• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

La La Land

La La Land
    Starring: Emma Stone, Ryan Gosling, the City of Los Angeles
    Rating: **** (4/4)

It shouldn't be this good. It's an obvious homage, and it ticks the boxes of both making fun of Los Angeles while at the same time loving it and wanting to make it look as beautiful as it sometimes can be. The story is basic: girl meets boy, they fall in love, but problems arise.

But good lord, it's wondrous. Some scenes are exhilarating, even when you know the movie is obviously trying to wow you. It never falls into obvious parody or self-conscious winking of "isn't this just like a classic musical?" The number on the hill in Griffith Park already seems like it will be a classic LA film moment.

Gosling and Stone are great together. They were great together in another movie I saw of theirs that Steve Carrell was in that I can't remember the title of. They have great chemistry together. I feel that with two actors who aren't as likable as they are, the movie wouldn't get off the ground. They aren't the best singers, but that almost makes it better.

La La Land

So you liked it then?

Comment

La La Land

Hah, and Mrs. Inca really disliked it.

Comment

La La Land

I really liked it a lot and I don't usually care much for musicals.

Definitely the front-runner for best picture. All the things Inca said. And the movie you're thinking of is Crazy Stupid Love, IIRC, which was outstanding and underrated. I love Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling in everything I've seen them in, which is a fair amount.

This is clearly the front-runner for Best Picture right now. And it's a movie that probably wouldn't have ever been made if not for the Oscars. Yes, the awards are an absurd exercise in self-congratulations and marketing, but without them, I don't know how a movie like this would ever get funding. It would be too risky and too expensive. Most musicals are based on successful Broadway shows and/or have multiple big elaborate dance numbers or are animated by Disney. This isn't any of those.

Like that The Artist from a few years ago, it's the kind of concept that is worthless - perhaps artistically, but certainly commercially - unless it's outstanding because the only way people will want to see it is if it gets stellar reviews.

Same with Manchester-By-The-Sea, though for different reasons. Tragic film set in New England without Matt Damon or any violence or comedy doesn't really sell itself.

But great reviews can still draw actual adults to the theaters in the winter and the awards gives the media a "hook" to talk about some great films months after they're released, which drives more interest and helps theaters keep the films showing or, in some cases, bring them back.

If not for that publicity machine, it wouldn't work for the producers. Because it's a much safer bet to throw the money at an action film or dumb comedy where, even if it sucks, it can make money. Kids have worse taste because they haven't been exposed to much yet and action movies can be repackaged for overseas.

Comment

La La Land

The missus had been bugging me to see this for a long time and we finally went. I'm not really into musicals (don't hate them but certainly not on the top of my list). During the opening scene I thought I was sunk and trying to prep myself for 90 minutes of trying to daydream but I really enjoyed this film. I saw it in Chicago where winter was in full effect so the end of the opening scene that noted "Winter" garnered a lot of laughs from the crowd in the theater a giant sigh from me since leaving LA is one of my huge life regrets (top 2 or 3). Anyway, I really liked the meta-level reflection about the power of music and film to affect people's lives as artists and as fans. And given what I said above, I think the film wonderfully captures a certain type of Los Angeles in the same way that Woody Allen films once captured a certain type of New York City.

Comment

La La Land

daniel, the "Winter" card also got a lot of chuckles from the crowd in the theater at the Westside Pavilion.

Comment

La La Land

It is cleaning up in the Golden Globes, which is obviously no indication of how good it is.

I want to see it. A musical with Ryan Gosling? Damn Skippy.

Comment

La La Land

Yes, I'm another who's somewhat skeptical of musicals, but I really enjoyed this, particularly its lack of irony and self-consciousness, even though it's referencing classic Hollywood. Stone and Gosling are a great pair.

I'm not sure if any of the songs will reach classic status, but they serve the narrative very well.

Comment

La La Land

I enjoyed it. Was tapping my feet at the first number and it brought a smile to my face much like The Artist did a few years ago. I find the praise a little OTT, but I liked the song and dance routines, the swooping camera work and Gosling and Stone's chemistry. Glad I watched The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, New York, New York and Singin' in the Rain beforehand.

Comment

La La Land

Stumpy Pepys wrote: Yes, I'm another who's somewhat skeptical of musicals, but I really enjoyed this, particularly its lack of irony and self-consciousness, even though it's referencing classic Hollywood. Stone and Gosling are a great pair.

I'm not sure if any of the songs will reach classic status, but they serve the narrative very well.
                    Not that this indicates classic status, but I could definitely see the song Emma Stone sang in her audition becoming a favorite of musical theater kids to sing in talent shows or in auditions themselves.

Comment

La La Land

I assume that somebody will try to stage this on Broadway/West End in a few years.

Comment

La La Land

I'm not so sure, it's less of a "classic" musical in style than I expected so not sure it would work so well on the stage. That said, they've made musicals of completely song-free movies before and the lure of dollar signs may trump everything else.

I saw it at the weekend, very sweet and enjoyable if not quite the classic that the reviews and many other reactions deem it to be. 'City of Stars' has got a good chance of being an enduring staple, surely?

Assuming it takes Best Picture at the Oscars that will be three of the last six winners that are, to an extent "movies about the movies", and a fourth in 'Argo' that has Hollywood characters in it's plot.

Comment

La La Land

We're legally required to love LaLa Land
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abn6cPxrc5w

Comment

La La Land

Oh god, I'd better keep my head down. I don't have the faintest inclination to see the thing and have no idea why I'm expected to love it; those cops would have a field day with me...

Comment

La La Land

I would like to see Moonlight, too, but it hasn't come to my town yet.

Comment

La La Land

If I may point out, that at this time of year, the Oscar voting takes place. This means that a lot, if not all, movie "screeners" are sent out to the members.

Which also means, that certain members of said academy, might take it upon themselves to make those things available to an unpaying audience, should you know where to look. Including, the subject of this thread.

Comment

La La Land

Hm. Not sure, in all honesty. I liked its rom-com moments, and when it didn't have its head lodged firmly up its own arse it was really quite enjoyable. The car keys joke drew a snigger, too.

So, in summary, enjoyable lightweight fluff which in no way deserves the sheer amount of hyperbole being thrown at it. Excellent, excellent score though.

Comment

La La Land

Watched this yesterday. Why had nobody warned me that Christoph Waltz played the lead male role?

I am absolutely not a musical fan, but I thought it was quite good. Midway through the movie I was wondering why on Earth this was nominated for best picture, but the second half brought me around on that.

Comment

La La Land

Saw it this evening. I like musicals and I like jazz, so I thoroughly enjoyed it. So did my girlfriend, although she did say she never wants to hear Emma Stone sing again.

Hot Pepsi wrote: I would like to see Moonlight, too, but it hasn't come to my town yet.
                                      Good grief. It's come to my town, and if the poster (which is literally all I know about it) is anything to go by, it's about a black guy who isn't Will Smith. I'd have assumed it had already been everywhere else first, on that basis.

Comment

La La Land

Saw it, liked it quite a bit- but worthy of 14 nominations - not so sure.

Wonderfully filmed and a great spectacle visual treat and a likeable lead pair. Quite liked the not so brilliant singing.
                                        Very old fashioned feel, remove things like iPhone notification sounds and Priusses (Priui???) it could have been set at any time period of peak Hollywood land.

But for me bordering on Emperor's New Clothes - I was expecting something more, after all the hype.
                                        However, Hollywood loves itself, especially when it is dressed well, so it will get quite a few successes in those nominations.

Missus loved it "why can't all films be like this?"
                                        Made her watch 1984 last night to balance it up.

Comment

La La Land

VTTBoscombe wrote: But for me bordering on Emperor's New Clothes - I was expecting something more, after all the hype.
                                          Well, the population has decided it needs cheering up and has decided La La Land is the film to do it. Blame Donald Trump.

Comment

La La Land

I just watched it.

I really liked it. Enjoyed the music, the crap dancing, and Emma Stone was fantastic. Ryan Gosling was Ryan Gosling.

It wont win all the Oscars, but probably deserves the nominations. Emma Stone might nick one.

And although I didn't need it, it cheered me the fuck up. And I welled up a bit too. But I can be a big old queen when it comes to musicals.

Comment

La La Land

I watched it yesterday, too, as the battle to see all the Best Picture nominees before Oscar night continues (5 down, 4 to go)

And, as somebody who normally dislikes musicals, and dislikes indulgent films about Hollywood, I was pretty impressed.

As somebody who's read all the hype, I was pretty underwhelmed.

It was fine, and I loved a couple of the scenes - particularly the final montage, and (of course) the '80s band at the party. But it was flabby and overlong, and none of the songs except City of Stars is at all memorable. And the big opening number just seemed very weak and basically unnecessary and had me thinking I was going to be very bored, to the extent that I spent most of my time watching it wondering about how they filmed it, and that nobody on a highway in LA has more than one person in their car, nor has their window open.

So, I'm in the school of - entertaining piece of fluff and a perfectly good way to spend a couple of hours, but not the great return of the non-animated original musical, nor something particularly deserving of the flood of adulation and awards.

Comment

La La Land

That sounds about right. It's very charming and enjoyable to see in the theater, but it's not exactly deep, nor does it have anything particularly new or interesting to say about Hollywood.

It's not a film that I spend a lot of time thinking about. Contrast to Manchester by the Sea which has several scenes that will haunt me for all my days.

Comment

I finally got round to watching this on Netflix last night. I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. Neither Stone nor Gosling - both good actors - are top-notch singers or dancers, but somehow their unpolished performances work better for me than a really slick typical-musical routine would.

It’s a decent enough paean to showbiz LA, those great 50s musical films, and the wannabees drawn there, has a decent mixture of humour and pathos in it, and I liked the “sliding doors” segment towards the end about what might have been for the two of them if things had gone differently.

I can understand the main quibbles about the film (Stone’s character is a bit of an undeveloped cypher, and Gosling’s white saviour of “pure” jazz role is a bit preposterous), but that’s Hollywood for you.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X