No announcement yet.

Colin Welland has died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As stated above, the safe objection to Waring is that he was a shit commentator whom the BBC stuck with because it had contempt for the audience. Welland was throwing stones in a glass house by accusing Waring of being a professional northerner.

OTOH Waring's reaction to the Don Fox miss was sincere, passionate and empathetic and I'm not sure anyone could have done that better.

Waring on It's A Knockout is another matter, not just because that brand is now irrevocably paedo tarnished but because it was end of the pier stuff not befitting a sports commentator.

Comment

Sorry for being a bit dim, but what's the main point we're supposed to draw from that Eddie Waring at Everton footage?

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
        Sorry for being a bit dim, but what's the main point we're supposed to draw from that Eddie Waring at Everton footage?
        Nothinģ. Maybe the obscurity of the Everton coach.

Comment

Ah, that's a relief. From the way you'd posted the clip together with the "why did he hate Eddie Waring?" quote from JW, I was trying to find something in the Everton clip that would shed light on Colin W's dislike of Waring. Like, I dunno, the interview being so lame that Welland would have been incensed about the lack of more probing questions from Waring to the Everton big cheese maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
            Ah, that's a relief. From the way you'd posted the clip together with the "why did he hate Eddie Waring?" quote from JW, I was trying to find something in the Everton clip that would shed light on Colin W's dislike of Waring. Like, I dunno, the interview being so lame that Welland would have been incensed about the lack of more probing questions from Waring to the Everton big cheese maybe.
            I would personally go for Welland’s dislike of Waring’s ‘professional northerner’ schtick (and I call it that in the belief that Waring really played up to it) as being the source of his disdain. As a young man I - and many like me - were ultra sensitive to north-south divide issues and Waring was treated with broad scorn as the cartoon ‘by ‘eck’ figure so easy for the RP Home Counties types to point at as a figure of typical northern stupidity. In truth I’m only marginally less sensitive about this stuff now.

Comment

Put me down as another who saw this thread and thought "Oh, he has died, what a shame" and then on reading it discovering that Welland has been dead for years and I wasn't aware.

Comment

Working...
              X