RIP Brian Sewell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Brian Sewell

So farewell to the irascible old so and so, gone off to give God some pointed, withering criticisms on his art and architectural taste.

He was obviously best known for being an uber-posh contrarian, but his TV series were excellent. He did a cracking show for Channel 5 before his ‘Grand Tour’ one when he went around the UK’s lesser-known architectural gems. In particular he visited St Vincent Street Church in Glasgow, a place I passed all the time but never gave it a thought. It had never occurred to me that inside and outside, it was one of the greatest churches in the world- according to Brian.

Underneath the arch contrariness, you always learned something from his programmes and he would never confront you with platitudes concerning the ‘great works of art and architecture’. I remember him being scathing of the Sacre Coeur in Paris in particular. I'm sure he would be appalled at having his RIP thread in Film & TV.

RIP Brian Sewell

Nice words.

RIP.

Comment

RIP Brian Sewell

I hope wingco's got his pen out.

Comment

RIP Brian Sewell

A suitably contrary forum to host it in then Geoffrey, nice words indeed. He was always entertaining in his own completely serious, distinctively man-out-of-his-time way. RIP.

Comment

RIP Brian Sewell

RIP, indeed. He was one of this country's more palatable curmudgeons. And he was usually right.

(Edit: Perhaps appropriately, he gets my 7,000th post...)

Comment

RIP Brian Sewell

A lot of love for him even from people deep into modern art.

Comment

RIP Brian Sewell

Big fan of Stock Car Racing!

Comment

RIP Brian Sewell

Hard to improve on that opening post GdSC, nicely done.

In our household there was only ever one way to say "Sewell": in weak imitation of the curmudgeon himself.

Comment

RIP Brian Sewell

Jackie Collins has joined him in the Elevator to Heaven. They'll have a lot to talk about.

Comment

RIP Brian Sewell

I suppose you can all guess which death the BBC is reporting.

Comment

RIP Brian Sewell

She was on The One Show last week, looked thin, didn't think too much of it at the time. She was selling her new book I think. I can't imagine Collins & Sewell sat on a bench outside the pearly gates would have much in common to talk about, their meeting might be a momentarily interesting moment though.

In hindsight it's probably fair to say she was a bit of a trooper. RIP.

Comment

RIP Brian Sewell

Speccie's Sewell obit

Comment

Working...
                        X