I'm looking forward to watching...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Untamed Youth on TCM tonight. One of the great juvie delinquent flicks of the 50s, starring the indefatigable Mamie van Doren, there's even a song by Eddie Cochrane. I've seen clips before but never the movie in it's entirety. ...And God Created Woman precedes it (hopefully not the dubbed version) making an excellent double bill.

Well Untamed Youth didn’t disappoint. MvD wiggled and wobbled enthusiastically, the nasty rich bad guy had a chained pair of slavering Dobermans with him at all times, and Eddie Cochrane's song about picking cotton was really crap. The whole affair's peep-show sleazy of course, all the middle-aged male characters go bug-eyed as an Ed Roth cartoon as soon as one of the several teenage blondes appears. But the main plot-line regarding exploitation of underage “vagrants” and illegal immigrants as farm-workers still resonates, even if its portrayal is laughable. A couple of references lost me. During the mandatory cat-fight, one of the participants says she’s gonna give the other an “Italian haircut." Does that refer to the short boyish cut that Sophia Loren and others wore sometimes, or something else?

Comment

Working...
    X