Is there a Daredevil thread..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll ask the Q 1st, and add my tuppence if it already exists, or here if it disnae. I can't find one at the moment.

(I mean the Netflix tv series, btw)

Safe to proceed, then?

I was a big comics fan in my early teens. They coincided with a period when DC was childish and silly and Marvel was the bees knees. I loved The Hulk, but the one I collected fervently was Daredevil. I think I really went for the working class Irish origins, and I thought the deep red costume was cool, as were the shadowy alleyways he usually hung out in.

The Kingpin was a great villain, far more human and threatening than the latest radioactive-animal-themed baddie that Spiderman tended to fight back then. It also clearly toyed with being the darker, vigilante-themed, more sexually explicit (for a comic) book on the Marvel roster, so I grew up with it, and Frank Miller's runs on the comic I read and re-read.

I didn't mind the DD film with Affleck. It certainly reminded me of some of the things I liked about the comic. It was just as good as the early Spiderman movies, so I didn't see why it got so badly slammed.

But all sorts of people have badgered me to watch the Netflix series as it was so much closer to the spirit/more authentic etc etc

And it is good. The casting works- the guy playing Foggy is excellent, and basically it benefits hugely in narrative terms from the pacing and scope of a multi-episode series.
    There's been a fair bit of debate about the violence but my suspicion is they are laying it ion quite thick to set up big 'moral-doubt' issues for Matt Murdock for later on. I've seen 4 so far and heartily recommend, especially to comics fans (it may be a tad simplistic as social drama- it's not The Wire).

Comment

A bit further on now, and the yet-to-be-named Kingpin is proving the main draw. He carries out a spectacular act of violence and woos an art dealer with his knowledge of fine wines. Excellently played by Vincent D'Onofrio, albeit not as fat as in the comics.

Comment

The trailer for series 2 has just been released. It looks superb. Series 1 was great as was it's companion show, Jessica Jones.

Comment

Felicity, I guess so wrote: I'll ask the Q 1st, and add my tuppence if it already exists, or here if it disnae. I can't find one at the moment.

(I mean the Netflix tv series, btw)
          We briefly touched on it here, in its sister thread:
          http://www.wsc.co.uk/forum-index/30-film-tv/1133849-a-k-a-jessica-jones

Comment

Anyone watching s02?

I've seen four episodes so far and I'm finding the constant bloody ultra-violence and torture hard to take. It's been relentless, with brief time-outs for saccharine justification and cod-discussions on the moral justification of beating someone up really badly over killing them outright. There's really nothing else going on. Maybe some semblance of a plot will emerge eventually, but there's no sign of it yet. What the season lacks even more is a performance as strong as Vincent D'Onofrio's in s01. Electra's just shown up, maybe she'll add something substantial to the mix. If not I'm gone.

Comment

I really like it.

Although it is more visceral and "realistic" than any other superhero show, you still have to suspend belief and accept that a single punch will simply render the punchee briefly unconscious with no lasting damage. Almost all action movies rely on this trope.

Comment

I get that, but there's really nothing else going on but fighting. I might as well watch MMA (which I hate.) There's no depth to any of the characters, good or bad. The first series was fine, and Jessica Jones even better, but this... nah.

Comment

I have literally just watched episode 9. It is literally brilliant.

Comment

I've watched two and thought it was brilliant but maybe a bit too dark for me, and just before I woke up this morning I was in Hells Kitchen being harassed by lowlifes.

I fancy Daredevil, which is a complicating factor.

Comment

You have a thing for sightless masochists with costume issues?

Comment

Great first date question.

Comment

Ha. I don't think he's a masochist, he's pretty hard, but fair. And he rocks a scarf.

I've watched about 8 of them now, still find it a bit dark, but Daredevil is great and Vincent wossname is brilliant.

(I'm also enjoying the fact that I can understand the Russian and most of the Spanish. Not the Chinese, though. But I like the fact that they use subtitles and don't do the "heavily accented English" thing.)

I'm a bit worried about the cat Claire was sitting. I'm hoping a friendly neighbour found it and it was returned to its owner.

Comment

Working...
                          X