Hello Darlin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Darlin'

Which madman (or madwoman) thought this might be a good idea?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36715695

Hello Darlin'

Tippa Irie earworm.

Comment

Hello Darlin'

The season will also include new episodes of Are You Being Served?, Steptoe and Son, Till Death Us Do Part, Porridge, Keeping Up Appearances and Up Pompeii!.

Oh dear. Brexit TV. Can't possibly end well can it.

Comment

Hello Darlin'

RAH Band earworm.
        Conway Twitty earworm.

Comment

Hello Darlin'

Only a matter of time beITVLawks retaliate with On The Buses, Curry and Chips, and Lawks! I've Moved Next Door to a Darkie.

Comment

Hello Darlin'

In the countryside, many years ago, they had a reality series/comedy mashup called "Last of the Summer Buses".

Comment

Hello Darlin'

G-Man wrote: RAH Band earworm.
              Conway Twitty earworm.
              Whereas it made me think of Charlie Drake...

Comment

Hello Darlin'

The ghost of Ed "Stewpot" Stewart?

Comment

Hello Darlin'

How are they making a new episode of porridge? Isn't everyone involved dead?

Comment

Hello Darlin'

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: How are they making a new episode of porridge? Isn't everyone involved dead?
                    Peter Vaughan's still alive surprisingly. As are Biggins and Tony Osoba (McClaren). Pretty much everyone else is dead.

Comment

Hello Darlin'

Marks & Gran have already got away with resurrecting Birds Of A Feather: it is hard to see this as a greater outrage.

Comment

Hello Darlin'

Amor de Cosmos wrote: The season will also include new episodes of Are You Being Served?, Steptoe and Son, Till Death Us Do Part, Porridge, Keeping Up Appearances and Up Pompeii!.

Oh dear. Brexit TV. Can't possibly end well can it.
                        Before I read the article, I just assumed this was Amor taking the piss. I find it hard to believe that it's real.

Comment

Hello Darlin'

At least four of those shows are brilliant.

Comment

Hello Darlin'

Indeed so, which is a very good reason not to remake them.

Comment

Hello Darlin'

Quite. Why the eff do they do it?

I felt the same about that wretched Dad's Army film - and then made the mistake of sharing this opinion on Facebook.

Comment

Hello Darlin'

Je Suis Womble wrote: Quite. Why the eff do they do it?

I felt the same about that wretched Dad's Army film …
                                Did it make a profit?

Comment

Hello Darlin'

Are You Being Served?
                                  I can't imagine what kind of state Mrs Slocombe's pussy is in now.

Comment

Hello Darlin'

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                                    Originally posted by Je Suis Womble
                                    Quite. Why the eff do they do it?

I felt the same about that wretched Dad's Army film …
                                    Did it make a profit?
                                    It took around £10m worldwide at the box office, apparently, but I've no idea how it did in terms of home sales.

I'd be surprised if it turned much of a profit, tbh. It still seems to me the biggest waste of time and talent imaginable.

Comment

Hello Darlin'

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                                      Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
                                      How are they making a new episode of porridge? Isn't everyone involved dead?
                                      Peter Vaughan's still alive surprisingly. As are Biggins and Tony Osoba (McClaren). Pretty much everyone else is dead.
                                      David Jason and Dudley Sutton are also both still alive.

Comment

Hello Darlin'

Are You Being Served is still on PBS in the US. It is a Carry On rip-off essentially. You can match the stereotypes, e.g. Humphries Hawtree, the Sid James Jack The Lad, the dolly bird, Sugden-Jaques

Yet the Yanks famously never understood the crux of Fawlty Towers.

Comment

Hello Darlin'

Tiddles (Mrs Slocombe's Pussy) is back. Anyone see it last night?

Comment

Hello Darlin'

I urge everyone familiar with 1970s British peak-time comedy to click on that link - the "Are You Being Served" summary is just one of several pieces of brilliance. One of wingco's best ever imho.

Comment

Hello Darlin'

Tiddles (Mrs Slocombe's Pussy) is back. Anyone see it last night?
                                              Not the whole thing no, but just skimmed through some brief moments on I-player. As woeful as you might expect, perhaps worse. Panned in the reviews today.

Whilst remakes of wonderful stuff like Dad's Army or Ealing classics are just horrible, remakes of rubbish like "Are You Being Served" actually serve a useful purpose of illustrating by contrast that the original had many redeeming features, such as deftness of touch by actors and scriptwriters alike.

Comment

Hello Darlin'

One thing I couldn't get out of my head was that, whilst they had obviously made some effort in the casting to find look-alikes for the original actors, the guy playing Mr Humphries actually bore a closer resemblance to Ralph Cifaretto from The Sopranos.

Comment

Hello Darlin'

Seriously though, Goodnight Sweetheart? Radio 4 announced this while we were eating tea and I almost dropped my sandwich in surprise in the same manner you would if you heard that if you heard that Iggy Pop ad kicked the bucket.

I now realise that I have painted myself into a scene that wouldn't look out of place in "Goodnight Sweetheart". I don't want to put a grubby veneer to the thread but was he actually shagging both of the female leads? Did it become entertaining when he realised, "Back to the future"-style, that she was his long-lost gran or something?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X