Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Akira

EDIT: Removed
    Last edited by Your Usual Table; 02-11-2021, 14:08.

Akira

Hugh Fatbastard dragged a couple of us to the theatre to see Akira around '90. As I recall, it was 36 hours long and nothing happened. I'd never wanted out of somewhere so badly in my life.

Comment

Akira

I taped it off Channel 4 years ago and watched it. All I remember about it is that Akira gets chased into a big Olympic stadium at some point.

Comment

Akira

I remember somebody gets squished to death inside a big blobby monster and that it really put me off whatever I was eating at the time.

Comment

Akira

I've never been sure whether the best way to watch it is:

a) actually try to follow the plot and end up with a migraine from over-thinking or

b) let it wash over me and just admire the skill of the animators.

Comment

Akira

(This is where I steer a thread off-topic again...)

Strangely, I think it's about the right time for a live action remake of 'Ghost In The Shell', complete with beautiful meandering panoramic cityscapes.

Comment

Akira

I've learned some movies depend on the who-what-when-where-why of where-when-how-why you see them.

Akira on a 4-head VCR in 1989 was great as great could be.

Comment

Akira

I've seen it a couple of times. A slog with many good bits in it, but a slog nonetheless. There's a certain ambition to it which is admirable, and full of detail, but, like a few features around, it requires the viewer to be in a certain mood to get through the thing.

Comment

Akira

The opening sequence I can watch every day, the rest every ten years....

Comment

Akira

Bits I remember, having watched it on Channel 4 back in the day:

A realistic-looking animated CD spinning around in a machine.

The little girl getting squished to death as mentioned above. I was appalled by that. She is struggling and choking and you think she will obviously get away and than splatch! She's goo.

That's it.

Comment

Akira

Strangely, I think it's about the right time for a live action remake of 'Ghost In The Shell', complete with beautiful meandering panoramic cityscapes.
                      They're doing this, with ScarJo as the Major. I can't see it being better than the original (or the TV series)e.

Comment

Akira

James Cameron was rumored to be making a live action Akira film some years ago but it never came to pass. He ended up doing Avatar instead (he's currently working on the sequel).

Comment

Akira 4K re-release, and update on the live-action movie...for those with the patience to, etc....

https://io9.gizmodo.com/akira-is-get...ime-1836127694

Comment

The more exciting news is that they're going to faithfully adapt the manga in a new series.

Comment

Working...
                            X