Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unsuccessful programmes you were addicted to.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think they were alone in their opinion SR. Not quite as alone as you might be. (insert smiley)

Comment

He's not alone.

Comment

Ultra Violet

Great series that did an upgrade on vampire and vampire hunting to the modern age. Clever, credible plot, well written characters. It ended after 6 (?) episodes when it had enough material and loose ends to continue.

Comment

I quite liked Paris as well. Have just remembered Ghostbusters of East Finchley with him from Press Gang as well.

Comment

Fuzzy - Both. The thing with Larry Sanders, then Sopranos and Sex in the City, was that subscriptions went through the roof. Being that Sopranos shot in 35mm, with their highpriced stars who would go on strikes after every season, that took up a lot of that subscription money.

The Wire and Deadwood each got incredible reviews, but were too challenging for most people. They didn't bring in any subscriptions, and Deadwood required cast members to live in a Californian desert for a few months. The Wire didn't have the costs of building an entire Wild West town, either. So basically they had to make a choice.

However, it's going to be HBO's Lonesome Dove, in which a new film will come out every few years. Being that Al Swearengen ended up owning a theatre that featured Calamity Jane as the main attraction, and he ended up dying of old age in real life, there was certainly a lot of things to film before that.

Comment

A Very Peculiar Practice has no place on an 'Unsuccessful Programmes' thread.

'Hippies' has just been released on DVD.

'Ultraviolet' certainly looked like it was set up for another series, a shame in never happened.

On a Channel 4 alternative comedy in the 80's tip, I always used to watch 'Little Armadillos'.

Comment

King Mob wrote:
                'Hippies' has just been released on DVD.
                Ah, mint! I've been waiting for that to happen.

Comment

I loved Don't Worry!, a late-night series on C4 two or three years ago in which brightly coloured puppets challenged corporations on their ethical practices. I've got it all on video but that's no use these days.

On the puppets tip there's the fantastic Wonder Showzen as well, but we did that quite recently in the old place.

Comment

However, it's going to be HBO's Lonesome Dove

I've only seen one sequel to Lonesome Dove (Return To...?). A fairly ho-hum oater, if I remember and not a patch on McMurtry's follow-up Streets of Laredo. Are they intending to film his prequels?

I think the intention with Deadwood is to make two full-length features to finish the story lines, rather than the two series originally planned. Holding my breath probably isn't advisable, though.

Comment

Breeze Block with Tim Healy and a few other Geordie actors - a brief outing on BBC4 a few years ago and then gone. I liked it but it seems no one else did...

Comment

Carnevale and Rome would be a perfect examples if they were watchable and/or enjoyable and/or not deserving of getting canned.
                        I thought they were both all of those things!

Was there supposed to be more than two seasons of Rome? I was under the impression that it was only intended to tell the story from Caesar's conquest of Gaul to the deaths of Anthony and Cleopatra.
                        Well maybe Rome was only meant to tell the story as far as Actium or wherever it ended, but Carnivale totally ended on a ludicrous cliffhanger and I really want to know what would have happened...

I'll throw another nomination in for Firefly. However I think there's something lovely in a series only running for one excellent season and not degenerating year after year.
                        Yesbut they stopped it halfway through!
                        I know Serenity let us know some of what would have happened if they'd finished it, but still.

Sitcoms - Nightingales, anyone? I loved that. Oh and I recently got DVDs of AVPP which I also loved, I'm looking forward to seeing how it aged...

Comment

There had been a third series of Rome planned, but then they decided it was too expensive to be worth continuing. (Rome's budget was huge.)

Comment

One of the main ways that A Very Peculiar Practice has dated is that there are many more Bob Buzzard types in the world now.

Comment

I'd say that makes it more prescient than dated.

Comment

"I know Serenity let us know some of what would have happened if they'd finished it, but still."

I doubt Whedon would have killed off Wash and Book quite so quickly if the series had continued, or revealed River's secret. And he's got a pretty good record of maintaining a series quality over multiple seasons. It's not like there'd be a shortage of stories to tell in that universe, and the characters had such potential.

Comment

Lots that I agree with on here.

Kelly Montieth must have been fairly big for me to have noticed it at an early age. Was it just that there hasn't been a significant revival that makes you think it was unsuccesful? It was the proto-Seinfeld, wasn't it?

Was Northern Exposure actually that big here? I thought I was the only person that watched it? I also have the book of the show here still.

Conversely,I thought Thirtysomething was massive over here.

I also agree with "Early Doors". I thought it was excellent and pissed all over "The Royle Family". Much funnier and much more sympathetic characters.

The only one that I can add to the list is "WKRP in Cinncinatti" and, possibly, "Married with Children"

It's funny that even so-so US sitcoms are so much better than so-so UK sitcoms. "The Big Bang Theory" isn't great but, at least, it makes you laugh fairly often unlike "Two pints of lager" or "My Family"

Comment

I loved 'Married With Children' but I think it was very successful in the US. In the UK, they would just stick it on at weird times.

Comment

Bored Of The Dance wrote:
                                      The only one that I can add to the list is "WKRP in Cinncinatti" and, possibly, "Married with Children"
                                      Wow. Both very big in the US. "Married With Children" basically kept Fox going in its early years.

Comment

BotD: I've got four seasons of Northern Exposure on DVD.

Comment

My friend has a Northern Exposure cookbook!

I think it was quite big it its day, I certainly watched it, and it had a regular slot on Channel 4 which helps. I love the Spanish translation of 'Northern Exposure' - 'Doctor en Alaska.' Doesn't leave much to the imagiantion.

My favourite Spanish translation of an American programme is 'Hill Street Blues' which became 'Cancion triste de Hill Street.' They went for the literal translation there - 'Sad song of Hill Street.'

Comment

Another one I loved was "Evening Shade"

Comment

A favorite random line from the Simpsons is from one of the more recent clip shows--after the clips, it ends with Kang & Kodos thrilled to get tickets to the People's Choice Awards..."Ooh! Burt Reynolds and Michael Jeter!" "Could an Evening Shade reunion be in the works???"

Comment

They stopped Firefly halfway through? I know I didn't particularly like it but that's pretty harsh. Why did they stop it? Bad reviews? Low viewing figures?

I knew there was one I was forgetting - Invasion. A not too bad take on Invasion of the Bodysnatchers, starring William Fichtner and the fella from Third Watch whose name I can't remember.

Thinking about it, I don't know if Invasion was unsuccessful. The second series wasn't made because no-one was prepared to take on the production costs.

Comment

Fox fucked Firefly over from the beginnning. They showed the episodes out of order, including the pilot which had a lot of necessary character introductions. They moved it around the schedule as well, and then when it didn't get huge viewing figures they canned it. Quite how they were expecting to do well in the circumstances is beyond me.

Comment

I doubt Whedon would have killed off Wash and Book quite so quickly if the series had continued, or revealed River's secret. And he's got a pretty good record of maintaining a series quality over multiple seasons. It's not like there'd be a shortage of stories to tell in that universe, and the characters had such potential.
                                                    Yeah, I'm sure he wouldn't have. I meant things like Book and Inara leaving Serenity between the end of episode 13 or whichever it was.

You know what else is a crime. The subtitles on the Firefly DVDs. Bloody awful they are. I know who's responsible for them and all,.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X