Trainwreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trainwreck

Amy Schumer's feature is set up as a anti-romantic comedy — as a child, her character Amy is indoctrinated by her philandering father that monogamy is unrealistic and spends her life getting drunk and having no-strings sex with mostly unintelligent men.

At which point she starts to fall for a sports doctor who she's writing a feature about.

Despite its relatively subversive beginning, by the end, the film falls into standard romantic comedy tropes. And at 122 mins, it's just too long.

But Schumer is just very funny and carries the whole film. Perhaps the biggest surprise is LeBron James, whose deadpan performance and comic timing is spot-on.

And to avoid a potential spoiler, I was astonished when I read the credits to see who had been playing Amy's boss.

Trainwreck

Agree about the running time (they could have comfortably cut thirty minutes) and how good LeBron is but, much as I rate her, I don't think Shumer really "carries the whole film".

It only really takes off when Bill Hader comes in, mainly because there is a genuine chemistry and comedy between them.

Comment

Trainwreck

Yeah, he is good. But I also enjoyed her dim-witted muscle-bound lover … the cinema scene was very funny.

What I forgot to say was that, structurally, it's reminiscent of 70s Woody Allen. Which the director acknowledges—there's a recreation of a famous scene from Manhattan.

Comment

Trainwreck

the cinema scene was very funny.
        Is it based on all the good advice Steveeeee received when he went to see Madagascar on a date?

Comment

Trainwreck

Bill Hader is great. Hopefully he gets more big parts after this. He had a few good lines in Knocked Up.

Comment

Trainwreck

her dim-witted muscle-bound lover … the cinema scene was very funny.
            i read recently that was john cena, the lebron james of WWE. i had no idea who he was either.

i actually didn't really like the movie. too much of the humour was based on schumer's character being an asshole. i think british comedians do this sort of material a bit better anyway, but even when they do it i find it gets a bit wearing after a while. then there were all these appearances by celebrities (including ones i didn't even recognise). lebron's acting was quite good but the gag in every scene is "this is lebron james saying/doing this". and schumer's pratfall at the end was an uncomfortably apt metaphor for the entire final act.

structurally, it's reminiscent of 70s Woody Allen. Which the director acknowledges—there's a recreation of a famous scene from Manhattan.
            structurally maybe, but it didn't seem woody allenish at all to me. those woody allen characters talked and behaved like people, only slightly larger than life. the trainwreck characters are joke puppets. i mean the bill hader character is just a total idiot.

Comment

Trainwreck

I watched Amy Schumer and Louis CK standups in the same week last month. In both cases I was in stitches for the first 20 minutes and in both cases I turned them off before I got to the end. They don't have much in their repertoire. But if they can become millionaires by doing the same thing over and over again, then why not.

Comment

Trainwreck

Is Amy Schumer the one who does Mexican rapist jokes in her stand-up?

Comment

Trainwreck

Yes, but I think she's stopped doing material that offends anyone, anywhere, ever.

Comment

Trainwreck

Green Calx wrote: Is Amy Schumer the one who does Mexican rapist jokes in her stand-up?
                    You mean she actually ever jokes about something else besides her weight and gonads? That's one rare event...

Comment

Trainwreck

a bit unfair to schumer - a lot of her sketch stuff is brilliant.

Comment

Working...
                      X