No announcement yet.

Stranger Things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzie insisting on that song got Hopper killed. I hope she can live with that.

Comment

*SPOILER*
      That's assuming you think he died in there.

Comment

Also spoiler:

Joyce's faffing didn't do Billy any favours.

Comment

He’s almost certainly not dead.

Comment

So just finished and, while I agree that it sort of got more ludicrous than ever, I didn't think it was over-stretched, unlike the 9th episode last season.The Russian element was a welcome extra plot twist and another excellent 80s reference. I enjoyed the other 80s references - The Terminator one being the most obvious and, perhaps, a touch too obvious if you aren't already sold on the series but, there again, you wouldn't have got this far if you weren't. There was one episode that has some visual references to 'American Werewolf in London' which I didn't think remarkable until I remembered that AWIL is a British film and it made me wonder how big it was in the US.

[SPOILER]The scenes over the credits obviously point to a season 4 but also mention an American in the next cell to the guy that . There are only two American characters unaccounted for and that it Billy and Hopper. Actually, Billy is accounted for as he dies in Max's arms (which isn't 'ok' El) and you have to assumed that they stayed with his body until the army/paramedics turned up and, certainly, there were no live Russians around. We never see Hopper's body or him killed - although it is very close - so I can only assume that he is in the cell. The only other characters are the mayor - arrested, Nancy's parents, well, Dad, referenced in the post-script, Murray got out with Joyce and that is it. [/SPOILER]

Comment

By the way, from my experience, children roughly of the age of the children in the programme are very much interested in it even if they aren't all watching it. I do wonder what the ones that are make of it though, not least the technology. They must be shouting at the TV, “Why don't you use your I-phone?"

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                By the way, from my experience, children roughly of the age of the children in the programme are very much interested in it even if they aren't all watching it. I do wonder what the ones that are make of it though, not least the technology. They must be shouting at the TV, “Why don't you use your I-phone?"
                They're teenagers not idiots. They understand the way that period dramas work

Comment

Your belief that teenagers =/= idiots is life-affirming. When you say that they understand how period dramas work, I genuinely wonder what period dramas are big amongst teenagers. 'The Woman In Black' seemed very popular amongst them but I can't think of any others. Not doubting what you say, just that I can't put my finger on them presently.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                    Murray got out with Joyce[/SPOILER]
                    Edit to add proper spoiler tags: Show
                    Did he? I don't remember seeing him in the final scenes after the escape (and we just watched the last episode last night). We see Joyce hug Will, but we don't see Murray. Who's to say the Russians didn't grab him somehow and leave Joyce to escape on her own? When 'the American' got mentioned in that final post-credits scene my girlfriend and I were thinking, 'Okay that's either Hop or Murray.' Brenner I suppose could be the other option.
                    Last edited by Sam; 08-08-2019, 00:36.

Comment

Hmm, sorry to anyone who's not watched until the end yet. Is it just me for whom spoiler tags aren't working? I can see all of every post on this thread, whether or not there are spoiler tags used for them.

Comment

You have to use the advanced editor options. There's an eye looking icon. It's tricky though--I keep typing the part I want hidden in the part that you can see.

first box- typing in what I want hidden: Show
                        then you type between the /spoiler tags

OK, I got it now--type what you want shown in the pop up, then type the hidden part between the tags. It's not very intuitive.

Comment

It was the most forgettable season so far, I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                            Hmm, sorry to anyone who's not watched until the end yet. Is it just me for whom spoiler tags aren't working? I can see all of every post on this thread, whether or not there are spoiler tags used for them.
                            You have to use SPOILER=whatevertextyouwanttoappearinstead as opening tag. Closing tag is /SPOILER as usual.

Comment

It was my favorite season so far.

Comment

I would have thought that a massive thing saying 'Spoiler' would desist someone from reading on but anyhoo, here goes.

Originally posted by Sam View Post

[SPOILER]Did he? I don't remember seeing him in the final scenes after the escape (and we just watched the last episode last night). We see Joyce hug Will, but we don't see Murray. Who's to say the Russians didn't grab him somehow and leave Joyce to escape on her own? When 'the American' got mentioned in that final post-credits scene my girlfriend and I were thinking, 'Okay that's either Hop or Murray.' Brenner I suppose could be the other option.
                                Well, someone else thinks that the Brenner/Hopper possibilities are good. https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...ory-explained/. I will bow to your greater knowledge as far as Murray is concerned.

Woo-hoo!
                                Last edited by Bored Of Education; 07-08-2019, 21:40.

Comment

Ah, so you have to type something in that pop-up, then. Okay. I left it blank thinking it'd still hide everything between the tags.

Comment

Oh and Bored, I'm not saying I don't think they're good. I just didn't automatically assume that the character you mention got out alive, for the reasons I put above.

Comment

Sorry, I meant to say that someone else had come up with your Brenner possibility - which I hadn't thought of. Post written after too much driving.

Comment

Ah, yes. We'd actually forgotten about that character when we watched the end of it, hence my mentioning them in my post, but separately to our collective thoughts on the final scene. After reading the article you tried to link to (that link is broken, by the way, but I found it through a quick bit of googling) I think my money would now be on that character.

(Think this was sufficiently spoiler free to not bother with tags, but obviously readers who haven't yet seen the end of series 3 shouldn't reveal the text in Bored's post to which I'm replying.)

Comment

I enjoyed this series. Yes, the plot may well have been the daftest yet, but the monsters and the Upside Down were always really macguffins--the appeal of the series was always in the characters and, to a smaller extent, the period details.

So there was lots to like really. Robin was the standout character. Also Max was much more fleshed out in this series and the Max-El scenes were very good. And Erica (although I knew that, as she stole the show in her few scenes last season).

The Neverending Story rendition was hilarious.

Surely they can't kill off Hopper? And El must get her powers back?
                                          Last edited by Stumpy Pepys; 14-08-2019, 11:52.

Comment

Well, that was glorious. My favourite season yet. And holy crap, have those kids grown up fast. They'll be shaving in the next series.

My son, that age exactly, binged it in a day. And my daughter finally caught the bug and watched the whole series.

I couldn't stress to them enough that that mall is exactly...down to the finest detail...what a mall of my teenage years looked like. Whoever designed / art directed that series should be awarded with...well, whatever they want. Maybe two of them. If they kept that place as a tourist destination, I'd go.

I have to be honest; the Neverending Story thing came out of left field and was really rather stupid.

But otherwise, more of this sort of thing, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                              Well, that was glorious. My favourite season yet. And holy crap, have those kids grown up fast. They'll be shaving in the next series.

My son, that age exactly, binged it in a day. And my daughter finally caught the bug and watched the whole series.

I couldn't stress to them enough that that mall is exactly...down to the finest detail...what a mall of my teenage years looked like. Whoever designed / art directed that series should be awarded with...well, whatever they want. Maybe two of them. If they kept that place as a tourist destination, I'd go.

I have to be honest; the Neverending Story thing came out of left field and was really rather stupid.

But otherwise, more of this sort of thing, for sure.
                                              It was very accurate partly because they used a wing of a dying mall (at least, I assume it's dying. They all are) in Georgia for the set.

The only 80s store that I didn't see was a Chess King. Chess King is the most 80s thing that ever 80sed. Even more so than Limahl. Perhaps it was there and I missed it.

I recently learned that my cousin worked at an Orange Julius in a mall in the 80s. In Iowa. DQ bought them in 1987 and mostly just added that brand to DQ places, but apparently there are still stand-alone Orange Juliuses in Ontario.

I didn't think that was stupid. That's exactly the kind of song that kids like that would make "their song." And now its stuck in my head.

Nice of Wikipedia to curate this for us. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1980s_fashion

The nostalgia is making me sad. I know the 80s weren't really that great, but life felt hopeful then and I had moments of unfettered contentment. Now I just worry about stuff.

Comment

It's so odd when things like this happen: I've literally never, ever heard of Chess King. Never seen one, never heard of one, never heard reference to one.

Orange Julius shows up as a sideline to DQ more than a standalone operation, but I can't say I see it around much. I love the idea that someone, somewhere keeps pushing brands like that forward in the market.

And yeah, that song is jammed into my brain sideways now. Thanks Limahl. But I meant stupid in the context of the story; it was stuffed in there as a plot point, but had no support or prior. It was extraneous.

I'm with you on the '80s. But it was supposed to feel hopeful for us: we just realized we were people and the whole show was still ahead of us. And great music. I seriously dug it at the time and still do. Probably a major part of why I enjoyed this seasons so much. I really did feel like a bit of a time machine.

Comment

Almost as if you grew up in a different country . . .

Comment

Well, the beauty of American cultural influence is that you can live the experience without actually being a resident.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X