Help required with TV show title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the 1980s, there was a series on the BBC where they got contemporary music video directors to make videos for older songs that never had them in their day. I want to find out if any of it exists on youtube but I have no idea what it was called. Does anyone else remember it, and ideally the title?

The Golden Oldie Picture Show.

Hosted by the Hairy Cornflake himself. It's mostly shite.

Comment

Yes! Thanks.

Although to be fair, most 80s videos for bands who'd actually commissioned them weren't much better.

In the Summertime looks like a Benny Hill sketch.

Comment

I remember that show.
        They took the rather lovely Walker Bros. weepie The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore and 'put their contemporary slant' on it, according to the Hairy Cuntflake, meaning the video they put to the song was about a post-nuclear holocaust world.
        It must've reflected the paranoia of the times, or something.

Comment

Apart from the cheapness of it, it was the absurdly literal interpretations of songs that got my goat.

I swear the video for Strawberry Fields Forever was three minutes of people in a field picking strawberries.

Comment

Yes, I vaguely remember that show. Perhaps my seemingly successful attempts to push it out of my mind may explain why they're vague.

Comment

I remember them trying to do Whiter Shade of Pale but, because they were such literalists, DLT spent ages telling us how difficult it was to make a video for the song that just wasn't a white screen.

Comment

To be honest, there's an idea there to put a differently interpreted spin on videos for music tracks, even in a comic vein, but The Golden Oldie Picture Show displayed a gormless approach to it and, if I remember, you couldn't really visually realise the essence of a song on a budget of £15 and a Twix.

Comment

Not having the group or singer available is quite a handicap in a pop video. The obvious ways around it are to use experimental camerawork or animation. This however requires skill and a decent budget.

The video for the 80s reissue of Reet Petite is the obvious example. Or even the California Raisins.

Comment

By that token, if Peter Gabriel kept his face out of it, Sledgehammer might have worked out similarly, too.

Comment

Our mam and dad really liked that programme, but I seem to remember the videoclip for 'Ha Ha Said The Clown' being particularly creepy.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: Not having the group or singer available is quite a handicap in a pop video. The obvious ways around it are to use experimental camerawork or animation. This however requires skill and a decent budget.

The video for the 80s reissue of Reet Petite is the obvious example. Or even the California Raisins.
                        Or the Under Pressure route of stock footage and clips from silent films.

Comment

Three Times A Reddy wrote: Or the Under Pressure route of stock footage and clips from silent films.
                          Didn't the Old Grey Whistle Test used to do that? I have dim memories of music played to clips of Felix the Cat and suchlike.

Comment

san2sboro wrote: Our mam and dad really liked that programme, but I seem to remember the videoclip for 'Ha Ha Said The Clown' being particularly creepy.
                            That rings a bell. I remember, probably disproportionately, a lot of the videos being very downbeat takes on upbeat songs. I think there was one for something similar to Like A Rubber Ball that was about someone dying in a car crash?

Comment

san2sboro wrote: Our mam and dad really liked that programme, but I seem to remember the videoclip for 'Ha Ha Said The Clown' being particularly creepy.
                              If memory serves, every time Mike D'Abo sang 'Ha Ha Said the Clown,' a clown would appear, manically laughing. It was all a bit too allegorical for me.

Comment

San Bernardhinault wrote: I remember them trying to do Whiter Shade of Pale but, because they were such literalists, DLT spent ages telling us how difficult it was to make a video for the song that just wasn't a white screen.
                                So that's where they got the audio editor for Homes Under The Hammer from, then.

Comment

Didn't the Old Grey Whistle Test used to do that? I have dim memories of music played to clips of Felix the Cat and suchlike.
                                  Yes, the researchers at Filmfinders were kept pretty busy by OGWT. Some of the old footage was somewhat disturbing - and even more so when applied to Foghat, or whomsoever.

Comment

Ohmigod, I've just remembered the wife of the clown!

Comment

Those old film clips were often the highlight of The Old Grey.

Comment

It's the single worst TV show of all time, and as such, it's riveting. I've only ever managed to get hold of a couple of episodes - even vintage TV collectors have standards - but my God...

Comment

Stuck in the Middle With You is about a wrestling referee. Brilliant!

Comment

Didn't Travis introduce this show wearing a cardigan while sitting in a mock-up of what we were supposed to think was his cosy front room or was that a nightmare I once had?

Comment

Not sure if he always sported a cardigan, but the rest of your recollection is correct.

Comment

Three Times A Reddy wrote:
                                                Originally posted by San Bernardhinault
                                                I remember them trying to do Whiter Shade of Pale but, because they were such literalists, DLT spent ages telling us how difficult it was to make a video for the song that just wasn't a white screen.
                                                So that's where they got the audio editor for Homes Under The Hammer from, then.
                                                Ha! I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets enraged at the crappy musical interludes in HUTH. Infuriating.

Comment

Ha ha! Big Ron from Eastenders is in that Stealers Wheel one.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X