Cold Feet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Feet

... is returning very shortly for Series 6. Honestly. Didn't see that one coming. 13 and a half years away, crikey. That's longer than Leeds have been out of the top flight.

Cold Feet

What did we think, then? I thought the performances were as decent as ever, and it's quite a strong premise for the series. I'd give it 7/10, and am expecting later episodes to score higher.

A couple of things bothered me:

- The bit in the Chinese restaurant where David and Pete just spell out why they are miserable. Wasn't necessary, as it was all obvious. Was it just included for the hard of thinking?
    - There weren't as many funny bits as usual, but perhaps that is because they had a lot of dialogue and setup to get through.
    - I can't imagine that, if Adam was as besotted with Rachel's memory as he seems, he would have left their son in boarding school the whole time and gone off overseas by himself.
    - Given their past, it seems unlikely that Pete and Jenny would have stayed together this long, but again perhaps they are saving the acrimony there for the series itself.

Comment

Cold Feet

Surprised to see a reply to this thread, as I'd assumed the nil responses previously had been a sign of sniffiness about middle class middle-brow rubbish.

I haven't seen the new episode yet, but we've recorded it on to our hard drive as my missus is a fan. We saw the first five series back in the day.

Funnily enough, the only moment from the first 5 series that really sticks in my mind is an early moment in series 1 when Jenny (Fay Ripley) entices Pete into getting jiggy with a seductive "I've been a very bad girl, squire". Worked for me, I have to say.

Comment

Cold Feet

Watched it last night and I was very surprised at how easily the show slipped back in to it's groove after the thirteen year gap as well the tone change reflecting the characters facing up to fiftysomething life. With regard to Kev's concerns (and I don't think they're spoilers really but read ahead with caution) :

- I know a few couples who seem mutually-narcissistically obsessed with each other but far less interested in their teenage children. Set against that Adam leaving his son in boarding school doesn't seem that surprising. The question should really be how can anyone send their child to boarding school.

- I also know a few couples who are at least as acrimonious as Pete and Jen seemed. To be honest, there was more affection between those characters in the opening episode than I see in some marriages.

Comment

Cold Feet

Well I certainly feel vindicated in going only up to 7/10 for the first episode, because that's left me room to give Monday's at least a 9.

James Bolam's character was an inspired inclusion. The development of the Pete and Jen storyline [spoiler](depression in the case of Pete; the desire for excitement in the case of Jen)[/spoiler] more than answered my fourth point from episode 1.

Nothing 'clanged' at all - all very slick, characters just as you would expect them - and it was funny and with plot development too. Great stuff.

Comment

Cold Feet

I'll compare notes with you when I've watched our recording, Kev. Probably in several months' time.

Comment

Cold Feet

My wife, who was a big fan of the original series (serieses?), wasn't at all sure about this re-boot, so I recorded the first one for her. Two episodes in, and she's loving it as much as ever...

Comment

Cold Feet

It's bizarre that the show has returned at almost exactly the same time a new Bridget Jones movie comes out with both of them having a hiatus of 12/13 years.

Are we officially in to to turn-of-the-millennium nostalgia now?

Comment

Cold Feet

With the David Brent movie out too, I'm going to say yes.

Comment

Working...
                  X