X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Hateful Eight

Good. But certainly not great.

The Hateful Eight

I saw the 70mm version yesterday. Easily kept my attention for 3+hrs. Beautiful cinematography just up the road in Telluride. Those who can't stand QT will not have to worry about changing their sentiments.

Comment

The Hateful Eight

Thinking of going to see it this week with the 2 for £10 tickets I got from TFA.

Comment

The Hateful Eight

Oh, I'd definitely recommend seeing it. It's good. But QT undoes greatness due to ... spoilers below...

[hide]It sets up like a Tarantinoesque whodunnit, which is kind of neat. And just when it starts unfolding in that direction, the guy in the basement (the brother) shows up and undoes the whole premise. Booooo. And then the entire "Earlier that same day" segment just blew it out of the water for me. It's not only unnecessary, it detracts from the overall story. It was a cheat in the same way that narrators often are.[/hide]

Comment

The Hateful Eight

Saw it tonight on the 70mm, Ultra Panavision, three hour plus "roadshow" print with overture and intermission. I'd thoroughly recommend seeing it in this format where possible. The sense of space in both the outdoor and indoor scenes is breathtaking.

I can't argue with much of the above, it's thoroughly enjoyable but then am a sucker for Tarantino's schtick. I'll happily listen to three hours of his dialogue being delivered especially when it's allied to the visuals presented here.

Agree that the flashback chapter knocks the momentum that has been ratcheting up through the film and Tarantino has to pull out a few really shocking moments afterwards trying to get it back.

Well worth getting along to and you'll be doing yourself and the film a disservice if you wait to see it on a small screen.

Comment

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino is such a dickhead though, and his auteurship means that his movies are really about him. If one can abide by Tarantino, that's great. I can't.

Tarantino exhibited the high levels of cuntitude when he accepted the Golden Globe for Best Score on behalf of Ennio Morricone. I can't quote the exact phrasing, but it amounted to "Ennio Morricone, the greatest composer who has ever lived -- including Mozart and all the other classical composer guys -- has never won an award in America. Well, he has won one now for a QUENTIN TARANTINO movie."

At an event where even the greatest moments of modesty serve only to feed egos, this was an excess of egomania.

And Tarantino made shit up. Morricone had won two Golden Globes in the past, and several Grammys for movie scores. He has won no Oscar, that is true, but did receive a lifetime achievement award without Tarantino's help.

And Tarantino doesn't even have the "oops..." excuse. After the award was announced, the voice over guy in the auditorium did the usual thing: "This is Ennio Morricone's 9th nomination and THIRD WIN."

The other two wins were for movies not made by Quentin Tarantino, the Bono of film.

Comment

The Hateful Eight

I agree completely with Ray there. The 70mm is beautiful and the soundtrack is great.

Comment

The Hateful Eight

Bored of Education wrote: Thinking of going to see it this week with the 2 for £10 tickets I got from TFA.
                I looked into going to see it in a cinema in Bristol last night but they wanted £16.05 for the privilege.

Comment

The Hateful Eight

I can't watch Tarantino's films any more. I got about halfway into Django Unchained and switched it off.

It never feels as if there's anything at stake in his movies. It's as if it's all just a bit of a laugh. If in doubt, blow a character's head off for often no apparent reason.

That's before we even get to his moronic and frankly tawdry obsession with having the N word used as many times as possible in each flick, or the fact that all his best set-pieces are direct lifts from Asian movies which 99.999999% of his Western audience will never have heard of, let alone seen.

This piece by Wingco is 16 years old but exactly mirrors how I feel about his stuff.

http://www.mr-agreeable.net/1999/11/11/pulp-fiction/

Comment

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino appeared in a Muppets straight to video project a few years ago, which is easily his best work.

He outlines a wildly inappropriate plot sequence to a visibly horrified Kermit.

Comment

The Hateful Eight

Patrick Thistle wrote: Tarantino appeared in a Muppets straight to video project a few years ago, which is easily his best work.

He outlines a wildly inappropriate plot sequence to a visibly horrified Kermit.
                      It's on YouTube.

Comment

The Hateful Eight

Ray de Galles wrote: Saw it tonight on the 70mm, Ultra Panavision, three hour plus "roadshow" print with overture and intermission. I'd thoroughly recommend seeing it in this format where possible. The sense of space in both the outdoor and indoor scenes is breathtaking.

I can't argue with much of the above, it's thoroughly enjoyable it but I am a sucker for Tarantino's schtick. I'll happily listen to three hours of his dialogue being delivered especially when it's allied to the visuals presented here.

Agree that the flashback chapter knocks the momentum that has been ratcheting up through the film and Tarantino has to pull out a few really shocking moments afterwards trying to get it back.

Well worth getting along to and you'll be doing yourself and the film a disservice if you wait to see it on a small screen.

Yes, all this. I would agree with Mark Kermide's view that it needs trimming, and, as much as Tarantino does write great dialogue, this could be a tighter and better film with half an hour taken off. No point looking for depth, but it's a fine visual experience and pretty enjoyable.

Comment

The Hateful Eight

As mentioned on the Revenant thread, I saw this AFTER that, and it really did neither me, nor QT, any favours.

Empty, self-indulgent, nowhere near as funny as he thinks it is. Why film a play in 70mm?!

Comment

The Hateful Eight

I presume (and I think Tarantino has said) that 70mm is used to best present the very wide frame and give a similar aspect to a stage play.

Comment

The Hateful Eight

Samuel L Jackson's face is better than any landscape.

Comment

The Hateful Eight

Good post G-Man. I think the only QT film I've enjoyed was the one with the muscle cars, Death Proof, but even then it was more about just a bit of entertainment. The best aspect of his films are the references to period flicks (Shaw Bros, Peckinpah etc) but his treatment of those elements is annoying.

Comment

The Hateful Eight

Think of his output what you will, but Kevin Smith is very good on this sort of thing. His idea is basically that you should make the kind of movie you want to make and, by default, please the audience that appreciates you. QT could make better movies, but then they'd be our interpretation of what a better QT would be. If it didn't have as much profanity and gore, it wouldn't be his movie.

QT fans love his stuff. Harvey Weinstein* loves his stuff. QT loves his stuff. He's only made 8 films, yet he's an absolute legend of his generation.

When you think about it, he has a license that many of us would kill to have. As long as he breaks even at the box office, he really only has to answer to himself.

[*My first company, Miramax, was the house that Quentin built, and my second company, The Weinstein Company, is the house that Quentin saved, he said, showing an uncharacteristic soft spot...]

Comment

The Hateful Eight

His films aren't amusing enough to work effectively as comedies and, with the sole exception of Reservoir Dogs, they aren't remotely dramatic/chilling enough to work as thrillers (I don't think I've ever once felt on edge or tense during a single Tarantino movie apart from the aforementioned R Dogs). They're just this mish-mash of meh, where plot twists feel thrown in at short notice for the sake of it and the dialogue is straining so hard for quotable status that it's painful.

Comment

The Hateful Eight

Exactly. They're a lot like Tarantino films.

Comment

The Hateful Eight

linus wrote: ....but even then it was more about just a bit of entertainment..
                                        It's Tarantino, for God's sake, he's onlyabout entertainment. Are you genuinely looking for depth in his films?

Comment

The Hateful Eight

He should never have chucked in that "what's in the briefcase" bollocks in Pulp Fiction. People have been looking for deeper meaning in his films ever since. Even Kill Bill.

Comment

The Hateful Eight

Just seen this. Absolutely loved it, and of all the great performances, Jennifer Jason Leigh is magnificent.

It has a couple of significant flaws, plot-wise, mind.

Comment

Working...
                                            X