Bakersfield PD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bakersfield PD

does anybody recall this brief but classic show from the early 90's, set in bakersfield CA. a cop show where the chief could never make his mind up, the cool black cop the only guy living in reality

where can i get it on dvd?

Bakersfield PD

Yep, a few people on here remember it. There was a thread a while back about TV shows we loved but were cancelled early, and I mentioned it, thinking I would be the only one who remembered it. But I ad hoc and FF, I think, mentioned it before me.

The black cop was Giancarlo Esposito, the really high-strung Afrocentric guy in Do The Right Thing. He's also been a few other Spike Lee movies, and a season of Homicide. Brian Doyle Murray was also good in it, and even William H. Macy was on it once. This is back when Fox was tiny and didn't have much critical respect, aside from The Simpsons.

It's not on DVD yet, but I'd think that because it has a bit of an online following, that whichever studio owns the rights to it would get around to putting it out eventually.

My favorite line of the show: "You know what they say about dying in Bakersfield--it's redundant." Even funnier if you've been to Bako.

Comment

Bakersfield PD

I loved this show. Havent been able to find it on a proper dvd release, or even a bittorrent, but I did find someone on the net a while ago who had taped them all and was burning them onto discs and selling copies. Which isn't ideal but i was tempted to give it a go. But i cant find the link now

Comment

Bakersfield PD

I was one of the biggers-up as well, I think.

Comment

Bakersfield PD

Me too. Would have been much more popular if it hadn't been shunted around the schedules, rather like Larry Sanders. But that was part of why I liked it. It made getting to watch it a challenge.

Comment

Bakersfield PD

I saw Giancarlo Esposito on Broadway a couple of months ago. He was in Debbie Allen's version of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

Comment

Bakersfield PD

Here's a little sample on YouTube, for those who have no idea what this thread is about.

Comment

Bakersfield PD

Giancarlo Esposito was also the cop with the cigar in the usual suspects

Comment

Bakersfield PD

Thank you, rick, I was trying to remember what else he was in.

I notice from his IMDB entry that he was in a 2005 film called Carlito's Way - The Rise to Power. What the fuck is that all about. I assume it is a prequel without Pacino that went straight to DVD.

I loved Bakersfield. I also loved Evening Shade which was around the same time and difficulty in trying to locate in the schedules

Comment

Bakersfield PD

Comment

Bakersfield PD

And yes, it went straight to DVD.

Comment

Bakersfield PD

Loved the scene where the white cop wanted them to have nicknames.

Comment

Working...
                        X