Steve Jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve Jobs

I literally can't even believe that they have had the bare-faced gall to make this film. Some twat was obviously thinking "Turing, Hawkings, erm, Jobs!" I expect Clive Sinclair to be the next or the bloke that did the wind-up radio or Dyson.

Steve Jobs

Fassbender is the third actor to play Steve Jobs on film (see also Ashton Kutcher and Noah Wyle).

Clive Sinclair has been played by Alexander Armstrong in the BBC's Micro Men.

I take it you haven't watched this film then?

Comment

Steve Jobs

No , fuck that. I don't watch a lot of films in the cinema anyway and, with Mad Max, Star Wars and Escape To Victory (don't ask), I have tripled my usual quota. I can't see that I will make time for a elongated PR promo film. To be fair, if a film comes out on Richard Branson or Alan Sugar, I will miss it as well.

Comment

Steve Jobs

It's hardly PR, seeing as various Apple luminaries have lined up to denounce it.

If it's not your thing, then fair enough.

Then again, The Social Network was a decent film and did well at the box office. And it hard to argue Mark Zuckerberg is a bigger figure than Steve Jobs.

Comment

Steve Jobs

The Social Network was definitely the better of the two films. Steve Jobs was a bit of a slog, which was trying way too hard with meaning and seriousness. It wasn't hagiography, and it wasn't actually bad. It was just underwhelming and I don't really see the point of it.

Comment

Steve Jobs

Good point, I wouldn't watch "The Social Network" either. Quite simply, I don't really have any interest in watching a film about businessmen and their businesses unless there is a larger interest.

In thinking about, was "The Player" effectively that? Perhaps there is a good way of doing it. However, I remember the deification of Jobs when he died and it was appalling for someone who made lots of money making excellent products.

Comment

Steve Jobs

I watched it last night. I liked it. Cast were superb, particularly Fassbender and Winslet, I enjoyed how it was broken down into 3 acts, and how it shifts from being filmed on 16mm to 35mm and then onto digital as we reach 1998. I thought it was pretty funny in places and it never crossed my mind once that this was a promo film for Apple or Jobs. It does show him to be particularly nasty, whether it be humiliating his staff or refusing to acknowledge his daughter, but Sorkin does also bring in a tinge of sympathy with little references to his own adoption and upbringing.

I'd like to see The Social Network again on the back of it - I think Fincher was initially going to direct Steve Jobs.
              Couple of people walked out after 30 minutes (what were you expecting?!) and some bloke nodded off and started snoring quite loudly. More fool them, if they can't handle 2 hours of walking & talking.

Comment

Steve Jobs

Couple of people walked out after 30 minutes (what were you expecting?!)
                This is why I think it is odd when people say "Have you seen it yet?" as I usually don't in order not to have to walk out of an expensive cinema. Having said that, I am surprised that anyone took that much offence at it. Was there anything in particular that was offensive or were they just bored.

The 'walking and talking' that you mention, along with Sorkin's involvement does make me wonder if it is a touch West Wing which does give it more reason to exist. Would I be right?

Comment

Steve Jobs

It's Sorkin's film. Almost every minute is spent indoors backstage with Jobs talking to his staff, Steve Wozniak, his ex and his daughter. There are few flashbacks, but it is very West Wing.

I guess they were bored and stupid.

Comment

Steve Jobs

The film has apparently bombed at the box office in the US.

Comment

Steve Jobs

That Clive Sinclair (and others) film, Micro Men is pretty good. But it was a film about businesses and businessmen, so maybe not Bored's cup of tea. It also involves a lot of talking, but also some soldering as it dates back to a time when running a briefly* successful computer company needed more than just being a visionary.

* - which isn't completely fair on Acorn, seeing as they spawned ARM.

Comment

Steve Jobs

Janik wrote: That Clive Sinclair (and others) film, Micro Men is pretty good.
                        "This is what my lifetime of achievement has been reduced to! Clive Sinclair, the man who brought you Jet Set fucking Willy!"

Comment

Steve Jobs

Micro Men was a damn sight better than the recent one about Rockstar Games, which was just godawful, despite them throwing quite a lot of money at the cast.

Comment

Steve Jobs

Jobs was the son of a Syrian refugee a fb meme tells me. Doesn't excuse iTunes, but still

Comment

Steve Jobs

Bored of Education wrote: ...the wind-up radio or Dyson.
                              Hand Job: The Trevor Baylis Story

Suck: My Life With James Dyson.

Comment

Steve Jobs

WOM wrote: Hand Job: The Trevor Baylis Story
                                I'd call it Trevor Baylis: Wind-Up Merchant

Comment

Steve Jobs

Handsome Bezel: The Life of Jonny Ive

Comment

Steve Jobs

Green Calx wrote: The film has apparently bombed at the box office in the US.
                                    yeah, i was a bit surprised to hear this. not because i think it's a good movie - i haven't seen it - but i thought a movie about america's greatest business titan by one of america's best-known screenwriters would do reasonably well. guess the producers made the same mistake. wonder are people tired of jobs, sorkin, or both?

Comment

Steve Jobs

Maybe they got wind of the fact that Jobs was a Syrian . . .

Comment

Steve Jobs

This Charmin Man: The Life and Times of Mr Whipple.

Comment

Steve Jobs

It is way too soon. The book has only been out a few years and he has only been dead a short while. Everyone remembers the story pretty well because it was pounded to death by every single part of the mainstream media.

I think they hugely misjudged people's ability to give a shit about a Steve Jobs movie.

Comment

Steve Jobs

garcia wrote:
                                            Originally posted by Green Calx
                                            The film has apparently bombed at the box office in the US.
                                            yeah, i was a bit surprised to hear this. not because i think it's a good movie - i haven't seen it - but i thought a movie about america's greatest business titan by one of america's best-known screenwriters would do reasonably well. guess the producers made the same mistake. wonder are people tired of jobs, sorkin, or both?
                                            There have been too many Jobs movies already. And it's not like there's a great hidden story that nobody knew about. And I think people assume there are more Apple Fanboys than their actually are. People like the product, but the obsession of the 90s fanboys hasn't extended to everyone who buys an iphone.

Also, even though it's unsurprisingly well written and directed, it's just a bit pointless, with a basically dislikeable main character. There's no reason for anyone to go and see it.

Comment

Steve Jobs

I didn't realise Danny Boyle was directing it.

Comment

Working...
                                              X