Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the doghouse

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7569064.stm

Anyone else catch this documentary last night. My wife sat down to watch it and I wandered in, went "Aaah, little doggies, I wuv them!" and watched as well. By the end I was about ready to bomb the Kennel Club and the morons that run it.

I knew that pedigree breeds had problems due to inbreeding (mother's Westie has arthritis for one), but I didn't know how bad it had got. Bulldogs are such mutants that they can't have sex or give birth unassisted anymore. And the the morphing shot of the bulldog's skull from the square, even look of the Victorian era mutating into the underslung jawed object of today was just nuts.

The differences between the 1946 Basset Hound and the one today were astounding as well, with the head of the breeders' club essentially saying if he accidentally bred a dog that looked like the 1946 cersion, he'd probably shoot it to make sure it couldn't breed (reading between the lines).

And the stuff about Rhodesian Ridgebacks! The ridge is essentially a deformity and can cause holes through the skin directly into the spine, but until recently the breeders culled any non-ridged puppies for not looking right was just batshit insane.

And that pug looked very discontented with its lot, I must say. Mind you, when all 10,000 of you and your breed in the UK are one of only 50 different DNA types and half your soft palate is crushed into your throat because you look sweeter with a squished nose, you can afford to be pissed off as you struggle to breathe.

In the doghouse

I watched it. The pug who won Crufts was so squashed-looking that it resembled a canine version of Eric Cartman.

The footage of the poor spaniel thrashing around in cranial agony was very upsetting.

Mongrels are the way to go. They are more content with their lot, less likely to act the maggot, and they live longer too.

Anyone looking for a pet dog should forget about pedigree breeds, and instead do some good by visiting the nearest dogs' home and getting one there.

Comment

In the doghouse

foxhounds that can't hunt, get put down pretty quickly to prevent them from breeding. That is a very common thing to happen in pedigree breeding of any kind. However that is when you are breeding for a particular purpose, i.e. producing more milk, greater weight gain in cattle.

That stuff that they did to the fucking alsatian is unbelievable. Who fucking thinks that a dog should slope like that. The fucking thing wobbles like a granny with palsy.

Comment

In the doghouse

The footage of the poor spaniel thrashing around in cranial agony was very upsetting.
        I switched it on in the middle of this bit, stared, slack-jawed at the screen for about five seconds, and switched it off again. That was about as much as I needed to see.

Why anyone that wants a dog wouldn't want a mutt is beyond me.

Comment

In the doghouse

I wonder how smoothly Crufts 2009 will go - or will all this have blown over by next March?

Comment

In the doghouse

200, I'd watch the rest of it, because obviously that was the "shock" hook to get people in.

The animal rights nutter wing will be lining up new targets, I shouldn't wonder.

Comment

In the doghouse

I also saw an interview with the chairman of The Kennel Club, in which he blustered something along the lines of, "Mehhh, those damn scientists don't know what they're talking about". The BBC should withdraw their coverage of Crufts and switch it to that other one instead ("Scruffs"?).

Comment

Working...
              X