Atlanta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlanta

Holy fuck...are you guys ever gonna love this.

The two premiere episodes were marvellous and funny as hell.

It's on FX over here.

Atlanta

Yeah, I'm hoping it pops up on NowTV, which gets a fair bit of FX stuff. Big fan of Donald Glover.

Comment

Atlanta

I have it set to record. Haven't had a chance to watch yet. Very hopeful.

Edit: Actually that was phenomenally banal on my part, here's an article that made me the 'very hopeful':

http://www.avclub.com/article/after-25-years-tv-paul-simms-wants-see-other-peopl-241796

Other things I’ve worked on, I’ve had to work so hard and do so much writing. With this, it was never more than, “Eh, maybe tighten that scene up a little bit,” and then just sit back and enjoy watching the dailies.

Comment

Atlanta

Caught up on all three episodes last night. It might be a masterpiece. At the least it's getting some really great performances from the three male leads.

Comment

Atlanta

Last episode was the best yet. Loved the basketball game and the shooting range scene.

Comment

Atlanta

Actually my least favorite of the episodes so far, but the shooting range scene was absolute brilliance.

Comment

Atlanta

Yeah, Darius is the real sleeper character of the show. When he's looking in the cereal box where he'd hidden the gun..."Yo...there might be a bullet in here."

Comment

Atlanta

matt j wrote: Actually my least favorite of the episodes so far, but the shooting range scene was absolute brilliance.
                I thought it was very clever. The entire show had to do with identity, representation and their implications. Not the real Justin Beiber, but on obvious imitation. Not a real dog at the shooting range but a paper copy. While the real Earn was mistaken Francisco (or whatever his name was) — at the agents' schmooze-fest.

Comment

Atlanta

This show. Man. I don't think I've ever watched a weirder, frustrating, over-my-head, clearly not aimed at me, multiple=viewing required to unpack, mess of genius.

B.A.N. basically gave a series of brilliant asides around a curious talking heads segment (that honestly barely worked for me). The Club is five different things going on, each of which dissects Earn and Paper-Boi fully, then knocks everything over with one of the best endings to a 30-minute show I've ever seen. And Juneteenth is basically one step away from a horror movie.

And those all came after what was the nearly perfect "Value" episode focused on Van.

So much talent and creativity here, and I'm still not sure how to feel about half of it.

Comment

Atlanta

Yes, it's utterly scattered. He's got, apparently, 361 different ideas, and he's going to run with all of them. Some eps work and some are real stretches, but it's more than worth the half-hour. I suspect he's going to find a direction and follow it eventually, but these side trips are fascinating.

Comment

Atlanta

I dunno. The overarching theme seems to be identity and difference. Admittedly these are played out in a multitude of ways — sometimes in a single episode. But, whether it's race (mostly), relationships, celebrity, or authority they're all viewed through that lens.

Comment

Atlanta

Glover has apparently said he wants the viewer to feel like they're black. The explains the intimacy of the small moments, like the women in the restaurant or the ball-busting in the jail holding room. As I say, the unevenness can be frustrating, but rewarding.

Comment

Atlanta

Watched all 10 episodes this morning, it's utterly superb, one of the best things I've watched in a long time.

The start of the Juneteenth episode still confused me, why was his wife relatively cool with picking him up from another woman's house?

The D.A.B. episode was all over the place, the transracial report didn't work for me, but the Paper Boi justification speech followed by the animated cereal advert (which was dark as f*ck) were utter genius.

It's the blackest of comedies (no pun intended, but possibly intended on Glover's part), I found myself laughing at the outcome of the Uber driver and subsequent request to search his pockets. It shouldn't be funny, but it was hilarious.

I've got a assive Paper Boi earworm, the soundtrack overall is outstanding.

I intend to watch it again before it leaves Now TV to fully appreciate how good it is.

Comment

Working...
                          X