Big/Small Screen Annoyances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know, probably been done before, but that won't stop me.

You're watching a scene between two characters talking. But what's that? The scene is moving. No, they're on a revolving stage. No, really, it's the camera just moving around them slowly because a scene between two people needs to have a camera slowly turning around them in case viewers think that a scene between two people talking would make them turn over to another channel. I've felt like that. I've sat in a cafe and seen two people talking and immediately circled around them very slowly just to make the conversation more interesting. Directors, don't be scared to make the camera still as fuck during a conversation scene. Write it well, act it well, we'll stay with you.

Murray Gold. I curse the day the BBC Radiophonic Workshop was disbanded.

'Brand' end titles on ITV. The faceless zombiefication of life continues.

Helpline numbers at the end of soaps. You don't need a bunch of jobbing actors on shitty, hollow, mundane soaps to tell you how awful life is for you. Fuck them, pick up that phone and get the help and assistance you need and deserve now.

DOGs - digital on-screen graphics.

I know what channel I'm watching - even if I don't, I can just press INFO and it'll tell me.

I know what program will be on next - that's what the EPG is for, I can see what's on for the next week FFS.

Comment

ian.64 wrote: You're watching a scene between two characters talking. But what's that? The scene is moving. No, they're on a revolving stage. No, really …
      Exploitation-film director Doris Wishman (best known for Deadly Weapons and Double Agent 73) used to save money by not recording sound directly, and dubbing it on later.

During two-way conversations, the camera would often fix on the person being spoken to. At other times, the camera would concentrate on random objects in the room. Or people's shoes. She was one of those directors whose film are instantly recognisable.

Comment

Three Times A Reddy wrote: DOGs - digital on-screen graphics.

I know what channel I'm watching - even if I don't, I can just press INFO and it'll tell me.

I know what program will be on next - that's what the EPG is for, I can see what's on for the next week FFS.
        I don't usually mind the permanent idents, though I wish they weren't there. But the US style up-next banners which can take up a quarter of the screen with flashy effects are incredibly obnoxious.

Comment

She was one of those directors whose film are instantly recognisable.

I think it's fair to say that there were certain other things in her films that pretty much stimulated some form of recognition.

The DOGs are annoying but so are the intrusive 'next' captions that spring up minutes before a show ends. Yes, there's another programme coming along. Thanks. Anything else? Put the cat out? Lock all doors and windows?

Comment

The worst DOGs are the deliberately intrusive ones. Characters from the next show up walking on the bottom of the screen, having a hilarious interaction with the advert for their show, then walk off.

Somehow it is ten times more annoying with real people than animated characters.

Comment

caja-dglh wrote: The worst DOGs are the deliberately intrusive ones. Characters from the next show up walking on the bottom of the screen, having a hilarious interaction with the advert for their show, then walk off.

Somehow it is ten times more annoying with real people than animated characters.
              There was a James Bond film on once, with Sean Connery having dinner with someone. Out of nowhere, a football came dropping into the screen, bounced on Sean's head a couple of times, and disappeared again. Weirdest Europa League commercial I've ever seen.

Comment

caja-dglh wrote: The worst DOGs are the deliberately intrusive ones. Characters from the next show up walking on the bottom of the screen, having a hilarious interaction with the advert for their show, then walk off.

I find it worst of all when it's someone doing something comic in an ident at the bottom of the screen while you're watching a serious dramatic moment (as much as you get one on TV).

Although the weirdest experience I've had with it recently was during some reality show where the subsequent show was just a discussion of the reality show just been. A show clearly subservient and dependent on the reality show. And yet the subsidiary show's ident was so intrusive that it actually obscured some genuine content. Now, I'm not going to throw a hissy fit about reality TV being destroyed, but it was just a really weird way of destroying your own show.

Comment

Working...
                X