Sense8 is Fantastic TV...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.. & I'll Kill You If You Say different.

No joke, but: I'm struggling to think of a TV show as moving, involving, original, diverse and daring as Sense8.

And I know that of those here who watch all 12 episodes there will probably be equal numbers who love it and loathe it, as that seems to be the way with the violently divided views most Wachowski (and JM Strasczynski, come to that) seem to engender.

But please know that if you fall into the anti-Sense8 camp then you are a lost, dead, soulless, MONSTER.

This show is about love and joy and acceptance and love and family and belonging and hope and love.

I can't remember the last time any show left me feeling as positive about the Human condition (early Buffy, maybe).

Sense8 is a masterpiece of languid, long-form story-telling. Shit, not even that... it's really just a 10-and-a-half-hour movie masquerading as TV.

The highlights of this show are highlights of all TV this year and for many to come, and four major highs stand out:

Episode 4 manages to make me enjoy the 4 Non Blondes aural torture device "What's Going On?". A 'song' that has always left me wanting to punch a wall before now.

Episode 6's (now infamous) literal 'clusterfuck' is amongst the most daring and genuinely erotic sex scenes I've ever seen ('and I should know, I've seen a few!').

Can't remember which episode's scene in San Francisco where the entire premise of the show really kicks into gear: Nomi, in trouble, simply requests "Somebody help me..."

And then there's the Mommy of them all, the birthing scene. It had me in tears on first viewing and will have me in tears many times over in the future. It's no sin to enjoy hope and beauty in TV and Film and part of the utter joy of this scene is tempered by the realisation of how little uncynical positivity we see on screens big or small today.

One of the main reasons I believe the Wachowskis and Straczynski are mercilessly belittled by critics (Jupiter Ascending wasn't great but it wasn't the shitfest some critics really want you to believe) is that they are unapologetically un-cynical artists. They believe in unsexy, un-'edgy' and increasingly unacceptable virtues like hope, community, faith and connection.

I'm a very angry, cynical man and consequently a very lonely one. I want to believe. I love this show so much, I think, because I want to believe in the underlying message of Sense8: YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

I've said elsewhere (Unite Passions thread), I watched 10 mins and bailed.

Sorry T4M, but your review doesn't really make me want to watch it either. I mean, I accept I haven't watched enough to formulate a sensible opinion, but it seemed a bit stinky to me, were those German lads or South African?.. wishy washy.

Comment

TheFourMarys wrote:

Episode 4 manages to make me enjoy the 4 Non Blondes aural torture device "What's Going On?". A 'song' that has always left me wanting to punch a wall before now.
      This was the moment i finally locked in to this show. Before that i was watching but not connecting. There was something about that moment that felt glorious.

Another tick for this show is the Korean actress Donna Bae. She is captivating even when she is doing nothing but listening. I can't quantify it, she just has something that when the camera is on her you are reeled in.

Comment

wait, what ? I was waiting for this to hit Netflix... is it already out ?

Comment

It's on Netflix. It's been on my 'to watch' list for a few weeks but not been a priority I guess.

Comment

okay, so finish up season 5 of Fringe, watch last season of Walking Dead, catch up on Game of Thrones, maybe an episode of Daredevil, and then Sense8.

I'd best stay away from this thread.

Comment

Just (re)started this. Have a professional interest I now declare: a Chinese student doing a dissertation on trans representation in tv and film. My other Chinese and Malaysian supervisees are heart-sinkingly ill-prepared and unthinking (Good and Evil in Human Nature, anyone...? In a Film/Media dissertation...)
              So the initial presentation identifying this series as one object of study, not only for a serious trans character but also, in their view, an extended metaphor about transition, identity etc meant I went beyond the first 10 mins of the pilot (which I found overblown and a bit silly 1st time around).

Am definitely interested academically, in their project and the series as part of it. But 2.5 eps in, I'm not sure why I don't feel more positive towards it.

A place-swapping hi-concept popular novel normally wouldnt bother me, but there's something about the slickness of the visuals in this, how gorgeous everyone is, the cringey sex scenes...

Aware I may be ahead of various twists that help us reconsider etc...but am not feeling the love, just yet.
              Last edited by Felicity, I guess so; 14-11-2023, 13:51.

Comment

Also quickfire melodrama, no buildup, no depth (again. Maybe that'll be overcome with duration...)

Comment

And then they take the piss out of melodrama in the telenovela series-within-a-series. Get-out clause/meta-po-mo/even sillier than I first thought..?

Comment

Working...
                  X