And for a bonus point — WTF!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quiz shows that scream "Who could have possibly thought this was a good idea!"

Lance that Boyle was produced by Thames in the late 60s. A panel show based around questions on medical issues, it was chaired by Lance Percival and Katie Boyle (ha, ha, super!) two of the most irritating "personalities" on TV at the time. It lasted three weeks.

A show where people bake cakes. Come off it, nobody's going to watch that.

Comment

Sure they would. Cooking shows have been a TV staple since the days of Fanny & Johnnie Craddock — or even earlier. The only variation is making a game out of it. But ailments? "For ten points here's a question on melanomas..."

Comment

Amor will, of course, remember Bumper Stumpers. An entire game show based around deciphering often-cryptic personalized license plates. This was, of course, many years before Canada had personalized license plates.

Comment

Naked Jungle. I'm still mentally scarred.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote: A show where people bake cakes. Come off it, nobody's going to watch that.
            What about a show where people open boxes, and the other contestants give them hyper-validation?

Comment

We can call it "Guessing, with Noel Edmonds".

Also: Lets take people who have the same job and if they win we fly them to another country - to do that job for a week.

Comment

3 Colours Red wrote: Naked Jungle. I'm still mentally scarred.
                I'd never heard of this, and based on the Wiki description kind of wish I'd seen it. I especially liked this observation:

Channel 5 stated that it had received 50 phonecalls relating to the programme, "evenly split" between appreciation and criticism, including a woman who held the programme responsible for curing her post-natal depression.

Comment

You don't want to. From that very article you linked to:

The programme's presenter, Keith Chegwin, was also naked, except for a hat.
                  IT WASN'T PIXELATED! I really wish I could say I've never seen Cheggers' knob... but I can't...

Comment

I saw Naked Jungle when it was broadcast. Not good.

There's really no good reason for me to have to look at Cheggers' junk.

Comment

Surely 3-2-1 wins some kind of award for staging television's most incomprehensible barrel of cack with such brio that it attained the status of a bad dream? Crap variety acts, horrible skits, unfunny comedy turns, a remote-controlled bin and questions so ridiculously convoluted that only a code-breaking machine would've solved them and only then with some difficulty.

What was astonishing that it was wildly popular with the viewing public. Resurrect it again and they'd have to promote helplines in the closing credits for those traumatised by the experience.

Comment

The really bizarre thing about 3-2-1 is that it was a simplified, streamlined version of the original Un, Dos, Tres - a 90-minute variety spectacular combined with the requisite game show elements as well as allegories to life in ante- and post-Franco Spain. It lasted 32 years there - no wonder the country's ended up a complete basketcase.

Comment

I don't know whether 'streamlined' is the proper word for the British version, because the word suggests something controlled and having excess removed. Our 3-2-1 was simplified, sure, but was a raging mess of bumpkin disaster each week. 'Melange' would be kind to it.

Saying all that, I'm tempted to bring up You Tube and see if truly was as bad as my crumbling memory recalls it.

Comment

I once saw a game show in Italy where, I swear, the AIM of the game was to answer questions correctly, and every time you did, your wife would strip off an item of clothing. When you had successfully reduced her to complete nudity on national television, you would win an expresso maker, or a new lawnmower. The (by now topless) runners-up got nothing.

Comment

My dad used to be fascinated by some RAI 'game' show that was broadcast here. He'd describe some trivia portion where contestants of some kind would answer questions, but nobody got points. And then someone would sing. And the host would talk and talk and talk and talk, and the guests would sort of smile but nobody actually laughed. Then after twenty minutes, it was all over. He was like "What's the point of this? I wish I could speak Italian."

Comment

I seem to remember that every Italian game show I saw when I was there in the early 80s involved belle signore getting their thrupennies out.

Comment

On our honeymoon in France, we made a point of watching something called Fa Si La every night. (When time permitted, etc).

It was people trying to name songs, all sung wordless in the Tro Lo Lo style. Terrible, yet captivating.

Comment

On holiday in Italy a few years ago, TLMG and I stumbled upon a game show called Ciao Darwin. This particular episode pitted 50 women from the North of Italy against 50 from the South, and seemed to revolve around either them getting their kit off or being doused in water.

I have to say, I quite enjoyed it.

Comment

Working...
                                    X