Toni Erdmann

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toni Erdmann

I don't know if this will get much of a release in the UK and US, but I saw this in the week and enjoyed it a lot. It was shortlisted for the Palme d'Or and it's Germany's entry for Best Foreign Language Film at the Oscars.

So Winfried Conradi is a failing piano teacher (whose only student has just quit), obsessed with practical jokes, whose dog has died. This spurs him to try and reconnect with his estranged, career-obsessed daughter Ines, who is stationed in Romania.

At first he turns up on her doorstep, with predictably bad results, only later—after donning a cheap wig and false teeth—to become 'Toni Erdmann', self-styled life coach (and occasionally German ambassador). His subsequent gatecrashing of his daughters environment leads to increasingly absurdist situations, balanced against the equally absurd world of management consultants.

It's pretty long, but it strikes a perfect balance between sentimentality, absurdity and pathos. There are three particular scenes (I won't spoil them) that are properly laugh-out-loud funny. The two leads are terrific.

Toni Erdmann

Voted film of the year in Sight & Sound's international critics poll [link]. UK release in February. Seriously, go see this.

Comment

Toni Erdmann

Saw this yesterday evening in the arthouse cinema in Eindhoven. Very very good movie. I like it when a director allows his scenes some time to breathe.

It was also very interesting in a "there but for the grace of god go I" sort of way: about ten years ago I had considered pursuing a career in strategy consultancy, before coming to my senses and realizing that I'd be much happier in academia. One of my closest study friends ended up working one of these jobs, though, and he regularly has experiences where he needs to fly into something like Bangladesh in order to absolutely not interact with the local people there; just do your business thingy and get out again. I thought that the movie captured the essential emptiness of that life quite well. I am so glad I didn't choose that path.

Comment

Working...
      X