Howard Stern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howard Stern

I read his first book way back while on a flight to Texas. It was quite funny. But his radio show. What a bunch of wank. I've given it another try today and it's complete nonsense. After five minutes it's plain annoying. And Robin can bugger off. All she does is giggle like a moron constantly.

Howard Stern

Never rated that guy, to be honest. He had little other than the kind of cheap-o, obvious shock-jock tactics and material that a certain type of American audience seems to lap up.

Recall Chris Evans guesting on one of his shows around 15 years ago and having no answer to Stern's lame jibes about the 'empire', etc: it was just a shame that a genuine UK comic or satirist couldn't have been there instead to make absolute mincemeat of him.

Comment

Howard Stern

He's as puerile as Roy Chubby Brown without being anywhere near as funny. I don't get it. It's like listening to two eight year olds shouting Fart!!! and then giggling hysterically for ten minutes.

Comment

Howard Stern

jv to thread

Comment

Howard Stern

Lowlife scum, right up there with Jerry Springer.

Comment

Howard Stern

Yes.

Was an intern for him in 1993/94.

I don't agree what PPV constitutes as "wank", as it tends to be Quentin Tarantino and not Patch Adams.

But there will never be a greater radio show. I enjoy Boomer and Carton these days, because they capture Howard's Mad Magazine side. However, Howard's comedy was the entire scope of the internet before the internet. Nevermind Al Gore...Howard primed and prepared the world for everything that was to come. It was behavioral and psychological and had all of the intracacies of an American high school homeroom.

I haven't listened since Artie Lange's near-suicide. I'm sad that Artie got crucified on Twitter, when he was making jokes that were made on the show for years. Howard captured so many forms of comedy, from the Catskills to Mad Magazine to coke comedy (or whatever Sam Kinison and Andrew Dice Clay were) to the jazz-age heroin weirdo East Village Times Square crackhead comedy. The ultimate of laughing with and laughing at.

My wife and I talk about the Jerry Spingerization of America. How the poor have battled over things they can battle over, be it a girlfriend or a street corner or a pair of sneakers, and Jerry put it on tv. There are many, many people in the urban cities I have taught that wave to me sheepishly, before asking "you're Steve, right ?" Is he a symptom or a cure ? The canary or the cancer ?

All I know is I was 19-year-old kid. Howard wrote his book, was interviewed by the Today Show and Barbara Walters and Phil Donahue most mornings. I'd walk in the hallway, just the two of us, and he always had a joke for me. He sent a giant Christmas basket to my house. That's how he treated me.

Comment

Howard Stern

America's Chris Moyles and as horrible as that sounds.

Comment

Howard Stern

I followed a link from the Jane Wiedlin dolphin video, to watch a Stern interview with her and Belinda Carlisle. All he did for the whole 20 minute interview was proposition Carlisle. It was incredibly demeaning, abusive and uncomfortable. You could see that she wanted to tell him to fuck off, but he's like the horny abusive teenager with the power and the authority and he knows it. He's a first-grade misogynistic cunt.

Comment

Howard Stern

jv, I've given the show plenty of tries. Hadn't in a long time and by chance I came across a 25min clip on YouTube, a recent one. I thought I'd give it one more go. It will be the last one.

All he basically did during the 25min was repeat the same crap joke over and over. Like a child who's learned a new word and keeps repeating it the whole afternoon. Robin was her usual self. Pissed off at something to begin with, keeping quiet in her corner. Howard trying to get her back into the show with small provocations. She kept quiet. Then she suddenly started to giggle like a loon and kept on giggling for the rest of the show. Re-run of past shows.

I can understand your special connection and I do believe it's a show he's putting on, where how he is on the show does not at all mean he must be like that in private. As a show I rate it a huge waste of my time, though. Never again.

Comment

Howard Stern

I would have replied:

Comedy is there for enjoyment. If you don't enjoy it, as Howard would always say, "change the channel."

Again, I haven't listened since 2010, so I can't comment on the show since then. I know the latest contract was only 3 days a week, and he's 62 now.

He is a 1st grade misogynistic cunt. It's why he had a female director for his film, and female publisher for his book, and female producer for his show. He was a huge supporter of Hillary Clinton during her Senate career for New York.

I would also argue he did a lot of heavy lifting in making gays and lesbians mainstream. Ask George Takei. He was probably the greatest influence on John Stewart, and paved the way for John Oliver. Ask them as well.

It was an organic comedy that came from the soil of The Great Migration and Long Island and the New York City of the 50s and 60s and 70s. Again, he took homeroom, and made it a show.

It's probably why Teen Titans Go! is my favorite comedy these days.

But I really can't be arsed.

The hours of laughing until my guts burst will never be taken away.

Comment

Howard Stern

I remember seeing him as Fartman at the MTV Awards years ago and feeling embarrassed for him.

Comment

Howard Stern

I remember that. Same feeling here. Coming down from the roof, wired up. The audience had no clue what to think. Mostly quiet they were. I guess that was his shot at making a cross-over and be a hit in Europe. It did not work.

Comment

Howard Stern

I think he's excellent. To think he's genuinely misogynist is to misinterpret his schtick. He's not a 'morning show'. He's not there for you to plug your book or your movie or whatever. He's there to entertain his audience, and if the quid pro quo for some air time is that you subject yourself to some off-colour banter, well...that's what you signed up for. Belinda didn't think she was going to into softball some Q&As with John Tesh.

If you listen often enough, you start to figure out how Howard talks to people. If they're ludicrous or dim, he's crass. If they're sincere, or civilians, or clearly unarmed for the battle, he's soft and sincere. He adjusts his tone brilliantly. And the thing that he does, that Marc Maron does, is actually listen. It's a rare skill and he's got it.

Comment

Howard Stern

Heartfelt insight into the man jv. I respect it and applaud you for going against the flow of opinion but I can't stand him. He appeals to the worst elements of American blue collar culture and his deplorable influence on country Casanovas everywhere is all to apparent. Many of the ladies of my acquaintance will testify to this.

Comment

Working...
                            X