Cradle to Grave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cradle to Grave

Just finished watching the first episode on catch-up, can't remember laughing so much for the first episode of sitcom ever before. Like most, I like Danny Baker and thought this would be worth watching, but I never expected the pace of that half-hour, the trust on the viewer to work out big gaps and jumps in timelines, and I never expected Peter Kaye to be so funny as a cockney.

The only fear I have is that rest of the series cannot live up to the opening episode, but I hope it does. Too many great moments to mention, but I fear for spoilers, but I could hardly breathe for laughing during the tortoise scene.

Cradle to Grave

I wanted to like it, but just couldn't get past Kay's accent, which was all over the place. Literally.

Comment

Cradle to Grave

It veered into Australian quite frequently, but overall I thought Kaye was excellent. It wasn't love a first sight, but by the end of the episode, his was the stand out performance.

Comment

Cradle to Grave

What I liked about it was how they packed so much into 30 minutes, the wheeler-dealing, the early sexual adventures, the theatre trip, the tonic trousers, the tortoise, the TV rental man, the death of Danny's friend. Any one or two of those could have spun out into an entire show in other hands. Plenty of material from the book still to come as well. Hope they cover the time Danny spent a small fortune on an early VCR the size of a small wardrobe which he had to lug across London on his own.

Comment

Cradle to Grave

Peter Kay's accent had me wondering whether Mickey Flanagan has ever considered acting.

Comment

Cradle to Grave

I took Kay's accent to be a deliberate comedy Sarf Lahndahn fing. That is, I found it enjoyably ridiculous.

Comment

Cradle to Grave

Sorry steveeeeeeeee, you lost me at 'Peter Kay'.

Comment

Cradle to Grave

Looks like I got his name wrong, sorry all.

Comment

Cradle to Grave

I'm still enjoying it overall, but felt the second episode was weaker than the first. It concentrated too much on the parents, and started to seem just slightly cosy. Still good moments though.

Comment

Cradle to Grave

As is sometimes the case, the parents are more rounded characters and as a result tend to be more interesting and have more comedy value.
                    I was in the camp of doubting the choice of Kaye as the father until this episode, but seeing his performance at the shopkeepersball and in the caravan I now consider it an inspired choice.

Comment

Cradle to Grave

wittoner wrote: Hope they cover the time Danny spent a small fortune on an early VCR the size of a small wardrobe which he had to lug across London on his own.
                      Not quite faithful to the book....

Comment

Cradle to Grave

Walt Flanagans Dog wrote:
                        Originally posted by wittoner
                        Hope they cover the time Danny spent a small fortune on an early VCR the size of a small wardrobe which he had to lug across London on his own.
                        Not quite faithful to the book....
                        No it wasn't, but is that important?

I mean, there is no proof that the story in the book about him obtaining the VCR (from some posh rich bloke, can't remember the detail) who he simply never got round to paying back) is true, so as long as the story is interesting, it makes for an entertaining tv programme, which is what they are trying to make here rather than a 100% straight down the line exact remake of his life.

I'm 2/3s of the way through the book and I don't recall him getting 100s of people writing to him requesting that he taped them some albums either, but that doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the show.

I am wondering how they will cover his years at OneStop Records (I think that's what it is called) where many stories of famous people dropping by are included in his book.

Comment

Cradle to Grave

I need to catch up with this; haven't watched it yet.

Would be good if they recreated the episode in One Stop when [the then unknown] Queen turn up.

Comment

Working...
                          X