NYPD Blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NYPD Blue

I watched this show from time to time when it originally aired. Now it is re-airing on DirecTV's Audience Network. I started watching it around the time Jimmy Smits had about a year left on the show through the end. Now the channel has looped back to the first season. Normally watching from beginning to end (esp. a show that ran for a long time--12 or 13 seasons I think) it's hard to get some sense of the changes in quality unless there is a dramatic dropoff. But having looped from the end to the beginning, I can say that there is noticeable shift from a focus on an entire police squad to a focus on just one unit and the quality of the stories certainly dipped. They packed a lot of really interesting stuff into an hour during this first season but by the time it gets later, there seems to be a bit more soap opera stuff happening with repetition of storylines. I don't know what happened to the writers who started the show but they were certainly doing really good work up front.

NYPD Blue

Commercial demands by the network combined with fear of being too "edgy", as I remember it.

It started out as a genuinely fresh approach to the genre, but lost its mojo quickly.

That said, Franz/Sipowicz was a great character, especially in the earlier years.

Comment

NYPD Blue

They are 5 episodes into season 1 (airing 1 each night) and it really is good stuff. Perhaps I realize this more now because so much on network TV in the US is crap.

Franz/Sipowicz retains a nice edge throughout but his character suffered from the same repetition as everyone else later on (hothead, persecuted by higher ups, shows he's a caring cop, repeat). But early on he's more three dimensional. I know that the loss of Carusoe was a big deal after 1(?) season. I haven't followed him much but he's really good in this.

Comment

NYPD Blue

In NYPD Blue he didn't take his sunglasses off and on, and didn't growl zippy one-liners. He was really good and very likable. On CSI he turned into a self-parody.

Comment

NYPD Blue

Or do that head to one side thing.

NYPD Blue was great. One of my favourite TV shows of all time.

Comment

NYPD Blue

G-Man wrote: In NYPD Blue he didn't take his sunglasses off and on, and didn't growl zippy one-liners. He was really good and very likable. On CSI her turned into as self-parody.
            You could say CSI was one big self-parody.

Comment

NYPD Blue

Vulgarian Visigoth wrote:
              Originally posted by G-Man
              In NYPD Blue he didn't take his sunglasses off and on, and didn't growl zippy one-liners. He was really good and very likable. On CSI her turned into as self-parody.
              You could say CSI was one big self-parody.
              I think this is all boils down to the writing. Everything is written for shots that can be single serve items: 30 seconds here on to the next, 30 more seconds and on to the next, etc. It's as if the Simpsons approach to making a TV show needs to be adopted by every other show. I like the Simpsons but it's a simplistic form relative to fleshing out an idea, character, theme.

Comment

Working...
              X