Force Awakens Spoiler Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just putting this here so that those that have seen the film don't spoilt it for those that haven't

Leia is a man.

Comment

L-E-I-A Leia.

Comment

Does this mean this is the thread where I can breathlessly spill the beans at about 3pm on Thursday?

Comment

Yes.

Where did you see that. It is ace.

Actually, I should technically be calling into this thread until I have seen but I suppose I am alright until Thursday.

Comment

Oh, btw, Bored, I saw this

the other day and thought of you

Comment

Tear in the space-time continuum, there is.

Comment

I edited and thought you wouldn't see it so re-posted. It (the Millennium Falcon guitar) appeared on a FB page I saw. Good, isn't it?

Comment

Well ....

I loved it. Apart from one main thing. Supreme Leader Snoke looks shite.

It is good, though. And has a proper cliffhanger ending.

Comment

I really enjoyed it too. Harrison Ford was great, way better than the Crystal Skull nonsense could have led one to hope, and the two young leads were very engaging, although it took me longer to warm to Rey than Finn.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: Well ....

I loved it. Apart from one main thing. Supreme Leader Snoke looks shite.

It is good, though. And has a proper cliffhanger ending.
                      Literally, if the role played by a Kerry landmark is to be believed.

Comment

That's the one.

I want the next one to come out NOW.

Comment

Given this was a Star Wars film, I was actually marvelling at some of the little cinematic touches that helped develop the new characters in ways that didn't need tons of (or any) dialogue. Rey washing scavenged artefacts with the old woman. Finn getting the blood smeared on his stormtrooper armour. It was actually very, very clever - cinematically - in places. I presume we have Abrams to thank for that.

Comment

And now that this IS the official spoiler thread, when can we start discussing the major aspects of the plot?

Comment

Have to say I'm not getting all the love for it, sure it's better than the prequels, it was hard not to be, but it was basically a Star Wars tribute film, almost as if J.J. Abrams had a checklist of things from the original trilogy and just ticked them off one by one.

Hero(ine) is an orphan abandoned on a desert planet who discovers a droid with vital information for the Rebellion/Resistance - check

Fight on an ice planet - check

Death Star - check

Force using, lightsabre wielding bad guy - check

Disfigured Emperor/Supreme Leader - check

Short, wizened oracle creature who imparts wisdom on the apprentice Jedi - check

I could go on...

Comment

Father and son confrontation on a gantry - check

Comment

Benjm wrote: I really enjoyed it too. Harrison Ford was great, way better than the Crystal Skull nonsense could have led one to hope, and the two young leads were very engaging, although it took me longer to warm to Rey than Finn.
                                  I have to disagree, I thought Harrison Ford was phoning it in and I was quite happy when he bit the dust.

Considering he could hardly stand unaided, when he shot the stormtrooper, without looking, over his shoulder I just laughed out loud.

Someone in my cinema screening summed it up quite well for me when he said "It was alright. It was like a Marvel movie".

Comment

Right, we're on it.

SPOILER ALERTS oh I can't be arsed.

"Finn" being "FN 2187" - clever. Loved that bit.

What the FUCK was it with Supreme Leader Snoke being apparently 60 foot tall in his hologram?

He's not ACTUALLY going to be 60 foot tall, is he? Cos that would be shit.

Is Rey Luke's daughter? She's got to be Luke's daughter, hasn't she? That flashback sequence?

C3PO's wonky arm - simply thrown in for an in-joke? It doesn't get mentioned again.

Is Luke having a piss into the sea when Rey finds him at the end?

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: Right, we're on it.

SPOILER ALERTS oh I can't be arsed.

"Finn" being "FN 2187" - clever. Loved that bit.

What the FUCK was it with Supreme Leader Snoke being apparently 60 foot tall in his hologram?

He's not ACTUALLY going to be 60 foot tall, is he? Cos that would be shit.

Is Rey Luke's daughter? She's got to be Luke's daughter, hasn't she? That flashback sequence?

C3PO's wonky arm - simply thrown in for an in-joke? It doesn't get mentioned again.

Is Luke having a piss into the sea when Rey finds him at the end?
                                      Finn was quite good, although a bit too whooping "U. S. A" at points for my liking, would a trained Stormtrooper, someone trained to kill from a young age really get so excited about shooting a TIE fighter and whoop and holler like a cheerleader at a college football game?

Snoke was shit. Like a 60 foot Gollum. If he really is a 60 foot Gollum it will be really shit.

Yes, Rey must be related to Luke in some way. Her force powers were incredible, much greater than Luke's pre-training and a match for Kylo Ren when she channelled the Light Side of the force (which I thought was one of the best moments).

C-3PO's arm? Who knows? A hint at some interesting backstory? Just a bit of flimflam really but to create a depth to the world and the history of the characters I guess there needs to be a bit of this. See also Han and Leia hinting at things that had happened between this film and the event of RotJ.

Luke really didn't look happy to see Rey and was certainly in no hurry to take the lightsabre, maybe he was half way through a slash?

Comment

tratorello quoted someone else as saying

"It was alright. It was like a Marvel movie".
                                        Well, that's probably true, if you've never seen the original Star Wars trilogy as a child, in exactly the same way as someone coming now, to a Marvel movie, who had never read any of the comics from the 70s/80s, would feel.

I mean come on, watch those films without the background investment of reading the comics as a kid, and you just think to yourself "so, Iron Man. He's just an arrogant dick in a big flying suit". Actually, bad example. Iron Man IS just an arrogant dick in a big flying suit, even in the comics.

But there is some stuff in this film to appeal to the new fans, surely. Finn not understanding Wookie, even though everyone else can. Han wearily explaining there's always a way to blow up a Death Star. BB-8 is just fantastic.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: tratorello quoted someone else as saying

"It was alright. It was like a Marvel movie".
                                          Well, that's probably true, if you've never seen the original Star Wars trilogy as a child, in exactly the same way as someone coming now, to a Marvel movie, who had never read any of the comics from the 70s/80s, would feel.

I mean come on, watch those films without the background investment of reading the comics as a kid, and you just think to yourself "so, Iron Man. He's just an arrogant dick in a big flying suit".
                                          I'm not sure if you misunderstood me but I don't think he meant it as a compliment, to me it was more a kind of "that was okay, a bit of a spectacle but ultimately fairly empty storytelling and not especially satisfying".

Comment

Well, now we're on the spoiler thread,

SPOILER

A child being reunited with his long-estranged father, before killing him and chucking him off a bridge is hardly empty storytelling.

I was actually - I'm not joking - quite moved by that bit.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: Well, now we're on the spoiler thread,

SPOILER

A child being reunited with his long-estranged father, before killing him and chucking him off a bridge is hardly empty storytelling.

I was actually - I'm not joking - quite moved by that bit.
                                              It just seemed very obvious to me, I'd not heard or read any spoilers but in my head that was the only way that scene was going to pan out. Having said that it was a pretty good scene.

What wasn't a good scene was the one with those really shit generic CGI tentacle aliens. WTF was that all about?

Comment

I loved it - a proper, proper 'Star Wars' movie and there's little else you need to say. Yes, there is an element of cover version about it's rebooting but there's a lot more than that.

Rey and Kylo Ren are great, the former a very post 'Hunger Games' hero that I was really happy my 14 and 12 year old girls were seeing (my 8 year old son was basically trembling with excitement throughout). Finn is a more comic turn than I was expecting but was played really well by Boyega.

Can't see it again for a few weeks now, think I will try to get to a 70mm or IMAX 2D screening to really get the best visuals.

Comment

I quite liked the CGI tentacle ravenous aliens, myself. I thought it was just the right bit of comic horror that a kids' movie needed. Reminded me of the Sarlacc.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X