Why does Hollywood own Christmas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amor de Cosmos wrote: Anyway, number 8 on this list is interesting to me: A Christmas Story. I was totally unaware of the existence of this film until I got to the US, but now I'm here it seems to be almost as much an integral part of Christmas in the US is as the Queens Speech is in the UK. People might not watch it or care about it, but it's become part of a deep tradition.

So, what I wonder is - am I unaware of it because I was in a cultural bubble; Or is it as unknown in Britain as I think it is?

It's actually a very nice little flick. Not at all schmaltzy, and very well written and cast. It was written by Jean Shepherd, who wrote for the New Yorker for many years. It's based on a couple of his autobiographical short stories, and he's also the film's narrator. If you haven't seen it you're in for a small treat.

People do watch it every year. My gym guy, Richie (26) does so with his parents and grandparents. He even bought his dad a "leg lamp"* off eBay a couple of Christmases ago.

*Too much of a spoiler to describe further.
    When I was a kid, it seemed like this was just something my family watched. It seemed to have a cult following. I'd say it's only really within the past 10 years where it's become part of the American pop culture Christmas tradition, with TBS or some other cable network showing it for 24 hours straight, leg lamps being sold, etc.

Comment

Shepherd used to have an evening radio show on WOR in New York, which we listened to regularly when I was a kid.

The movie developed out of vaguely autobiographical short stories that Shepherd wrote for Playboy in the early 60s, and then refined on his radio show. The film wasn't made until 1983.

Comment

Oddly, it was shot in Cleveland, OH, and Toronto and St Catherines, ON. Surely you can hold a smallish film shoot to one city, or at least one country. I wonder if there was a tax-loophole angle.

Comment

Looking at IMDB, it seems to have been shot primarily in Ontario, with Cleveland being used for shots like the department store and Christmas parade. The budget is given in Canadian dollars (the studio will have done very well, given that it only cost CDN 4 million).

Comment

When I was a kid, it seemed like this was just something my family watched. It seemed to have a cult following. I'd say it's only really within the past 10 years where it's become part of the American pop culture Christmas tradition, with TBS or some other cable network showing it for 24 hours straight, leg lamps being sold, etc.
            Like a lot of Christmas movies, its popularity grew slowly over time based on VHS/DVD and TV. I don't recall it being in the theater. In fact, I recall my mom bringing it home on VHS from the video rental shop one night when I was sick because the kid at the store told her it was good. I watched it a few times and then told other kids about it.

Now my brother's kids and others of their generation have seen it and love it.

Same with Elf. I recall that was only a modest hit in the theaters, but then you hear grown adults saying "YOU SIT ON A THRONE OF LIES!" etc. And kids know it by heart. The best part is Peter Dinklage as the asshole children's author.

Oddly, it was shot in Cleveland, OH, and Toronto and St Catherines, ON. Surely you can hold a smallish film shoot to one city, or at least one country. I wonder if there was a tax-loophole angle.
            I believe Christmas movies - or movies set around Christmas - are often shot in Canada because there's more likely to be snow. Plus the tax angle. Americans like to believe in white Christmases against any evidence to the contrary.

But you think they could have found a suitable house somewhere in Southern Ontario.

But, now you can tour the house in from the movie in Ohio and peruse the gift shop.
            http://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/

Comment

Yeah, that was sort of my thinking. Between St Catherines, Toronto and even Lindsay, ON, surely a similar old wooden house could be found. That's why I wondered if there wasn't some angle being worked.

Comment

I didn't expect much from Elf, but it's surprisingly good. I didn't really 'get' Will Ferrell until that film.

Comment

I've never seen all of Elf in one sitting. The American Cinemateque is showing it in their Santa Monica theater this weekend for a kids' movie, maybe we'll go.

Comment

I've never heard of A Christmas Story either and I lived in the US for 6 years.

Comment

ad hoc wrote: I've never heard of A Christmas Story either and I lived in the US for 6 years.
                      It's emergence as part of the canon was slow, and I think you'd moved away by the time TBS started showing it for 24 hours. Plus, you don't have kids that watch a lot of American TV nor were you an American kid who watched a lot of TV.

Comment

Incandenza wrote: I've never seen all of Elf in one sitting. The American Cinemateque is showing it in their Santa Monica theater this weekend for a kids' movie, maybe we'll go.
                        It's ideal for kids about 8 and up, I'd guess, but younger kids might like some of it.

Comment

Hot Pepsi wrote:

Not sure how one could "downplay" the Christmas themes of Miracle on 34th Street. The whole thing is about Santa Claus.
                          Basically they kept Santa a secret:

Fox's promotional trailer depicted a fictional producer roaming the studio backlot and encountering such stars as Rex Harrison, Anne Baxter, Peggy Ann Garner, and Dick Haymes extolling the virtues of the film. In addition, the movie posters prominently featured O'Hara and Payne, with Gwenn's character kept in the background. [from Wiki]

Comment

That old style of trailers of the creators talking about the film is so crazy to look back on now. Some of them are basically someone reading a full synopsis. And they're often ridiculously long.

Comment

"They key thing is to follow up with the book Father Christmas by Briggs. In it, the big man goes to the party. He sees the same Snowman and boy but says 'James, good to see you again!' which suggests that the boy rebuilds the same Snowman every winter - a tradition continued by the second boy in TSMATSD: the dog is made flesh, but the Snowman is immortal."

Read this comment last night, Kev, but I thought that doesn't sound like the Father Christmas book to me. So I dug the book out tonight and read it to my son. It's a fantastic book but not the one you're thinking of. I think you might be thinking of the sequel Father Christmas goes on Holiday. Or maybe the film.

Comment

Love Actually is fairly Christmassy.

Although not actually a Christmas film, I'd nominate Whistle Down The Wind as being on an appropriate theme and about as far away from Hollywood as you can get.

Comment

Jon wrote: "They key thing is to follow up with the book Father Christmas by Briggs. In it, the big man goes to the party. He sees the same Snowman and boy but says 'James, good to see you again!' which suggests that the boy rebuilds the same Snowman every winter - a tradition continued by the second boy in TSMATSD: the dog is made flesh, but the Snowman is immortal."

Read this comment last night, Kev, but I thought that doesn't sound like the Father Christmas book to me. So I dug the book out tonight and read it to my son. It's a fantastic book but not the one you're thinking of. I think you might be thinking of the sequel Father Christmas goes on Holiday. Or maybe the film.
                                  Hmmm, interesting. he does go on holiday in the book we have and keeps having to go to different destinations when he thinks he's been recognised. Perhaps they've changed the titles about in different editions.

Comment

The animation of Father Christmas is going to be on Channel 4 on (at least) Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and having never seen it but been reminded by this thread, I'm going to record and watch it for definite this year. After seeing the above exchange, there's now an added frisson of interest over just which story is going to be involved...

Comment

Working...
                                    X