and discussed how they plan to do better. It's not as self-congratulatory or white saivory as I just made it seem. Worth checking out.

Comment

Tina Fey has dome something similar recently regarding some episodes of 30 Rock where cast members dress up in blackface. They are no longer available to stream and won't be repeated on TV in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                        I haven't had a chance to listen to the Sugarhill Gang or Twist episodes yet. I'll check out that missing hit story.

If anyone cares about insider music business stuff then check out the Bob Lefsetz podcast on whatever service you use. He also interviews authors and other media types but I have only listened to interviews with record producers and music industry execs.
                        Couple of notes from listening to episodes of the above.

The Speed of Sound has already referenced the record label Cameo Parkway a number of times, prompting me to look them up as I hadn't heard of it previously, and it is an interesting story - they were fairly opportunistic, cashing in on (or sometimes creating) fads, but they left behind a lot of famous records, before the rug was pulled out from under them when American Bandstand moved from Philadelphia to LA. He could do an entire episode on the label as it is clearly an era that fascinates him, although he has covered a lot of the ground already.

Also listened to the Bob Lefsetz interview with Chis Difford of Squeeze and the latter was surprisingly open and frank about his past drink and drug abuse and mental health issues. There was also some interesting talk on the economics of being an ageing pop/rock star and the resulting anxiety around live music returning to normal. I was due to see Squeeze this year so it was an interesting listen.

Comment

Just a mention that the Football Ramble now has their On the Continent show in a separate RSS feed, titled something like Football Ramble Presents. It's now hosted by Dotun Adebayo, it's nice having him reunited with the Top Brass, Andy Brassell. And a rotating other expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

Couple of notes from listening to episodes of the above.

The Speed of Sound has already referenced the record label Cameo Parkway a number of times, prompting me to look them up as I hadn't heard of it previously, and it is an interesting story - they were fairly opportunistic, cashing in on (or sometimes creating) fads, but they left behind a lot of famous records, before the rug was pulled out from under them when American Bandstand moved from Philadelphia to LA. He could do an entire episode on the label as it is clearly an era that fascinates him, although he has covered a lot of the ground already.

Also listened to the Bob Lefsetz interview with Chis Difford of Squeeze and the latter was surprisingly open and frank about his past drink and drug abuse and mental health issues. There was also some interesting talk on the economics of being an ageing pop/rock star and the resulting anxiety around live music returning to normal. I was due to see Squeeze this year so it was an interesting listen.
                            I haven't had time to go back to that Speed of Sound podcast. He's pumped out a 3-part disco analysis. Lefsetz is a character. He is able to get people to talk about their lives in ways that seems unexpected in part because I tend to think about interviewers who can get those stories having some kind of empathy in their approach to the interviews. Lefsetz isn't combative but he's certainly a guy with opinions. I think he has a good strategy, which is that he often starts with some kind of issue or trend and then will usually circle back with a: "Let's talk about where you grew up" or something like that. Then we're into the biography stuff and people are already chatty, not feeling on edge.

Comment

At one point I was listening to Football Weekly, Totally Football and the Football Ramble, but since they've all gone to 4+ shows per week I've given up on all except FW and even with that I struggle to manage more than two of the shows. When I was listening to all three they would all cover exactly the same stuff and often make exactly the same jokes, I guess there's only so much you can say about a weekend's football.

I think, in the case of football podcasts, less is definitely more.

Comment

One of the things I rediscovered during lockdown was my love for roleplaying and wargaming. I started to get fascinated watching Youtube battle reports for, initially WH40K and then a WW2 based game, Bolt Action, I'm wondering if it was my subconscious way of replacing live sport.

This has now led to me consuming vast quantities of wargaming podcasts including The Down Podcast, Dicecast, SNAFU and Paint All The Minis alongside my WW2 history fave, We Have Ways.

I've also bought and started painting a load of figures and vehicles.

I'm a 47 year old man. I'm guessing this is the very definition of a midlife crisis.

Comment

Oh god yes. Two, hour and a half long plus episodes of The Final Word a week is getting to be too much for me. When do people have time to listen to all this? The only podcast that I don't resent for having episodes much over an hour is the Infinite Inning.

There is a blood bowl thread in games but we could probably do with a wider one. So long as you don't mind EIM popping in and being performatively scornful.

Comment

Ooh, I've never been in Games before, I'll have a nosey around, thanks.

Comment

Compleatly Beatles (2014, still good): https://www.sneakydragon.com/podcast...rts-club-band/

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                        Compleatly Beatles (2014, still good): https://www.sneakydragon.com/podcast...rts-club-band/
                                        The Nothing is Real podcast is also good.

Comment

Originally posted by fospheny View Post

I've listened to the first episode as someone who as a former competetive swimmer who swam with Trojan where Gibney coached. I was lucky, unlike some of my peers, and obviously feel quite emotional about the whole thing. At the time I didn't really see anything wrong, odd maybe, but not wrong, but that was when I was a kid. In retrospect however....

I'll withhold judgement on the first episode (there is another nine to come after all). I fear though it is just a rehash of what is already known, in the public domain. I hope, but don't expect, that it will cover some new ground such as who gave him references to get him into the US, did he lie on his visa application (which would have had to over the charges against him) which would render him liable for deportation, who knowlingly fixed him up with cosy coaching jobs in Scotland with other children and the US etc. I could hazard a guess, as could many people in the swimming world, but some actual evidence would be nice.

Gibney never disappeared. People knowingly enabled him to move on and just walk away from a mountain of human suffering, broken lives and much worse besides. I hope that they have to answer for what they did, as much as he has to stand trial for what he did.

Finally, for those who listen, a mark of what a man Gary O'Toole is - the greater swimmer we have produced to this day, and an even better person:

[URL="https://twitter.com/colincoyle/status/1283345105823432704"]https://twitter.com/colincoyle/statu...45105823432704[/URL]
                                          Gosh, that must be provoking some strong emotions.

I've listened to all of it so far, and Mark and the crew have made a great job of making it really gripping, while, I felt, being sensitive to the nature of the story. It's easy to be gripped when you have no direct involvement in the story though, so reading your post fospheny certainly is a good reminder to me not to treat it as a basic entertainment product.

Not sure how much is entirely new information, other than personal stories that haven't been told publicly, although there is one excruciatingly awkward interview with another US-based coach who it sounds rather like may well have provided Gibney with the references to get him into the States. Another interviewee on the pod has since lost his position within Irish swimming due to his connections to Gibney (though there is no inference this guy was involved in any of the same offending), so it has already seen some tangible effects. Whether it'll have the ultimate tangible effect of seeing Gibney in the dock at some point is another matter entirely.

They're doing a couple of new shows in early December to catch up with the information that's come their way since the series has been going out, so will be interesting to hear then if any further progress of any kind has been made.

Comment

I started listening to Because WCW last week and I'm absolutely hooked on it. It's quite basic, a couple of British wrestling journos/workers take a WCW ppv and go into detail on it, and looking into how WCW ended up falling apart.

In my youth I loved wrestling, and I love the story of WCW, as bad as it is. I'm 15 podcasts in now, and I've learnt a lot that I didn't already know.

If you don't like wrestling, I'd avoid it. If you do like wrestling though, especially at the time of the Monday Night Wars, I can't recommend it enough.

Comment

I have just started Prince - The Official Podcast. First 4 episodes focus on the time around the making of 1999.

​​​​Hearing about his hellish performances when opening for the Stones was fascinating. It is suggested that it sparked something in him. A steely resolve to work his ass off until the whole World, including the Stones audience, would salute his greatness.

Comment

The spinoff from SMERSHPod - the Tuesday Night Movie Club - has a cracking episode this week on Omen III: The Final Conflict. Basically the three podders take a usually crap film and go through it and take the piss. The worse the film, the harder it is to take the piss but if (like this one) it's merely dull then the tangents they can go on are a delight.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                                  The spinoff from SMERSHPod - the Tuesday Night Movie Club - has a cracking episode this week on Omen III: The Final Conflict. Basically the three podders take a usually crap film and go through it and take the piss. The worse the film, the harder it is to take the piss but if (like this one) it's merely dull then the tangents they can go on are a delight.
                                                  The SMERSHPod episode with Adam Buxton talking about the Pierce Brosnan film, "Taffin", is my go to happy place if I'm feeling down. It never fails to make me laugh like an absolute loon.

Comment

Buxton “the books, darling’, the books!” bit had me in pieces.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X