X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Rise

Oh, this looks good!

A shame I won't be able to go.

Anyone seen this? Is it properly Ballardian and respectful of the original?

High Rise

It was the 1st Ballard novel I read in my teens, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Unfortunate that Tom H is playing the smoothie in Night Manager on tv at this very moment, but I think Wheatley is a really interesting director, so have high(rise) hopes.

In Curzon cinema last week they had a fold-out brochure advertising the film, which had sections on brutalist architecture, Ballard, the 70s etc each laid out like a floor of the building. Very nice, so I stuck it on my office door.

Comment

High Rise

Really really disappointed this was not about rubbish DJ's releasing rubbish singles based on rubbish jingles for their rubbish radio programmes.

Comment

High Rise

I thought Evans was very good actually. The whole thing is beautiful to look at, wonderful set design. Hiddleston, Moss and Irons all on good form. Brutal viewing, of course but beautifully crafted. I'm not sure why then i'm not raving about how wonderful it is and wanting to watch it again.

Comment

High Rise

Really really disappointed this was not about rubbish DJ's releasing rubbish singles based on rubbish jingles for their rubbish radio programmes.
          High Rise! High Rise!
          The neighbours are bangin' on the wall again

I do remember the song, as it was an era when I awoke to the Radio 1 breakfast show. And now I can't forget it/get it our of my head, damn IronSeaPower to hell!

Comment

High Rise

Do you remember the Peel version?
            I have it on tape somewhere...

John Peel, John Peel
            'ain't got no jingles cos he's too tight;
            John Peel, John Peel
            Moanin' on the radio, ev-er-y night

Comment

High Rise

Off to see it now.

Do not let me down here, otf.

Comment

High Rise

Christ.

What a pile of self-indulgent fucking shite.

1 1/2 stars.

Comment

High Rise

Saw it last night, based on an interesting trailer, liking Ballard (though not read this one), and decent reviews in the Graun/Torygraph.

The brutalist building and 70s props were the best thing about it. The acting ranged from poor to OTT, the humour was often lost, there was little sense of suspenseful dystopian breakdown, and no stand-out scenes to remember like in, say, Clockwork Orange. Very clunky adaptation.

Comment

High Rise

It was just like many of Ballard's novels - good premise, no plot, quarter-dimensional characters. Christ, it didn't half sledge-hammer you with its Commentary On Society. Filming a futuristic novel but locating it stylistically in the 70s was very, very clever, though. Very clever. I'm so fucking impressed, really I am.

And Jeremy Irons did that one expression he has very well.

Comment

Working...
                    X