Bats vs Supes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bats vs Supes

I was never a big DC universe follower; but for some reason Superman and Batman comics seemed to be easier to get hold of - or more syndicated, in my part of southern England in my transition years between youth and teenager.
    There were some quite interesting, "what if" stories that I always thought would make a more interesting flick than just the usual super hero ones.
    One very odd one, was around Superman marrying Lois Lane, and having offspring, some had super powers, some not - it didn't end well and had lots of parental angst, that at my age I didn't understand.
    But the best one was, for no apparent reason I could see, both Batman and Superman ended up on a planet , which had a red sun.
    So suddenly Superman, is just Clark Kent, and Batman kicks the living shit out of him (oh another strange thing is Batman has broken bad) - so old Clark has to learn basic hand to hand fighting skills, until they get back to good old yellow sunshine. Being Superman, he doesn't reciprocate - I think the effect of the red sun has addled Batman's moral compass so they kiss and make up.

Now why don't they have those stories as films?

Comment

Bats vs Supes

rogin, don't you think that the creators of superman were a bit jewish to make a comic celebrating jesus?

Comment

Bats vs Supes

Patrick Thistle wrote:
        Not aimed at you particularly. There had been a couple of harrumphing posts about crossovers.

Superman didn't even start in his own comic let alone his own fictional universe, so I'm not sure about the whole separate creation angle.
        Whatever, the point still stands. But have them all in bed together if that's what you want.

Comment

Bats vs Supes

Ginger Yellow wrote: As I understand it this film is basically Snyder's take on The Dark Knight Returns (though changed enough so as not to be an official adaptation). Snyder being Snyder, though, he misses the point.
          I assume Superman hasn't sucked up the effects of a nuclear blast.

Comment

Bats vs Supes

Jah Womble wrote: Patrick Thistle wrote:
            Not aimed at you particularly. There had been a couple of harrumphing posts about crossovers.

Superman didn't even start in his own comic let alone his own fictional universe, so I'm not sure about the whole separate creation angle.
            Whatever, the point still stands. But have them all in bed together if that's what you want.
            It's not what I want. The film looks utterly awful and I won't be going to see it.

Anyway, I was saying I'm not sure Batman and Superman were created in separate universes so that kind of negates your point. I think they shared writers, along with several other superheroes, in the early days.

Judge Dredd v Batman, now that was a crossover too far. And Aliens v Predator, which only happened because Dark Horse comics had the rights to produce comic books featuring the characters. There's also an Aliens v Terminator crossover which was as awful as you'd expect. (In fact I think even Superman has battled the Aliens) Your point would stand for all of those.

Comment

Bats vs Supes

Fair enough, but if certain superheroes 'do' exist in the same universe (and I'm happy to accept your greater knowledge of this) - then why don't they just work in tandem all the time and have done with it?

(I'm expending far too much energy on this...)

Comment

Bats vs Supes

Judge Dredd v Batman, now that was a crossover too far.
                Judge Dredd V Mars Attacks was pretty fun.

Comment

Bats vs Supes

Haha, there was a period where Aliens had crossovers with everything. Batman v Aliens, Superman v Aliens (1 and 2), Judge Dredd v Aliens, Green Lantern v Aliens.

The best has to be WildC.A.T.s/Aliens which was written by Warren Ellis.

As Wikipedia tells us

"When the idea for the crossover was explained to him Warren Ellis wasn't enthusiastic, he kept telling them he thought the idea was "Bloody stupid" but was won round when "he was told that he could kill any character he wanted"."

So he killed most of Stormwatch and got to start the Authority with characters he wanted.

Now I want to read Planetary again.

Comment

Bats vs Supes

Jah Womble wrote: Fair enough, but if certain superheroes 'do' exist in the same universe (and I'm happy to accept your greater knowledge of this) - then why don't they just work in tandem all the time and have done with it?

(I'm expending far too much energy on this...)
                    Well... there is the Justice League.

And in Marvel you get the Avengers and various other groups.

But you make a good point.

The other side of it is why does anyone bother with crime? If the world is safer and fairer etc because of the superheroes it would be much easier to be successful legitimately.

The continuing existence of criminal actitivy in Metropolis implies Superman isn't much of a deterrent. Or doesn't actually change very much by intervening.

Comment

Bats vs Supes

Reed John wrote: I don't want to talk about it. Sigh
                      Everything I've read about BvS kind of makes me mad. And considering I was still pissed about Dark Knight Returns* and I think the chances of Suicide Squad not being shit are between slim and none. DC movies are dead to me.

On the other hand, Bruce Timm & co are doing The Killing Joke. Maybe I'll go back and watch the animated Batman series again.

(*Edit: meant Rises, but probably you got that.)

Comment

Bats vs Supes

Dark Knight Returns was the glorification of the 1% who obviously all know best how to run a city. The alternative to the entrenched powers that be is terrorism and kangaroo courts.

It was utter political dreck.

Comment

Bats vs Supes

Well, yeah, it's Frank Miller.

Comment

Working...
                          X