X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ant Man - 2015

Ant Man - 2015
    *** 1/2
    Starring: Kirk Douglas's photo of Burt Douglas, Thomas the Tank Engine, Alice in Wonderland's Drink Me bottle.

Yes. I missed every one of them. Except the first Iron Man. My daughter was born in 2008. The first Iron Man was 2008. That was all I saw of the Marvel Universe.

I did manage to see Captain America, if only for Mr. Smith as the Red Skull. It was one of those last online streaming sites for movies near the end of that decade. Missed the Avengers, missed the other Iron Men, missed Thor, missed the Hulk.

Obviously by the time you're getting to Ant Man and the Wasp and the Vision and Power Man & Iron Fist, you're nearing the age of Alpha Flight and Power Pack. Kind of like when I started reading comics in the mid-80s, when it seemed like every big story was already long ago covered, and you're stuck with the scraps of scraps with scrapheap villians who will be fodder for Teen Titans Go! - or the Marvel version of that - in a few decades.

But Ant Man ended up covering so much more territory than so many other films, ended up being so much richer and vibrant and fun - much as ants cover so much of our earth and end up in so many places where they are least expected. Like crawling from the gearbox in my stickshift every morning.

While there's the typical corporate intellectual property debates and earpiece-wearing machine-gun-carrying Armani-suit wearing security, this was a movie about size. All about size. From the infinite to the infinitesimal. It's Alice's Drink Me bottle as drunk by Jackie Chan. It's fight scenes I've never seen, and have only been fantasized about until I said there was no way to ever see that happening in a movie, so there's no reason to keep imagining about it.

We're reaching a very neat point in CGI where B movies and tv shows are able to create many wonderful storytelling elements that are not comets destroying planets. Last year's Doctor Who, the one with the 2-dimensional baddies who shrunk the Tardis, was a big part of this. It's not the flying that CGI was invented and can be at its best, but flying through an air conditioning air vent past the 1,000 foot television set.

Add in a decent good guy, Michael Douglas in his FTW sarcastic best, a few colorful wisecracking people of color, Avon Barksdale, and one of the best final thirds in any action movie ever made, and that's a bonafide fun-ass summer B movie. And lawd, there ain't nothing like a bonafide fun-ass summer B movie.

Ant Man - 2015

************Spoiler***********

Apparently the Cure are in it too.
    Well their music, anyway.

Comment

Ant Man - 2015

Yes, it is a hilarious joke about a certain female voice when you hit a certain button on a certain phone.

I've always been susceptible to hyperbole, but the final fight certainly belongs up there with Jackie Chan, Kung Fu Hustle, or Buster Keaton's The General.

It's the best that cinema has to offer.

Comment

Ant Man - 2015

Yet you've only given it three-and-a-half stars? Tough crowd, man.

EDIT: Although I guess it all hinges on your scale.

Comment

Ant Man - 2015

Wood Harris. The last time I saw him he was peddling Slo-Mo.

THe whole idea of an Ant-Man film seemed preposterous to me once, but I'm sold after seeing a 16 second trailer.

Gonna take the kids to check this out on the weekend.

Comment

Ant Man - 2015

Took a half-star off because 30-40 minutes of it...it's not that I've seen it a hundred times before, it's that I've seen it a hundred times this week.

There's one groundbreaking fight scene inside a not-so-groundbreaking plot.

Comment

Ant Man - 2015

I like ants. I like Marvel. I like Phoebe's fella Mike off of Friends. I'll watch this on the weekend, I think.

Comment

Ant Man - 2015

I watched it last night. Thought it was better than Age of Ultron (the most recent MCU offering) and much more Guardians of the Galaxy in tone than e.g. Captain America or Thor.

I can see the strategic importance of bringing in cameo other characters to keep the wider context. It felt a bit forced to me, although I do like the Falcon.

For all the hype about it being a heist movie, it followed a very silmilar format to several other MCU/comic book movies. Unlikely lad plucked from onscurity, trained to be a hero, given fancy tech, pitted against military-industrialist corporate villain.

On the plus side it's funny. Michael Pena steals the comedy crown. Also it sets up the first female superhero in the MCU. The shrinking scenes and the scenes where Ant-Man changes sizes to e.g. jump through a keyhole are very clever.

Note - there are two post-film scene, one halfway through the credits and one right at the very very end.

Comment

Ant Man - 2015

Bah, I thought this was about something else.

Comment

Ant Man - 2015

MsD wrote: Bah, I thought this was about something else.
                    Antmusic is on the soundtrack.

Comment

Ant Man - 2015

(perks up and channels Mr Padge) That's right.

Comment

Ant Man - 2015

This was surprisingly good. Probably better than it should have been (considering the problems it had during development). I have to assume the reason it works so well is because ultimately it is just really fun, and everybody involved realized that.

It's certainly not perfect, and it has a few moments that could have been cut down (or out completely), but ultimately, it works.

Disney|Marvel's ability to maintain quality (in the "MCU" line) is still most impressive. I'm trying to think of similar run of films, and don't have any comparison. Even the 'weaker' ones are still pretty good overall (especially when compared to the DC and Sony failures of late).

Comment

Ant Man - 2015

Saw this earlier, I can only echo everything everyone has said here. Great fun. That last third is excellent, hope there's a follow up. 8.5/10

Comment

Working...
                          X