Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

End of the road for Spiral (Engrenages)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of the road for Spiral (Engrenages)...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that's it, we've unfortunately reached the end of the road for the addictive “Spiral”.

http://www.20minutes.fr/television/2017375-20170220-engrenages-saison-7-derniere-revele-audrey-fleurot

Audrey Fleurot recently announced that they’ll do a Series 7 when everyone is available (Caroline Proust - Captain Laure Berthaud in the series - and herself, a household name in France since the box-office hit Intouchables, are very busy at the minute, respectively with theatre and cinema) but Series 7 will deffo be the last one.

They’re currently busy editing Series 6 for the TV (the shooting finished 3 months ago) and I’ve heard that it'll be broadcast on French channel C8 or Canal Plus from June onwards, so we (abroad) should have it soon after, hopefully in September-October in the UK.

Talking of Audrey Fleurot, she stars in the new season (#2) of the French scandi noir “Les Témoins” (Witnesses – shown on Channel4 in 2015, pretty good I thought), currently shown on France2 every Wednesday evening (8 episodes).

Marie Dompnier (female cop Sandra Winckler) is still here but not Thierry Lhermitte unfortunately.

They're back (Season 6). Saturday 30th December, 9pm, BBC Four

Comment

How are Roban's mistakes 'untypical'? He's a walking disaster area. That said, I'm very much looking forward to this.

Comment

Juge Roban is seen as very rigorous, as a stickler for the rules, hence that "untypical" probably.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/prof...francois-roban

Comment

Well he was in the first few series (even if he could be perceived as being rather maverick by his colleagues and bosses) but last series he almost lost it completely. Bending rules, not taking in evidence etc.

Comment

I'm halfway through the second series of Witnesses and enjoying it. Not sure that the plot stands up to close scrutiny but the performances, mood and pace carry it along.

Comment

I'm way behind with this series (I think it finished yesterday), I'm only episode 4 so I'm not too sure where to pitch it with regards to spoilers.

Non spoilery thoughts.
              Has this series been shot differently? Or is it just that I'm watching in HD?
              They're the bad guys aren't they? Fuck that they're just trying to get the job done.
              Edit: I'm not sure how I feel about the subtitles. Does Police judiciaire need to be translated to CID? I still can't pick out who Roban mentions when the subs say IPCC but I'm pretty sure that's not a direct translation.

Vague but spoilery thoughts
              I never in a million years thought I'd feel sympathy for Machard.
              Karlsson has been through enough now. It's all a bit unnecessary.
              Last edited by Levin; 04-02-2018, 21:25.

Comment

This series (6) is the first one we've ever seen. What a great programme. Going to get onto episode 6 or 7 tonight. I found episode 4 pleasingly farsical, but 5 was back to being pretty dark.

In answer to your thoughts, as far as I can tell, yeah, *everyone* is a flawed character, Joséphine Karlsson to a lesser extent but I guess we'll have to see how she reacts to what has happened to her. The detectives basically just making up what they're doing as they go along, constantly going behind their boss's back and breaking procedures left, right and centre is not what you want to see in your law enforcers, is it?

Turns out if you google 'engrenages' you'll see it's a word which really refers to cogs and gears

which actually is a far better visual metaphor for the interrelated characters and plot-lines than the word 'spiral'.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                  Edit: I'm not sure how I feel about the subtitles. Does Police judiciaire need to be translated to CID? I still can't pick out who Roban mentions when the subs say IPCC but I'm pretty sure that's not a direct translation.
                  Ha, my French is terrible so I hadn't picked up on this subtler stuff. There's what I think is a gag aimed at the French-speaking Brits watching in one where a nurse calls Roban in and says it how an English person would say 'Roh-ban' but which would of course in French be spelled Robin, and he corrects her by spelling it out. It's the whole some-of-your-vowels-sound-like-our-other-vowels thing.

Comment

Ooooh. That's a jury trial? The jury sit next the the judge? I really don't know enough about legal systems.

Comment

I didn’t enjoy S6 quite as much, but can’t really put my finger on why. Maybe too much flics on stakeouts and not enough lawyers.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                        *everyone* is a flawed character, Joséphine Karlsson to a lesser extent but I guess we'll have to see how she reacts to what has happened to her.
                        Ah, right. She's gone and done *that* then.

Comment

Series 7 has started on iPlayer at last.

Comment

Well then. They've got themselves in a right pickle here.

Comment

We've never seen series 1 to 5 so have splashed out on the DVDs. Tried watching some of S1 in between episodes of S7 but just got confused so will save it for afterwards.

Comment

Oh yes, and they are doing S8 after all. Yay!

Comment

Working...
                                X