Marcella

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marcella

Anyone else watch this? Written by the bloke who wrote The Bridge, Hans Rosenfeldt. His first dranma to be written for British telly.
    Anna Friel is the eponymous lead, and whilst she isn't likely to ever reach the iconic status of Saga Norén, possibly one of my favourite ever characters in TV or film, she is of a similar mould, ie outstanding detective but with a seriously messed up private life and a terribly flawed character.
    I'm hooked, anyway.

Marcella

Thanks for the heads up, Sean. I had heard a little bit about it but watched it tonight based on your positive comments and the Bridge connection. (By the way, I've just heard they've just started filming series 4).

Marcella was very good and I will be sticking with it. It is quite Bridgelike, which is never a bad thing.

Comment

Marcella

I enjoyed it but, given the Scandi comparisons, realised that I was having to make a conscious effort to concentrate without there being subtitles to achieve that automatically.

Comment

Marcella

Anna Friel looks the same age as she did 22 years ago.

Comment

Marcella

Talking of the Bridge, it was good to see The Tunnel back for a second series. One for another thread perhaps.

Watched the first two episodes of Marcella sandwiching episode 1 of 'The Tunnel - Sabotage' last night, enjoyable.

Agree with the concentration effort, I found it a little challenging keeping track of who was who, while Mrs Anorak simply fell asleep.

Comment

Marcella

Thread title = Beach Boys earworm

Comment

Marcella

Just saw the last 2 episodes of this at the weekend. My god, what a unholy mess they made of a very promising start. I think, however, it's getting a second series.

Comment

Marcella

Binge watched this on Netflix. It did start well, but I agree that it faded a bit. I liked the way they weaved a lot of different types of problematic characters but was left a little cold in the end with the actual killer (avoiding spoilers although I assume not too many people are going to jump into the thread at this point).

I am getting a bit burned out on the obsessive/borderline out of control detective stories even if I keep coming back to them. At least this one had a twist with the mental illness/depression angle.

Comment

Marcella

I thought it was good but does not have enough potential for a second series. Some similarities with Bosch, maybe, but that shows up the differences: you want to watch Bosch have further adventures and complications, but Friel just tires you out after one series. She's not Helen Mirren quality as an actress, and the character does not have many redemptive charms. Whereas Bosch has some integrity (not backing his lover's false story in series 1), I'm not sure Friel's character is any more attractive to follow as a character than the criminals she investigates. But I am male and maybe if I could empathize more within the contradictions of the Friel character's life roles, I'd be more keen to spend another series with her.

Comment

Ooh, I'm nearly through the second season, so just bumping this without reading.

Comment

Oh bloody hell.

Comment

Bit disappointed by that ending.

Comment

(Season two, that is. Seems there is a third to come this year. I dunno.)

Comment

Working...
                          X