Shazaam - the film that never was

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've gone through the looking-glass, people!

Haha, I've read about the Berenstein Bear stuff but was not aware of the Shazaam/Kazaam confusion.

I don't understand the term for this, though--the Mandela Effect. I understand the explanation, but I can't really comprehend how large numbers of people all thought that Mandela died in prison. His being released was such a huge moment! How did they miss that?

Comment

It's probably down to him fading into quiet obscurity after he was released.

Comment

Thought this was going to be about this-

A Landscape of Lies is a 2011 British drama film, written and directed by Paul Knight.[1] The film stars Andrea McLean, Danny Midwinter, Lucinda Rhodes-Flaherty, Daniel Peacock, Marc Bannerman, Andre Samson and Christina Baily.[2] It was shown at the Las Vegas Film Festival and was later released straight to DVD in the United Kingdom on 1 October 2011.[3]

A Landscape of Lies received media attention after it was discovered that the film concept was first created as, and was subsequently filmed in an attempt to hide, a hoax by a criminal group to commit tax fraud.[4] It won a Silver Ace Award at the Las Vegas Film Festival, which was later rescinded after the festival committee learned of the film's use in the tax scam.

Comment

DC/WB are working on a Shazam - the superhero - film. The Rock will play Black Adam.

Comment

There was a TV series called Shazam! in the '70s. I think the lead was a guy called Michael Gray. But it wasn't about a genie but a teenager who could transform himself into Captain Marvel. Sounds like a movie premise to me.

Comment

Weird – I only heard about the 'Mandela Effect' for the first time a handful of days ago, in a very random discussion in online football management sim Xpert Eleven (subject of the thousand-page X11 thread on these boards, for those unaware) with someone who adheres to the belief that it's a real 'thing', with parallel realities intruding into this one and all the rest. Since then I've stumbled across three or four mentions of it in various places in just a few days, which is quite bizarre. Not least because I nearly skipped this thread since its title is as obtuse and unclarifying as the name 'Mandela Effect' indeed is...

WOM's response above in post #3 captures my own instinctive incredulity at the eponymous example, apart from anything. My first thought when I read the account of the person whose 'experience' coined the phrase was, "When did she realise she'd apparently been wrong about Mandela dying in prison in the 1980s? Was it during the '80s still? When he was released? After he'd been, oh, President of South Africa for a few years...?"

Comment

There was a sixties cartoon series about a genie called Shazan. (One of the fill in bits from Banana Splits?)

Comment

Here's a couple of threads from Fortean Times regarding 'The Mandela Effect':

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/moonrakers-dolly-braces-or-not.61527/

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/berenstain-berenstein-and-the-mandela-effect.60041/

Comment

Ach, for Christ's sake! I hope a certain numpty I know won't hear about this. He's guaranteed to jump in with two feet like he religiously does with every piece of mumbo jumbo. And he's got a PhD too. If this doesn't make you take academic qualifications with a pinch of salt, nothing will.

Comment

It's a very 21st century thing, this "Mandela effect", particularly the Mandela example itself: very stupid people, presented with proof of their jaw-dropping ignorance, blaming absolutely anything else - up to and including mystical forces tampering with the fabric of reality - rather than accept the possibility that they've been wrong about something.

Comment

G-Man wrote: There was a TV series called Shazam! in the '70s. I think the lead was a guy called Michael Gray. But it wasn't about a genie but a teenager who could transform himself into Captain Marvel. Sounds like a movie premise to me.
                        That's the DC Comics character I'm referring to. The reasons both DC and Marvel have a character called Captain Marvel is long and convoluted, but DC tends to call him Shazam now.
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Marvel_(DC_Comics)

Comment

How Did This Get Made covered Kazaam a year ago. Don't remember the Mandela Effect aspect coming up. Unlike the Berenstain Bears thing, which I must have heard on a dozen podcasts over the last year or two.

Comment

Working...
                          X