Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Til Death Us Do Part

Warren Mitchell dead.
    Sad news indeed. Loved the series and indeed the films.
    I remember him saying that he used to get racist arses totally missing the point of Alf Garnett and congratulating him on his views.

'Til Death Us Do Part

A fine actor. I also enjoyed him in The Chain, the Jack Rosenthal drama about moving house.

We recently honoured Alf Garnett on the Crossword chain, where he was an answer, and then a clue.

Comment

'Til Death Us Do Part

RIP, indeed.

Very talented actor and a loyal Spurs fan, despite the apparent allegiance of his best-known character...

Comment

'Til Death Us Do Part

Speight's writing and Mitchell's acting are one of the very high water marks in British televisual comedy, satire and social commentary. Ridiculously clever.

Sad, but perhaps understandable (during the current era anyway) that we wont get a full repeat of these wonderfully crafted tv shows.

Comment

'Til Death Us Do Part

You're the sort of punter he was taking the piss out of.

Comment

'Til Death Us Do Part

you know bugger all and you don't even know it, jog on

Comment

'Til Death Us Do Part

I know you're a cunt.
              Everyone knows that.

Comment

'Til Death Us Do Part

you charmer you

Comment

'Til Death Us Do Part

I agree with both Luke's initial and Calvert's subsequent posts.

Brilliant show, brilliant performance. I'd also mention Mitchell's turn in the Hancock episode The Poetry Society, which has a good claim for being amongst the best thirty minutes of anything ever.

Comment

'Til Death Us Do Part

I saw him on stage in Art. Along with John Fortune and Ken Campbell. They're all dead now...

Comment

'Til Death Us Do Part

Mitchell was similar to Harry H Corbett in that both had reputations for being brilliant dramatic actors as young men, then found populist fame in sitcoms about which they had mixed feelings. Whilst I'm sure they appreciated the money and relative security that their tv work brought, both intimated on occasions that they had sold themselves a little short.

Anyway, RIP.

Comment

'Til Death Us Do Part

I listened to his DID appearance from 1999 a few months back. Very entertaining.

He was from an Orthodox Jewish background, iirc. This meant that going to White Hart Lane on a Saturday afternoon was Sabbath breaking, something that his dad would attempt to wriggle out of as he tried to explain to his curious son.

Also has an interesting anecdote about his wartime service alongside Richard Burton.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00941sh

Comment

Working...
                        X