• Show
Clear All

Gene Wilder

RIP

Gene Wilder

I'd have gone with "He's kicked the Charlie Bucket"

Comment

Gene Wilder

Oh No. Hadn't seen him in anything in ages, but 20–30 years back, you could take him to the bank. Never really got over Gilda's death it seems. Sad.

Comment

Gene Wilder

Amor de Cosmos wrote: Oh No. Hadn't seen him in anything in ages, but 20–30 years back, you could take him to the bank.
        What a year. Sigh

Comment

Gene Wilder

Comment

Gene Wilder

Ach, boulers.
            I remember bigging up Young Frankenstein to my (then) early teenagers. When I finally tracked it down on VHS they sat stony faced as I laughed my arse off and looked at me like I was a mentalist. His bewildered deadpan face always cracked me up.
            I loved his Waco Kid in Blazing Saddles too.

Balls.
            Again.

Comment

Gene Wilder

As a kid, before I was introduced to BS and YF, I loved him with Pryor in Silver Streak.

I'm not a fan of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory the film, but I am a fan of his performance. So incredibly strange, yet fitting in such a madcap world that he inhabited.

Comment

Gene Wilder

Little bastard shot me in the ass!
                Bummer. RIP to the man who did panic like no-one else.

Comment

Gene Wilder

Toby Gymshorts wrote:
                  Little bastard shot me in the ass!
                  Bummer. RIP to the man who did panic like no-one else.
                  Haha
                  The bit where he's explaining to the new Sheriff about the racism he's up against.

'They're simple people. You know...morons'

Comment

Gene Wilder

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mjU03P_6nbQ

I have a vague recollection of spitting my beer out and then choking on the rest of it the first time I saw this.

Comment

Gene Wilder

So many glorious moments. Might go and watch Stir Crazy for the hell of it.

Comment

Gene Wilder

Damn. I've said it before, but his performance in Young Frankenstein is one of the greatest things ever committed to film.

Comment

Gene Wilder

Oh, fuck sake!

This really made me laugh when Jack Donaghy said it in my 30 Rock marathon recently.

"I do love Willy Wonka. He’s a true capitalist. His factory has zero factory regulations, slave labor, and an indoor boat. Wonderful."

Also, Blazing Saddles was one of my favourite films as a kid.

Comment

Gene Wilder

When my mom was dying of Leukemia in Sloan Kettering Hospital in 1995-95, Gene had opened up a wing or part of the hospital in honor of Gilda. He met my mom. My mom was so excited, and said how nice he was when he introduced himself, probably thinking somehow this was a connection where I'd be in his next movie.

Some movies are not movies as much as miracles. You can't imagine how something so brilliant could be made, or how happy they make you just thinking about them. Young Frankenstein is a miracle.

Gene Wilder, kind of a miracle.

Comment

Gene Wilder

Young Frankenstein is a miracle.

Ain't it though. And they're all gone now, except Cloris Leachman and Mel himself (both 90.) Night draws in...

Comment

Gene Wilder

Wilder made comedic acting as classy as hell, and it would be highly arguable if films such his collaborations with Mel Brooks would retain their comic power if he hadn't appeared in them. He actually gave all that manic stuff elegance and also a little depth. I might be wrong, but we'd be lucky to see that kind of quality again today.

Damn, he was good, a purveyor of many wonderful moments.

RIP.

Comment

Gene Wilder

I wasn't a great fan of Wilder's hysterical shtick, and yet I regard The Producers as one of the absolutely funniest films ever made.

Wilder had an exceptionally kind face.

Comment

Gene Wilder

Amor de Cosmos wrote: Young Frankenstein is a miracle.

Ain't it though. And they're all gone now, except Cloris Leachman and Mel himself (both 90.) Night draws in...
                                    Teri Garr won't be pleased to read that...

Comment

Gene Wilder

On a similar note to Amor's post I looked at Mel Brooks twitter feed as he'd posted something about Wilder. It seems to be a long list of tributes to dead colleagues interspersed with public appearances. Rather saddening.

Comment

Gene Wilder

Incandenza wrote:
                                        Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos
                                        Young Frankenstein is a miracle.

Sorry Terri — totally forgot. I had kind of a crush on her back in the day too.

Comment

Gene Wilder

Calvert wrote: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mjU03P_6nbQ

I have a vague recollection of spitting my beer out and then choking on the rest of it the first time I saw this.
                                          This is the conversation that Joe Biden has every day with Barrack Obama.

It's also one of the funniest scenes in film. just watch the way that Little is trying not to laugh. It must have taken days to shoot this scene.

Comment

Gene Wilder

Not wishing to play Dead Cast Bingo, but the above mentioned appear to be the major survivors of all the Wilder films mentioned on this thread, peripheral cast members aside.

Comment

Working...
                                            X