Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spotlight

**** (4/4)

One of the best movies I've seen in a long time. It's about the Boston Globe's Spotlight investigation team that fully uncovered the extent of the Catholic Church's coverup of molestation by priests.

The actors are all great, but Mark Ruffalo stood out to me. He has a number of great scenes with Stanley Tucci, who plays a lawyer who is the only one taking the claims from victims seriously.

It will get compared to All The Presidents Men, but to me Spotlight is a little more restrained than that movie, and doesn't really get into making its characters heroes. It isn't really stylistically notable, it's very matter-of-fact, but it still manages to be really compelling and suspenseful even though you know that the story is going to come out.

What I think also makes it notable is that it really portrays the pain and lasting impact that abuse had on its victims, without exploiting that pain for dramatic points.

It also operates as a story about Boston and its institutions of power and the people caught within them.
Working...
X