Jon Polito

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jon Polito

Passed away today, aged 65. Mainly known for his collaborations with the Coen Brothers, for instance in Miller's Crossing and The Big Lebowski, and The Man Who Wasn't There.

Jon Polito

Also Jay's main rival in the closets industry in Modern Family, and Silvio, Jerry Seinfeld's landlord in Seinfeld. Which is where I recognised him from.

Comment

Jon Polito

Crosetti.

RIP.

Comment

Jon Polito

His IMDB is testament to quite a work rate.

I should know but what part was his in The Big Lebowski?

Comment

Jon Polito

Da Fino.

Comment

Jon Polito

"I'm talkin'about friendship. I'm talkin' about character. I'm talkin' about -- Hell, Leo, I ain't embarrassed to use the word. I'm talkin' about ethics.

You know I'm a sportin' man. I like to lay the occasional bet. But I ain't that sportin'. When I fix a fight -- Say I pay a three to one favourite to throw a goddamned fight, I figure I got the right to expect that fight to go off at three to one.

But every time I lay a bet with this son of a bitch Bernie Bernbaum, the odds is even-up. Or worse, I'm bettin' on the short money. Now the sheeny knows I like sure things.

Outta town money comes pourin' in. The odds go straight to hell. He's sellin' the information I fixed the fight. I don't know who he's selling' it to. Maybe the Los Angeles combine. I don't know.

Anyway, the point is, Bernie ain't satisfied with the honest dollar he can make off the vig. He ain't satisfied with the business I do on his book.

He's sellin' tips on how I bet. And that means that part of the payoff that should be riding on my hip... is riding around on someone else's.

So back we go to these questions -- Friendship. Character. Ethics.

So it's clear what I'm sayin'?"

The opening lines to what is still my favourite film, twenty-six years on. He didn't write these words, but he sure said the hell out of them. Sets the tone like almost nothing else. Hell of an actor, and an irreplaceable loss.

Comment

Jon Polito

matt j wrote: Crosetti.

RIP.
              Absolutely.

Comment

Working...
              X