Do you believe in the Westworld?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It also goes some way to explaining how expensive prestige TV is these days. I read the other day that The Get Down costs $16m per episode.

Harris is terrific (as is Evan Rachel Wood), and the series is watchable, even if it doesn't exactly hang heavy in the mind afterwards, and, yes, that 'this-could-go-on-forever' feeling is a bit strong, admittedly.
    I really think it would benefit from a Netflix/Amazon style season dump.

Comment

It all does seems a bit Lost, doesn't it? Which from what I know of that series wouldn't be a good thing because apparently it turned out to be a lot of old nonsense.
      tracteurgarçon wrote: Yes, I'm starting to worry that it's definitely going the way of "Lost" in that it thinks it's way cleverer than it actually is. Every question that is answered leads to another series of questions with random mysteries thrown in as red herrings and nothing actually stacking up when you think about it too much.
      Lands sakes, fellas. It's only four episodes in. They're still putting down the threads that they'll start pulling in the second half of the season and subsequent seasons. It'll be a long while before it's entered Lost territory.

Comment

It's all getting a bit disappointing, in my opinion anyway. There's a flaccid feel to it (although it remains watchable), as if it's not really a story but a series of events linked up to make it feel as if there's a story. If this series was a train, then it's not left the station yet.

Evan Rachel Wood, the actress playing Delores, recently said that the last few episodes would up the ante considerably, which is great to hear as the ones up to yet have been as lanquid and near-stationery as me first thing in the morning

Comment

Even the orgy?

Comment

I'm not that easily-pleased.

Comment

Im fairly enjoying this, potential for Lost style massively disappointing nonsense climax notwithstanding.

I do hope Hopkins is ripped apart and soon by his mechanical henchmen. That slice of prime end of the pier Actorly Jabugo just runs me up the wrong way, I hope he's not a conscious catalyst (ie, I hope he doesn't actually want them to rebel, and planted the voices in their heads himself: I'd rather he was just an evil bastard) for the Newton/Rachel Wood kick-ass revolt.

Comment

I wanted to get into this. I love JJ Abrams. But 72 minute episodes? Can't be bothered.

Comment

Hobbesian wrongness. It's pee needing squirming long by the end of each episode, but shorter if the Sky Atlantic ads are somehow circumvented.

Thandie Newton, who knew? I mostly remembered her from skincare ads and that bloody awful Condi impression in Dubya. She's brilliant.

Comment

It's 72 minutes an episode without adverts. (I never watch live TV these days. It's all on the sky box.)

Comment

Dunno about these special Sky minutes , HBO Westworld episodes are like GOT - 57 mins to one hour.
                      Do they have bloopers or interviews with the cast or something to make them 72 mins?

Comment

Just piled through the entire thing in a week. Really very good indeed, beautifully shot and acted - Thandie Newton is absolutely superb throughout. The plot does disappear up its own arse for a short while but most things that need to get resolved get resolved while doors are left open for subsequent series.

It does have that HBO flaw of some sex 'n' violence for the hell of it - one scene in particular is quite troubling - but not on a GOT level, in my opinion.

Comment

Just starting this now.

Is the Westworld Park a real piece of the west, or is it completely artificial? Or will I find that out later?

Interesting that the premise is that it's a physical reality with robot characters rather than a Matrix-like sim.

Comment

Don't think the park is ever given a defined location, HP.

Comment

Just watched all ten episodes in a weekend. It lends itself to that. I feel like they could just end it right there, but apparently there's a second season coming.

I'd like to see them show what the "real world" is like in this future - assuming it is in the future. It's barely mentioned.

Comment

This week's episode, set largely in ShogunWorld, was hugely enjoyable. Thandie Newton's character is my favourite in the show, and to see Rinko Kikuchi as her analogue doing the dance to the shamisen-ed Wu Tang track and then its satisfying result was just so much fun.

Comment

It was fun, but dumb. Not a fan of Maeve becoming Westworld's Neo. I'm far preferring Humans at the moment.

Comment

Last week's episode was easily the best of the whole damn lot if I had to be honest about it, due, in no small part, to it being concentrated on the dialogue between the original backer of the whole theme-park enterprise (who was soon found to be a robotic experiment, renewed throughout the years until the 'glitches' could be ironed out) and his son (who would become Ed Harris's embittered man-in-black). With dull Delores and the Tedium Gang kept out of it, and Bernard and the long-lost Delos employee being the only other strand of the episode's story, it actually gave events more focus and made it immensely watchable. The scenes between Peter Mullan (excellent), the actor playing the son in his younger years (forgot his name, sorry) and finally Ed Harris, were terrific and were a change from the sometimes flaccid sprawl the series sometimes falls into.

I had the feeling that they perhaps should've combined series 1 and 2 so that they could cut out all the loose flab and keep all the best bits. It's still a superb concept that keeps me watching the whole thing, but the somewhat po-faced feel that runs within it (it's winning the war against humour, it seems), along with a languid, all-over-the-shop tone some episodes had, makes me a little frustrated about the whole enterprise. But that's my opinion, which will find obvious disagreement.

Comment

It may or may not be a minor point as the plot develops - as father/son, father/daughter, mother/son and mother/daughter relationships are some of the significant themes in the show - but Ed Harris is actually the son-in-law. He marries Mullan's daughter, having been first taken to the park by her brother. And yes, Mullan is perfect for that role, if a little typecast.

Comment

Ahh...cheers. Blimey, I need a chart/scorecard for all this stuff.

Comment

As Reed said 4 posts up and 15 months ago, shows like this and the Twin Peaks return ask a lot in terms of memory and details, and lend themselves to very concentrated binge watching (and re-watching). Throw in multiple timelines and the chart idea isn't a bad'un.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Cogito View Post
                                            As Reed said 4 posts up and 15 months ago, shows like this and the Twin Peaks return ask a lot in terms of memory and details, and lend themselves to very concentrated binge watching (and re-watching). Throw in multiple timelines and the chart idea isn't a bad'un.
                                            I've not yet started on Season 2 for this very reason. I could only keep up with Season 1 by watching every episode at least twice (and then rewatching the whole lot once I'd finished it and knew what was going on), reading various reviews and recaps AND listening to two podcasts.

With hindsight it was a lot of effort for a decent show albeit one with many significant flaws and plotholes.

Comment

I’m way behind and have just seen the Mullan episode referred to above, which was very good.
                                              Not sure about typecast, as I’ve never seen him do Martin Sheen-in-‘Apocalypse Now’ snaky dancing before!

Comment

Been binge watching season 2 which has some great moments and some really not so great.

The absolute nadir being a scene in episode 7 which is the most stupid, dumbest, implausible thing I've ever seen in a serious TV show.

[spoiler]Angela blowing up the CR4-DL thanks to the power of boners and the stupidest soldier in the history of stupid soldiering[/spoiler]

Comment

Working...
                                                X