Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The No Ronnies.

Ronnie Corbett has died at 85.

There were often fairly dodgy bits of their shows (although in keeping with the times I guess) but he and Barker produced some genuinely funny moments.

The No Ronnies.

If only somebody could come up with a witty and amusing headline to mark the passing of this comedy stalwart of British television.

RIP.

Comment

The No Ronnies.

I also had "The Two Gonnies" but I doubt that would have made you any less sour.

Comment

The No Ronnies.

And it's a goodnight from him!

Comment

The No Ronnies.

RIP. I loved them. Only the other day he was in that Status Quo film impersonating Rick Parfitt.

Comment

The No Ronnies.

One of the television greats. I wasn't a fan of his monologues but the scripts and rapport with Ronnie Barker were wonderful. Better than Morecambe and Wise imho.

Comment

The No Ronnies.

Gutted to hear this out of the blue - I grew up on the Ronnies and always absolutely loved them. Will have to light a candle in his memory...no, better make that four.

Comment

The No Ronnies.

Ah, there's another little bit of childhood gone. RIP.

Comment

The No Ronnies.

Agreed, much better than Eric and Ern. Although the latter's slapstick may have gone over my head as a youngster.

Comment

The No Ronnies.

Various Artist wrote: Gutted to hear this out of the blue - I grew up on the Ronnies and always absolutely loved them. Will have to light a candle in his memory...no, better make that four.
                    And we have a winner!

Comment

The No Ronnies.

Another who thought The Two Ronnies were great. I also enjoyed Sorry! too. RIP.

Comment

The No Ronnies.

Q How are most people feeling today?

A Sorry.

RIP, RC.

Comment

The No Ronnies.

This will cheer us up:

RIP

Comment

The No Ronnies.

Language, Foxy!

Sorry was truly terrible, although not quite as bad as Open All Hours. I was reminded how shite sitcoms could be in the 80s when that retro thing with Ali Steadman and Paula Wilcox came on the other night. I endured less than 10 minutes.

Comment

The No Ronnies.

I loved Ronnie C's monologues, just because they were rambling and shapeless - the joke was invariably shit but that wasn't the point.

Seemed like a nice fella. I like the thread title, btw.

Comment

The No Ronnies.

Paul S wrote: One of the television greats. I wasn't a fan of his monologues but the scripts and rapport with Ronnie Barker were wonderful. Better than Morecambe and Wise imho.
                                I'd agree with that. As stated earlier there was some stuff that would never be accepted now, but Barker was an incredibly prolific and consistent writer. Corbett was never the stooge in sketches that Wise was though, it seemed a much more equal partnership.

Comment

The No Ronnies.

Seriously 2016, just fuck off.

Another vote here for The Two Ronnies over Morecambe & Wise (although the latter were still geniuses too, of course).

Comment

The No Ronnies.

Paul S wrote: And it's a goodnight from him!
                                    Which should have been the thread title.

Second only to Morecambe and Wise in the all-time comedy duos. Another part of my upbringing but nice that he kept working, relevant and funny pretty much up to his death.

Comment

The No Ronnies.

Duncan Gardner wrote: RIP. I loved them. Only the other day he was in that Status Quo film impersonating Rick Parfitt.
                                      Oh, I am going to have to see that.

Comment

The No Ronnies.

Very well played VA.

Definitely a firm favourite, watched many times with my parents years ago. And then, years later, he popped up and did this:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2qzdkd

(There's a fantastic out-take of this scene, too, where he completely floors Gervais by audibly putting the 'h' in 'whizz'.)

Comment

The No Ronnies.

And yet Hope & Keen / Cannon & Ball / The Chuckle Brothers / Dave & Gideon still carry on…

(Delete as appropriate)

Comment

The No Ronnies.

Thursdays seem to be a bit of a killer at the moment, in the last five of them we've lost Martin Crowe, Keith Emerson, Paul Daniels, Johan Cruyff and now Ronnie Corbett.

Comment

The No Ronnies.

Guy Profumo wrote: And yet Hope & Keen / Cannon & Ball / The Chuckle Brothers / Dave & Gideon still carry on…
                                              Older people die, whilst younger people stay alive shock!

Comment

The No Ronnies.

The Two Ronnies was a lot of fun when I was younger - Barker's wordplay, Corbett's monologue, Charlie Farley & Piggy Malone, etc - but I never enjoyed those occasional pop spoofs.

I mean, it clearly wasn't 'them' (nor their demographic, for that matter), and Barker in particular never looked happy dressing up as Buster Bloodvessel, etc. (The likelihood is that he'd not even have heard of him before that show's script meeting.)

Comment

The No Ronnies.

longeared wrote: Thursdays seem to be a bit of a killer at the moment, in the last five of them we've lost Martin Crowe, Keith Emerson, Paul Daniels, Johan Cruyff and now Ronnie Corbett.
                                                  Though they don't seem to be any worse than other days on the whole:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaths_in_2016

Comment

Working...
                                                  X