Cartel Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cartel Land

Is there a thread for this? I done a search.

Documentary about Mexican drug cartels and vigilante responses, viewed in parallel with American vigilante militias on the Arizona border. Watched it this evening, pretty gripping. Spoiler: the Mexican vigilantes morph into a cartel.

Cartel Land

I saw it in a cinema a few weeks ago with the wife. It was watchable but a lot of it seemed overly stagey. That Minuteman guy came across as the saddest of sad bastards.

Comment

Cartel Land

I know what you mean about stagey, but I thought that was part of what was remarkable about it. The shit was actually going down on camera, and Dr. Mireles might as well have been a star actor. also not sure how/why they let them have a camera in many of those scenes.

Agree about the Arizona minuteman, but was more interested in the phenomenon itself, that lawless environments breed that sort of thing. From what I understand, the film started out as a "look at these crazy American militia types" documentary, and got diverted into "look at these actually not very crazy militia types in Mexico, who have no police protection from the cartel." I thought it was fascinating.

Comment

Working...
      X