Car crash television

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car crash television

TG4 has a long tradition of quirky dating shows - one saw mothers picking partners for their offspring, while another had lads buying clothes to impress the ladies. But the latest, Pioc do Ride (pun intended) just took the cringe factor to a whole new level - here, the date has to choose between three drivers, but the winner can either choose a date or a €250 car service voucher. The inevitable happened.

Car crash television

I've worked on a couple of things for TG4. Nice Folks.

On a massive tangent, I noticed a magazine for young women in a garage in Letterkenny with one of the cover features asking 'When did YOU last get the ride?'

I was so stunned I nearly forgot to laugh my arse off, but I recovered sufficiently to point it out to Mrs. Calvert. I think the shop assistants must've thought we were high.
    It's even funnier when you repeat it in a Free State accent.

Fucking hell, Ireland has changed.
    Dev must be spinning in his grave. You couldn't but a jazz mag or contraceptives in the Republic a couple of decades ago.

Sorry. Had to share that.
    As you were.

Comment

Car crash television

Calvert wrote: Ireland … you couldn't buy a jazz mag
      Not even … ?

Comment

Car crash television

the winner can either choose a date or a €250 car service voucher. The inevitable happened.
        I saw a show on Spanish tv last week where a woman has to choose between two men, on a desert island. they spend the whole show naked. It's called 'Adam & Eve'.

She turned both down, which was a hoot.

Comment

Car crash television

Diable Rouge wrote: TG4 has a long tradition of quirky dating shows - one saw mothers picking partners for their offspring, while another had lads buying clothes to impress the ladies. But the latest, Pioc do Ride (pun intended) just took the cringe factor to a whole new level - here, the date has to choose between three drivers, but the winner can either choose a date or a €250 car service voucher. The inevitable happened.
          What rational person wouldn't take the voucher over a date, unless it's a date with the person of your dreams? I would obviously take a night out with David Bowie over a £200 drycleaning voucher, anyone else, probably not.

Comment

Car crash television

I thought this was going to be a Noel Edmonds thread.

Comment

Car crash television

I'm not sure I understand what a "€250 car service voucher" is--is it a voucher for a car supplies store, or a cleaning service, or something else?

If it was for an auto supplies store, I think I'd take the date. I mean, I could buy stuff that I know that I *should* get for my car, but there's a lot of stuff that I'd rather do than fancy up my car myself.

Comment

Car crash television

Yes, auto supplies, the show is sponsored by a company called Advanced Pitstop.

Comment

Car crash television

satchmo76 wrote: I thought this was going to be a Noel Edmonds thread.
                  Beat me to it. Primetime television on Saturday evenings in 1983:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeQs2fpU1eI

Astonishing. The embarrased laughter at John Peel's "JESUS CHRIST!" is weird.

Comment

Car crash television

Giggler wrote:
                    Originally posted by satchmo76

Astonishing. The embarrased laughter at John Peel's "JESUS CHRIST!" is weird.
                    Was that before or after thanks to a litany of failures the production team on that show killed Michael Lush?

Before.

However the driver in that stunt - Richard Smith - suffered neck, head, and back injuries and fractured his pelvis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Late,_Late_Breakfast_Show#Accidents

Comment

Car crash television

Giggler wrote:

Astonishing. The embarrased laughter at John Peel's "JESUS
                      CHRIST!" is weird.
                      Among the many reasons to regret Peel only getting up to 1965 when he was writing his autobiography is the fact we never got to read his telling of this event. I'm pretty sure that he's the bloke in the black leather jacket who runs onto the track to avoid being crushed as the first car flips toward him.

Comment

Car crash television

kokamoa wrote:
                        Originally posted by Giggler

Astonishing. The embarrased laughter at John Peel's "JESUS
                        CHRIST!" is weird.
                        Among the many reasons to regret Peel only getting up to 1965 when he was writing his autobiography is the fact we never got to read his telling of this event. I'm pretty sure that he's the bloke in the black leather jacket who runs onto the track to avoid being crushed as the first car flips toward him.
                        I'd like to know how he had the confidence to say "Nobody's hurt" microseconds after a car had ploughed into a crowd of people.

Comment

Working...
                        X