'2046'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'2046'

I watched Wong Kar Wai's '2046' for the first time, last night.

My god, what a beautiful film! (One could argue that it's also rather misogynistic, but...) On a purely visual and acting level, it's fantastic. It felt like every 'frame' could be made into a painting, it was that lush.

It was particularly welcome to see a piece of drama, whether on big screen or small, where the camera was as still as possible, framing each scene perfectly and not deviating from that - a refreshing change from the 'wobblycam' that dominates, these days.

After a while, the plot became of secondary concern to me: it was enough to luxuriate in the film itself. However, afterwards, I *was* left with a sense of "Hang on - what happened?", the answer to which is 'not much'.

I haven't seen many of Wong Kar Wai's films, but I'll have to watch more of them, on the basis of this. David Lynch may well end up being displaced as my favourite director, if all his films are of the same standard!

'2046'

They aren't alll quite up to that standard. However, In The Mood For Love & Chungking Express are, I think, better than 2046.

Comment

Working...
    X