Black Mass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Mass

Johnny Depp's 'return to form' has him playing James 'Whitey' Bulger, a second-division Boston hood who does a deal with the FBI to stitch up the Italians; in the meantime, making himself the most powerful gangster in Boston.

It's not a bad film; then again, I can't help thinking it's nothing more than competently done. The performances are good, as are the period details. Joel Edgerton's compromised FBI agent is probably the most interesting character.

But it's not particularly exciting, nor particularly characterful. I don't think you'll regret seeing it, but I can't particularly recommend it either.

Black Mass

Saw this last Friday.

Starts of well but sort of fizzles out in the last 30 mins. Having said that, its worth a watch for Johnny Depps scarily good performance...

Comment

Black Mass

Depp's good, even if it's one of those playing-against-type, physically transformative kind of roles that sometimes win you Oscars.

I just question the character development (or lack thereof). At the beginning he's a bit of a psychopath and by the end he's a complete psychopath. But there's no attempt to go into his backstory; namely how he turned out to become the exact opposite of his brother.

It's certainly not Goodfellas. I'm not even sure it's American Gangster.

Comment

Black Mass

yeah, what they said, more or less

blue-eyed Depp's face doesn't quite fit though 5/10

Comment

Working...
        X